Author Topic: Cosmonaut Georgy Mikhailovich Grechko died  (Read 3760 times)

Offline B. Hendrickx

• Liked: 1891
  • Likes Given: 67
Cosmonaut Georgy Mikhailovich Grechko died
« on: 04/08/2017 10:25 am »
Russian media are reporting that former cosmonaut Georgi Grechko has passed away at age 85. He made missions to Salyut-4, Salyut-6 and Salyut-7.

Online Kasponaut

• Denmark
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: Cosmonaut Georgy Mikhailovich Grechko died
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2017 10:42 am »
RIP Georgi! I met him once in Tycho Brahe Planetarium in Copenhagen in December 1989. He was walking around in the exhibition for himself. I was 14 and said to my dad. I think I know who that is. A Soviet cosmonaut. I walked over and said hello and got his autograph 😉 He seemed very friendly and kind 😊
« Last Edit: 04/08/2017 10:45 am by Kasponaut »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2017 12:03 pm »
R.I.P. Georgy Mikhailovich Grechko.....

Today, April 8, 2017, on the 86th year of his life, twice Hero of the Soviet Union, Hero of Czechoslovakia, pilot-cosmonaut Georgy Mikhailovich Grechko died.

Georgy GRECHKO was born on May 25, 1931 in Leningrad.  In 1955 he graduated with honors from the Leningrad Mechanical Institute, he worked at OKB-1.  In 1966 he entered the cosmonaut detachment.  Georgy GRECHKO made 3 space flights with a total duration of 134 days 20 hours 32 minutes 58 seconds and one spacewalk for 1 hour 28 minutes.

From January 11 to February 9, 1975, together with Alexei Gubarev, made a flight on the Soyuz-17 spacecraft as a flight engineer.  December 10, 1977 - March 16, 1978 together with Yuri ROMANENKO flew on the Soyuz-26 spacecraft as a flight engineer of the spacecraft and the Salyut-6 orbital station.  On September 17-26, 1985, Georgy GRECHKO as a flight engineer together with commander Vladimir Vasyutin and cosmonaut-researcher Alexander VOLKOV made the third space flight on the Soyuz T-14 spacecraft and the Salyut-7 orbital station.  This is the last space flight Georgy GRECHKO performed at the age of 54 years.

ROSKOSMOS condoles with relatives and friends of Georgy Mikhailovich GRECHKO.  Everlasting memory.

https://www.roscosmos.ru/23423/

Jacques :-)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #3 on: 04/08/2017 12:50 pm »
I'm genuinely sad to hear this! He was a very accomplished man with a memorable smile. One of the best of his generation and the same age as my Father as well! :(
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: 04/08/2017 01:01 pm »
I met him in the mid-1980s when he came to Washington, DC. Got to have lunch with him. We sat around a small table in somebody's office and ate sandwiches. He was a really outgoing and happy guy. Gregarious is the proper word. He told some funny stories, including how the two cosmonauts who went into the Salyut station after it had been empty for many months and been coated in urine should be declared "Heroes of the Soviet Union!"

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #5 on: 04/10/2017 01:14 pm »
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline Ben E

• Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: 04/17/2017 08:39 pm »
Very sad news. I met Mr. Grechko at Jodrell Bank in Cheshire in April 1994. I was 17 at the time and spotted him in the bookshop. I asked him about his EVA with Romanenko and, despite the language difficulties, he was very patient and keen to understand me. When he realised what I was asking, a broad smile crossed his face and he told me the tale that he has told many times over.

I also have his autograph. He was a lovely, lovely man.

Offline slavnus

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: 04/18/2017 04:16 am »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight