Author Topic: Belintersat-1/Chinasat-15 - Long March 3B/G2 - Xichang - January 15 2016 1657UTC  (Read 22604 times)

Offline Adonis1

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 8

Online Galactic Penguin SST

I don't know if it is a good idea, but it might be worth checking the Belarus state TV channels to see if there is a slim chance of live coverage...  ::)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
I find this circumstance interesting:
The last orbital launch of 2015 AND the first (scheduled/known) orbital launch of 2016 (as of this posting) are from the same country and the same launch center, using the same model launch vehicle (different launch pads).

If all occurs as planned, this could even result in a "fun fact!" :)
why?? they've been launching new generation standardized CZ-3 family in this alternating launch pattern (LC2 then LC3 then LC2) since aty least around March Last year

It's a fairly minor statistic - from a technical perspective it isn't much different to consecutive launches of the same rocket from the same site during the year (which is occasionally seen during a quiet period for launches, and the new year tends to be a quiet period) - but from a quick trawl through Jonathan McDowell's launch log it has occurred on six previous occasions.

<snip>
Thank you, William.  I was searching through orbital launch records, but going forward from EOY/BOY 1979-1980, so I only found the last three examples on your list.

I have been away from the NSF forum for several days and was not able to explain my mention and interest in "fun facts."

Occasionally, in my work, I'm asked to provide "fun facts."  I try to provide facts that are "fun" but can also lead to a larger or deeper understanding.  I believe that you did so in your post above.  You wrote more clearly in your reply than what I had thus far drafted in my reply/elaboration.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: 01/15/2016 04:01 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Liftoff confirmed.   ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
yes, "satellite launch roar" heard in Xichang area (via microblogging)

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
and again...reference to earthquake!

Online Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Nordren

• Finland
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 109
Hmm...these shots have turned up on Weibo, allegedly of the Belintersat-1 launch...

There are unofficial reports of a successful launch. Let's see when will the official announcement come....  ::)

There are unofficial reports of a successful launch. Let's see when will the official announcement come....  ::)

Well, this photo should be good enough.  ;)

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
Xinhua success but no details

http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2016-01/16/c_128633847.htm

sohu.com with 00:57 launch time
Calls the satellite Belarus Tongxin Weixing Yi Hao  (Belarus Comms Satellite 1)
http://news.sohu.com/20160116/n434709769.shtml
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1969
  • Likes Given: 1156

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1969
  • Likes Given: 1156

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
2 objects have been cataloged by USSTRATCOM:

2016-001A/41238 in 197 x 41781 km x 26.38° (S/C)
2016-001B/41239 in 158 x 39804 km x 26.27° (CZ-3B 3rd stage)

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
Successful launch of the BELINTERSAT-1 satellite
 Created: January 15, 2016
January 15, 2016  At 19 hours 57 minutes Minsk time from the Xichang cosmodrome (China) was held the successful launch of the carrier rocket with the first Belarusian telecommunications satellite on board.
 BELINTERSAT-1 satellite was launched into earth orbit. All satellite systems are functioning normally. Positioning of the satellite at its given orbital position (51.5 degrees East) will be implemented in accordance with the program of flight.

source: (in Russian): http://belintersat.com/media-news/obzory/61-zapusk-sputnika

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8196
Expected mission codename is 867-31

Your crystal ball is working well. Launch time was 16:57:04.080.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator

Launch photos in hi-res:  :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography