Author Topic: LIVE: Cygnus OA-4 (CRS-4) BERTHING/ISS STAY/EOM UPDATES  (Read 80833 times)

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065
Re: LIVE: Cygnus OA-4 (CRS-4) RNDZ/BERTHING/ISS STAY UPDATES
« Reply #180 on: 12/12/2015 03:41 am »
Berthing (1h30m, audio starts at 2m45s):

« Last Edit: 12/12/2015 04:14 am by yg1968 »

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #181 on: 12/12/2015 02:59 pm »
some real nice sunrise views

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2345
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #182 on: 12/14/2015 06:01 am »
When in January are the unberthing/release & reentry dates for Cygnus OA-4?
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline InfraNut2

Photobombing the docking Soyuz.

(BTW: The stupid rumor spread by TASS that interference from the Cygnus caused the soyuz docking problem has proven false. It was a soyuz thruster that misbehaved. Details are in the soyuz docking live thread.)
« Last Edit: 12/16/2015 10:40 am by InfraNut2 »

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
« Reply #184 on: 12/18/2015 01:23 am »
Scott is already having trouble stowing items removed from Cygnus.  The locations the ground suggests are already full.  The choreography of removing and inserting into Cygnus is a challenging one that isn't starting off well.  A discussion is going on right now and they are again referring to the EMU I mentioned earlier, not EMU parts.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here. Are you saying you think a whole EMU came up on Cygnus?

The manifest I have seen for Cygnus has no HUT, only these other EMU parts and stuff:

EVA gear: 500 pounds

* New SAFER spacewalk jetpack

* Legs and gloves for spacesuit

* Tethers, filters, batteries, velcro and tool bags

* Airlock Cooling Loop Recovery Kit

I am assuming the EMU Scott is trying to stow somewhere is either (a) and old one scheduled for return on SpX-8/9 or (b) a third spacesuit moved out of the airlock to make room for preparations for the upcoming contingency spacewalk (for SSU R&R).

In the Dec 11 ISS status report it says
"Orbital ATK (OA)-4 Cargo Operations: Kelly completed 3 hours of OA-4 cargo operations including transfer of Extravehicular Activity Mobility Unit (EMU) 3008."

EMU 3008,as far as I can tell, last flew on STS-133 and was returned to Earth at the end of that flight in 2011.
So that implies it's a new EMU (HUT/PLSS at least) flown up on OA-4, I think.

-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline InfraNut2

[...]

In the Dec 11 ISS status report it says
"Orbital ATK (OA)-4 Cargo Operations: Kelly completed 3 hours of OA-4 cargo operations including transfer of Extravehicular Activity Mobility Unit (EMU) 3008."

EMU 3008,as far as I can tell, last flew on STS-133 and was returned to Earth at the end of that flight in 2011.
So that implies it's a new EMU (HUT/PLSS at least) flown up on OA-4, I think.

That is good news! Replacement EMU delivery was overdue for ISS.

Thanks Jonathan for noticing something I missed. I also read the ISS status reports, but in a very quick and cursory way, so I sometimes miss things. Since the serial number was quoted, this is highly likely to be correct, even though errors, misunderstandings, and such are not uncommon in these reports. Therefore, the manifest I based my assumptions on was likely either not up-to-date or not quite correct...

BTW: Even though NASA obviously has worked out the Cygnus integration for EMUs, I still expect (almost) all to be transferred on Dragon in the future, since (a) NASA obviously very much want their used EMUs returned either for refurbishment or for spare parts and/or other uses (depending on status) and (b) it will be the most convenient practice for the modified Dragon rack for HUT return to hold the replacement HUT on the up-hill trip. The way I read the EMU&OA-4 situation, I guess the ISS managers, already impatient with old EMUs, on-ISS-refurbishment and delays, when the EMU loss on SpX-7 occurred, changed the manifest of OA-4 to include a full EMU since expediency had become more important than convenience by then and they had the time to do the integration work.

edits:very minor, except addition of final long sentence
« Last Edit: 12/19/2015 10:22 am by InfraNut2 »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #186 on: 02/01/2016 03:56 pm »
Did this happen in January?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737
« Reply #187 on: 02/01/2016 04:02 pm »
Did this happen in January?

From the ISS EXP 46 Thread.

ISS Daily Summary Report – 01/29/16

Orbital ATK (OA)-4 Cargo Operations:  Kopra and Peake completed transferring Cygnus cargo to ISS.  The crew will start loading trash into Cygnus next week.  Cygnus is scheduled to unberth from ISS on February 19th.

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8196
« Last Edit: 02/02/2016 03:32 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #189 on: 02/02/2016 02:36 pm »
ISS Daily Summary Report – 02/1/16

Posted on February 1, 2016

Orbital ATK (OA)-4 Cargo Operations:  The crew completed transferring Cygnus cargo to ISS on Friday.   Today, Kelly started loading trash into Cygnus.  An estimated 6.5 hours remain to complete the trash loading.  Cygnus is scheduled to unberth from ISS on February 19th.
Jacques :-)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: 02/15/2016 01:58 pm »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: 02/17/2016 03:35 pm »
February 16, 2016

MEDIA ADVISORY M16-012
NASA TV to Broadcast U.S. Cargo Ship Departure from Space Station

After delivering more than 7,000 pounds of cargo to support dozens of science experiments from around the world, Orbital ATK’s Cygnus cargo spacecraft is set to leave the International Space Station Friday, Feb. 19. NASA Television will provide live coverage of the event beginning at 7 a.m. EST.

The Cygnus spacecraft, which arrived at the station Dec. 9, will be detached from the Earth-facing side of the station's Unity module using the Canadarm2 robotic arm, operated by ground controllers at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston. NASA’s Mission Control Center will maneuver Cygnus into place and Expedition 46 robotic arm operators Scott Kelly and Tim Kopra of NASA will give the command for its 7:25 a.m. release.

Once the spacecraft is a safe distance from the station, its engines will fire twice, pushing it into Earth's atmosphere where it will burn up over the Pacific Ocean. The deorbit burn and reentry of Cygnus will not air on NASA TV.

Experiments delivered on Cygnus supported NASA and other research investigations during Expeditions 45 and 46, in areas such as biology, biotechnology, and physical and Earth science -- research that impacts life on Earth. Investigations included a new life science facility that will support studies on cell cultures, bacteria and other microorganisms, a microsatellite deployer and the first microsatellite to be deployed from the space station. Experiments exploring the behavior of gases and liquids, clarifying the thermo-physical properties of molten steel, and testing flame-resistant textiles also were delivered.

The Cygnus resupply craft launched Dec. 6 on a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, for the company’s fourth NASA-contracted commercial station resupply mission.

For NASA TV schedule and video streaming information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

For more information about Orbital ATK's mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/orbitalatk

For more information about the International Space Station, and its research and crews, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/station
Jacques :-)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
« Reply #192 on: 02/18/2016 08:21 am »
Packing of trash is complete and the hatch has been closed.  The grand "froo froo" coffee/Espresso experiment is apparently over.  The crew asked permission to include the coffee maker in Cygnus but was denied permission because the necessary clearances/approvals could not be obtained this late in the process.  Disposal is slated on the next Cygnus.
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline theonlyspace

• Rocketeer
  • AEAI Space Center, USA
  • Liked: 122
  • Likes Given: 811
« Reply #193 on: 02/18/2016 08:42 am »
I thought the Espresso coffee machine was a permanent  addition to the space station galley. At least the US  side and on supply flights  they be getting new supplies to keep making espresso to drink for future crews, Which of the US  crew   not like it and want to trash it? Seems pretty silly and wasteful.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #194 on: 02/18/2016 01:21 pm »

I thought the Espresso coffee machine was a permanent  addition to the space station galley. At least the US  side and on supply flights  they be getting new supplies to keep making espresso to drink for future crews, Which of the US  crew   not like it and want to trash it? Seems pretty silly and wasteful.

Does seem a little odd and wasteful of money just to effectively chuck it in the bin.

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2345
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #195 on: 02/18/2016 03:13 pm »
I agree. Who would not want coffee one breakfast a day?
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #196 on: 02/18/2016 03:36 pm »
When each pound of coffee costs close to $30,000, coffee might not be a priorty.

- Ed Kyle

Offline mtakala24

Well, the espresso machine was indeed an experiment assigned only to expeditions 43/44 and 45/46. I guess the crew time is not going to be spent on running and maintaining it any more, so why save it?

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/1769.html

Offline MattMason

• Space Enthusiast
  • Indiana
  • Liked: 772
  • Likes Given: 2016
« Reply #198 on: 02/18/2016 07:09 pm »
When each pound of coffee costs close to $30,000, coffee might not be a priorty.

- Ed Kyle

My wife works for Starbucks. From here on in, given the cost/weight ratio of launch above, I don't want to hear anyone complaining about how expensive they think their coffee might be. :)

Since there isn't any other coffee options I'm aware of, it's a little sad that it was considered an experiment and less of an appliance. But a station and its supplies use resources and every watt must be counted.

On a long-duration flight, however, I can see that device going to appliance status and engineers cannibalizing parts off the ECLSS to keep the space-coffee maker running to ensure that colonists get their daily java lest a mutiny occur.
"Why is the logo on the side of a rocket so important?"
"So you can find the pieces." -Jim, the Steely Eyed

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #199 on: 02/18/2016 08:08 pm »

Since there isn't any other coffee options I'm aware of, it's a little sad that it was considered an experiment and less of an appliance. But a station and its supplies use resources and every watt must be counted.

On a long-duration flight, however, I can see that device going to appliance status and engineers cannibalizing parts off the ECLSS to keep the space-coffee maker running to ensure that colonists get their daily java lest a mutiny occur.

They still have coffee onboard, just not expresso.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography