Author Topic: Space Shuttle: Developing an Icon 1972-2013 by Dennis Jenkins  (Read 40041 times)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
And it is amazing!!!

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
Ronpur, we need a bit more of a review than that...  :-)

Offline shuttlelegs

• Regular
  • Gladstone Qld Australia
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 8
No. Amazing pretty much says it all. It arrived today 4 days early here in sunny , very hot central Queensland Australia.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
Ronpur, we need a bit more of a review than that...  :-)

I haven't had time to do much more than thumb through it.  My cat died this morning, he had been ill.  So, we spent the day dealing with that. 

But, I am looking forward to studying it more.

But, yes, amazing sums it up pretty darn well!! 

EDIT: Well, after going through volume 1, I have been so overwhelmed by the by the amounts of charts and drawings.  There are so many concepts of the shuttle that I had never seen before.  And I have just been looking at the pictures so far.
« Last Edit: 03/16/2017 11:05 pm by Ronpur50 »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
Really pleased to see all the positive feedback about the book.

Amazon US now says:

In stock on March 28, 2017.

Makes me think they sold out of their initial order and are getting more soon? Unfortunately no update on Amazon UK yet.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
Too long; must read if one is a Shuttle nerd/geek.  It's going to take weeks and months to digest, but full of details.

I'm not sure if it answers all the questions in the Q&A threads here, but it's probably as good as it gets for us outsiders.  I stopped on the ET tumble valve in the technical description volume because I remember that being asked about here -- there's a nice extra level to the "answer."  (At least for me.)

(Oh yeah, and there's lots of rare pictures, diagrams from interface control documents...)

Online mtakala24

Email from Amazon DE says that my copy will be here by Wednesday, 29 March!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
I have been reading volume 3 first, right now going over the process to get STS-1 up.  It is very interesting, some things I knew, but many I did not know.  Or at least knew in passing.  This is an amazing history.  It reminds me of David Baker's huge History of Manned Space Flight, so full of so many details.  I am happy to have this set.

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
Got mine today. I simply do not have the words to do it justice. Thank you, Mr. Jenkins.

Offline penguin44

• Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 334
What a hefty set of great books. I think these weigh about the same as the stack itself. Great read thus far

Offline HighlandRay

• Scotland, UK
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
Still waiting for Amazon UK to give a release date.
To old to die young

Online mtakala24

My copy (from Amazon DE) shipped from the UK (Tamworth) warehouse.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
My copy (from Amazon DE) shipped from the UK (Tamworth) warehouse.

Typical! I have no UK delivery date either, but I just noticed that the UK price has increased by about £19 ! If you already have it on order you'll be ok - my order price hasn't changed. So don't cancel your order - we'll have to be patient I guess.

Offline gwiz

• Cornwall
  • Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 29
My Amazon UK copy arrived today and on first thumb-through it certainly lives up to expectations.

Offline Blanik

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 6
Well, mine shipped 8th of March with Fedex, spent the better part of two weeks in a warehouse because of Customs issues and missing buyer contact info. After sorting this out a delivery attempt was made - attempt, because I personally have to accept and sign for the delivery and of course during Fedex' working hours I am off to work. Now I rerouted the shipment to my company - in case this works (Reception calls me, I'm free to go and get it - no meetings, link calls etc.), I may receive it by tomorrow or the day after.
Almost stopped looking forward to...

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
My Amazon UK copy arrived today and on first thumb-through it certainly lives up to expectations.

Good to see Amazon UK have shipped at least one copy! But still no info from them on when I might receive mine :(

Do you mind if I ask when you placed you order? I ordered mine on 11 Feb

Offline Blanik

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 6
Actually ordered it on 25th of December 2016. Invoice date is 28th of February 2017.

Online mtakala24

My Amazon DE order arrived today (from the UK warehouse). I placed my order on 24th of December 2016.

Edit: Clearly they are shipping by the order dates...
« Last Edit: 03/27/2017 12:52 pm by mtakala24 »

Online mtakala24

Sorry for spamming, but...

Its very substantial indeed. Some minor print quality issues, but I won't be bothered with them.

This is going to take a year to read through. Lets hope Chris won't acquire as he would disappear into a black hole and stop writing articles. :D

Congratulations to Rob Pearlman for getting into a list with a number of great names.

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
:)
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography