Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 110787 times)

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
  • Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 625
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #240 on: 11/22/2017 03:57 am »
Ok.  So Discovery is supposed to begin about 10 years before TOS ?
We know Burnham was on Shenzou for 7 years before the encounter with the Klingons.
While searching for the injured Sarek in the mind meld we find out that Spock turned down an offer to join the Vulcan Expeditionary Group in order to join Starfleet before Burnham left Vulcan.
While running laps around Disco's deck Burnham tells Tilly to try to get on a Constitution Class Starship like the Enterprise (presumably under the command of Christopher Pike).

So, what has Spock been doing for 17 years between leaving Vulcan and the start of TOS ?

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
« Reply #241 on: 11/22/2017 04:11 am »
I assume that Discovery has "spored" into an alternate reality at the end of ep 9 therefore effectively disappearing from the face of the universe.   Are we going to see an inability to jump any more thus stranding them or they can jump but have no control over the destination ?

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #242 on: 11/22/2017 09:23 am »
Everyone seems to be judging Discovery by comparing it to TOS and TNG.  Try comparing it ti the new Trek movies instead.  Much closer tech wise and we know Burnam was raised on Vulcan with Spock so Discovery is happening in the same era as Star Trek/Into Darkness/Beyond/........?

It's also worth noting that, by the admission of the writers of Star Trek - Beyond, the three most recent Trek movies were not in the same universe as TOS and TNG but in a parallel and unconnected time-line with events occurring in different times or even not at all. It even has slightly different rules of physics (leading to the different warp drive effects.

Discovery, on the other hand, is supposed to be in the 'prime time-line', the unaltered main time-line that ran from Broken Bow to Star Trek - Nemesis. It is supposed to occur ten years before Where No Man Has Gone Before, the first Trek episode starring William Shatner, and in the same universe.

I'm still expecting some last-minute magic due to an exploding Spore Drive to make everything right in the final episode of season 1.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #243 on: 11/22/2017 09:47 am »
In tone and visual style; Discovery is much like the three most recent films. But better written than them and with much less lens flares and shaky cam...
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #244 on: 11/22/2017 01:22 pm »
While searching for the injured Sarek in the mind meld we find out that Spock turned down an offer to join the Vulcan Expeditionary Group in order to join Starfleet before Burnham left Vulcan.

I'm not sure of the timeline with that. Was Burnham denied admission to the Vulcan whatever before or after Spock? My take was that Burnham was the first to seek admission, and the Vulcan establishment gave Sarek an ultimatum of "either one or the other". So he chose Spock, who at some unspecified later date defied him and went to Starfleet Academy instead. So Sarek came away empty-handed from his choice of Spock over Burnham, and thus the falling-out between Sarek and Spock.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #245 on: 11/22/2017 03:27 pm »
^ Thorny's right

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #246 on: 11/22/2017 04:24 pm »
Everyone seems to be judging Discovery by comparing it to TOS and TNG.  Try comparing it ti the new Trek movies instead.  Much closer tech wise and we know Burnam was raised on Vulcan with Spock so Discovery is happening in the same era as Star Trek/Into Darkness/Beyond/........?
I'm still expecting some last-minute magic due to an exploding Spore Drive to make everything right in the final episode of season 1.
Me too. Eugenics laws and it's "hard on the navigator" might convince non-section 31 Federation from developing the spore drive further.  But it's too powerful for clandestine organizations and enemies of the Federation to ignore for the next couple hundred years.

Something has to make it completely untenable.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #247 on: 11/22/2017 04:46 pm »
Well given that its a Mcguffin, and there has already been mention of it being able to access other realities, and we know there is a mirror universe story on the way...

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
« Reply #248 on: 11/22/2017 08:35 pm »

I'm not sure of the timeline with that. Was Burnham denied admission to the Vulcan whatever before or after Spock? My take was that Burnham was the first to seek admission, and the Vulcan establishment gave Sarek an ultimatum of "either one or the other". So he chose Spock, who at some unspecified later date defied him and went to Starfleet Academy instead. So Sarek came away empty-handed from his choice of Spock over Burnham, and thus the falling-out between Sarek and Spock.

I re-watched that episode and yes, you are right.  My apologies.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #249 on: 11/23/2017 03:38 pm »
The thing that would make me happiest was if Discovery is the alternate reality and at the end of the show they end up in the actual, original series reality.

You know, with Klingons who look like Klingons.

« Last Edit: 11/24/2017 01:39 pm by Blackstar »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #250 on: 11/24/2017 11:47 am »
The thing that would make me happiest was if Discovery is the alternate reality and at the end of the show they end up in the actual, original series reality.

You know, with Klingons who look like Klingons.

Some have speculated the ship is now jumping realities and this is the TOS universe they are in now at the mid-season break.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #251 on: 11/24/2017 12:08 pm »
Ok.  So Discovery is supposed to begin about 10 years before TOS ?
We know Burnham was on Shenzou for 7 years before the encounter with the Klingons.
While running laps around Disco's deck Burnham tells Tilly to try to get on a Constitution Class Starship like the Enterprise (presumably under the command of Christopher Pike).

So, what has Spock been doing for 17 years between leaving Vulcan and the start of TOS ?

Well, for 13 years, at least, he served on the Enterprise.  The events with Pike on Talos IV were said to have occurred 13 years before the events on The Menagerie.  So he must have been in Starfleet Academy or in Starfleet.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #252 on: 11/27/2017 03:38 am »
 Finally binge watched the series. One of you could have warned me to delete the groundhog day episode. That just flat out sucked.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #253 on: 11/27/2017 03:49 am »
Every science fiction show at some point feels they have to do the 'Groundhog Day' storyline. TNG did it best with 'Cause and Effect' in it's fifth season.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #254 on: 11/27/2017 09:35 am »
Some have speculated the ship is now jumping realities and this is the TOS universe they are in now at the mid-season break.

IIRC, Bryan Fuller's original drafts of the Discovery scripts (which were dismissed as 'unfilmable') contained a multiple-realities scenario, the resolution for which Sarek would prove pivotal. Maybe we're finally getting into that story arc.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #255 on: 12/26/2017 07:57 pm »
Supposed to pick up again around January 7, 2018 keep a lookout for it...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #256 on: 12/26/2017 08:09 pm »
Finally binge watched the series. One of you could have warned me to delete the groundhog day episode. That just flat out sucked.

I thought that was one of the best. Harry Mudd was great. The ending was a bit rushed though.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #257 on: 01/07/2018 09:08 pm »
Reminder, season picks up tonight check your listings...

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #258 on: 01/08/2018 02:20 pm »
Going to have to re-watch it again as I was somewhat distracted by a "humdrum" Zuma launch and landing... ;)

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #259 on: 01/08/2018 07:24 pm »
"Despite Yourself" was excellent. Directed by "Next Generation" vet Jonathan Frakes. Major story-advancing here, playing into rumors and conjecture which began last fall. But with a shocking plot development I don't think anyone saw coming.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography