Author Topic: SpaceX 'Roomba' (Rocket Grabbing Robot) - Updates and Discussion  (Read 72308 times)

Offline TripD

• E. Clampus Launchus
  • Liked: 336
  • Likes Given: 227
Re: SpaceX Droneship 'Roomba' Envisioning
« Reply #120 on: 03/21/2017 12:06 AM »
It looks to be around 10 meters on a side.  Hopefully it won't need to do too much maneuvering during the operation (whatever that is ).

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 381
  • Likes Given: 341
« Reply #121 on: 03/21/2017 12:32 AM »
It is bigger than anyone speculated, about 40 feet on a side. So great to finally see the thing. Also, looks like it will be dragging it cord.

Matthew
« Last Edit: 03/21/2017 12:34 AM by matthewkantar »

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 365
  • Likes Given: 269
« Reply #122 on: 03/21/2017 12:35 AM »
There's no pictures of the hole, but this one makes it pretty clear that they replaced the center panel.

That could easily be paint. The edges are fuzzy. The color matches other repainted areas such as under the light/generator stand.

No, they have definitely replaced two deck plates there, but I don't see any signs of a change of material or anything suggesting anything other than general maintenance and a coat of paint.

Presumably the steel was getting roasted/warping from repeated touchdowns in exactly the same spot...  and that's an incredibly nice problem to have! :) 
« Last Edit: 03/21/2017 12:39 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #123 on: 03/21/2017 12:36 AM »
It is bigger than anyone speculated, about 40 feet on a side. So great to finally see the thing. Also, looks like it will be dragging it cord.

An umbilical..  What did you expect?  That it'd be wireless?  It has to get power and comms from somewhere.
« Last Edit: 03/21/2017 12:37 AM by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 751
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #124 on: 03/21/2017 12:38 AM »
And here is a picture that reddit user aftersteveo just posted of the roomba on the deck of Of Course I Sill Love You.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/60k0qw/i_took_a_helicopter_ride_over_ocisly_today_and/

Edit: Added a close in crop of the image
The picture tells an interesting story. Look at the circular tread marks on the deck - and the rectangular dark ones. Also note that the "X" is freshly painted on the deck.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline matthewkantar

« Reply #125 on: 03/21/2017 12:38 AM »
They seem to have been maneuvering it already, I don't think these tracks and others are from tele-handlers or person-lifts. Give a clue to the running gear underneath, as of the large motors at the periphery.

Matthew

Offline matthewkantar

« Reply #126 on: 03/21/2017 12:42 AM »

An umbilical..  What did you expect?  That it'd be wireless?  It has to get power and comms from somewhere.

Its got 1600 square feet of deck area. Even at a much small size, i would have thought it would have onboard power even when I thought it would be a lot smaller. A gen set and tankage could be worked in there no problem, WIFI for the coms. So yeah, I am a little surprised it isn't cordless.

Matthew

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #127 on: 03/21/2017 12:44 AM »

I think Elon knows a guy who could help battery power the thing...

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
« Reply #128 on: 03/21/2017 12:47 AM »
I think the two rectangular dark areas on the "Beast" are tracks for moving...

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
« Reply #129 on: 03/21/2017 12:50 AM »

Its got 1600 square feet of deck area. Even at a much small size, i would have thought it would have onboard power even when I thought it would be a lot smaller. A gen set and tankage could be worked in there no problem, WIFI for the coms. So yeah, I am a little surprised it isn't cordless.

Matthew
Doubt it. It's too low profile for a genset and tankage. Plus, why bother? There's plenty of power in the generators for the ASDS already...

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #130 on: 03/21/2017 12:51 AM »

Given that it doesn't have far to go and only has to get out unassisted (not back), I just don't see the need for added complexity.

It might or might not have it's own power supply, but this umbilical could also provide a tether to keep the thing on deck if gets caught outside in a blow..
« Last Edit: 03/21/2017 12:52 AM by CameronD »

Offline matthewkantar

« Reply #131 on: 03/21/2017 12:56 AM »
I think the two rectangular dark areas on the "Beast" are tracks for moving...

I think you are correct. The gear that is along side of the tracks definitely looks like the drive train. The track marks on the deck are probably from the lifts and tele handlers they use.

Matthew

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #132 on: 03/21/2017 01:04 AM »
And here is a picture that reddit user aftersteveo just posted of the roomba on the deck of Of Course I Sill Love You.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/60k0qw/i_took_a_helicopter_ride_over_ocisly_today_and/

I'm just amazed at how much it looks like what we thought it would look like.  Perhaps I shouldn't be??

Not that I'd expect anything less from NSF...  Nothing (much) to see here.. move along!  ;)  ;D

Offline Comga

• Liked: 1162
  • Likes Given: 969
« Reply #133 on: 03/21/2017 02:11 AM »

I'm just amazed at how much it looks like what we thought it would look like.  Perhaps I shouldn't be??

Not that I'd expect anything less from NSF...  Nothing (much) to see here.. move along!  ;)  ;D

Yes!  Flying Beaver's model is nearly perfect, except for the four meter tall guy on the side!   :D
Once that is fixed and the pistons are angled inward instead of outward, it's like he knew someone on the design team.
Well done FB!
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 3639
  • Likes Given: 754
« Reply #134 on: 03/21/2017 02:48 AM »
Large, it is...

It looks like the area in the middle, between the four arm "shoulder" points - is what most of us came to think it would look like (I originally was in the "Four little weld-down robots" camp.

It dwarfs the grade-all that's next to it...

Top-center is a red-colored pipe-looking thing.  Fire suppression?  Or some random tool bag.  Really hard to tell.

Bottom-center is a mine-me shop vac.  Cute.

The four shoulder joints are mounted exactly where the Roomba is not thick - the four wells.  And then everything else extends way around both the shoulders and the tracks.  Head scratch.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline winkhomewinkhome

• La Grande OR
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #135 on: 03/21/2017 02:58 AM »

Edit: Added a close in crop of the image

Do we see a structural similarity?  Unit slides under the stage, latches onto the launch lugs/restraints, and assuming the unit is near center to the barge "locks down" the combined cradle and the rocket!

One other thought...maybe what we are looking at is a pre-cradle concept leading to bigger things to come?
« Last Edit: 03/21/2017 03:10 AM by winkhomewinkhome »
Dale R. Winke

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #136 on: 03/21/2017 04:06 AM »
Large, it is...

It looks like the area in the middle, between the four arm "shoulder" points - is what most of us came to think it would look like (I originally was in the "Four little weld-down robots" camp.

It dwarfs the grade-all that's next to it...

Yep.  But big it needs to be to secure a stage that's even bigger.  :)

Top-center is a red-colored pipe-looking thing.  Fire suppression?  Or some random tool bag.  Really hard to tell.

My money would be on the random tool bag.  ;)

The four shoulder joints are mounted exactly where the Roomba is not thick - the four wells.  And then everything else extends way around both the shoulders and the tracks.  Head scratch.

If they're going to do anything much with those hold-downs, they'll also need a good deal of lateral support to ensure this thing can't possibly tip over in any direction when hanging onto the stage - hence the really low ground clearance, heavy duty surround and a myriad of bolts to hold it all together.

It'll be great to see this gadget in action.  Presumably it'll be front-and-center in the next landing telecast.. can't wait!

EDIT:  Although it needs to be heavy to stay on board, it does seem that they went to a bit of trouble to not make it TOO heavy - hence the holes in the side-structure.  The hole in the middle has me intrigued though - maybe that's simply weight-reduction also?

« Last Edit: 03/21/2017 04:14 AM by CameronD »

Offline TripD

• E. Clampus Launchus
  • Liked: 336
  • Likes Given: 227
« Reply #137 on: 03/21/2017 04:09 AM »
Heh. I went for the most natural unit of measurement in that pic.  The foot.

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #138 on: 03/21/2017 05:04 AM »
I'm thinking...
With no cover over the tracks, that perhaps the tracks can be raised, to lower the deck. (Similar to raising the wheels on a lawnmower). This would  lower the base directly onto the deck. The track axles then only need to support the weight of the Xoomba. The jacks would be able to transfer the rocket weight straight through to the deck.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 3639
  • Likes Given: 754
« Reply #139 on: 03/21/2017 05:17 AM »
Heh. I went for the most natural unit of measurement in that pic.  The foot.
Nautical feet.  And lots of them.  I'm still recalibrating.

It is certainly thick enough to transfer bending loads from side to side.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Tags: