Author Topic: Spacecraft Films  (Read 57127 times)

Offline carmelo

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spacecraft Films
« Reply #20 on: 01/17/2008 08:21 pm »
spacecraftfilms - 17/1/2008  9:50 AM

I have had a number of inquiries on this issue. Let me ask a question back: Would you rather see us do Skylab this year (6 - 8 disc set) or enlarge the Gemini set to 6 DVDs?
Well,i love Gemini,so I would be happy to see a 6 disc set tomorrow,but my question was not about this year. In your future project  are one more large Gemini set? (with selection of space suit for Gemini)? P.S. Skylab could be 8 disc set????? Wow!

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #21 on: 01/17/2008 10:05 pm »
If I may... I'll weigh in here- since I already own the current Gemini set (it was one of the first ones that I got from SCF) and have watched it a bizillion times. I really am looking forward to the Skylab set myself. I'd advise that others buy the current Gemini set that you have- because it will keep them busy for nearly an year :) and then just buy the new one and add it to your collection (which is what I will do)

The Skylab program has always been largely overlooked and it would be best, historically, if that documentation was gotten into the public view first.

On the Gemini set, it would be good if the "Play all" buttons were placed a bit more handy. Also if the individual mission segments could be done in a "Play all" track it would be cooler. The documentary section, however, is just terrific- don't change a thing- you could ell that to prime time.

BTW- It's great to see Spacecraft Films running an ad here on Nasaspaceflight.com. It's the joining of two fantastic sources.

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
    • Challenger 498 NAR Section
« Reply #22 on: 01/17/2008 10:37 pm »
I have the Saturn - V set, and still haven't gotten tired of watching it (yes, I know, Spacecraft Films can be very, very addicting!)....
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline AndrewSTS

• New York
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #23 on: 01/17/2008 10:39 pm »
Rob in KC - 17/1/2008  12:45 PM

spacecraftfilms - 17/1/2008  12:11 PM

STS-1 is covered in our Space Shuttle: First Flights set, which is in production now. This will cover development, approach and landing tests, and STS 1- 4.

Awesome!!

For sure! And a fitting tribute to Columbia as her anniversary approaches.

Offline Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #24 on: 01/17/2008 10:58 pm »
All I can say is, I am the proud owner of the original STS-109 and Apollo 11 (3-disc) sets (before the repackaging), and I'm thrilled with them!  I have the rest of the manned missions on my wish list for when our house quits eating quite so much of our budget.  I am very pleased to see the shuttle missions coming out!  My goal is to begin collecting them before I go back and get the rest of Apollo and the Mercury and Gemini sets.  Keep up the good work!  The footage is complete, cleaned up well, and professionally edited, assembled , and packaged.  A value product!

Offline STS Tony

• Extreme Veteran
  • Los Angeles
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #25 on: 01/19/2008 11:06 pm »
spacecraftfilms - 17/1/2008  12:11 PM

STS-1 is covered in our Space Shuttle: First Flights set, which is in production now. This will cover development, approach and landing tests, and STS 1- 4.

Put me down for one!  :cool:

Offline carmelo

« Reply #26 on: 01/21/2008 06:26 pm »
I have:Mercury set ,Gemini set,Apollo-1,Apollo-11,Apollo-15,Apollo-16,Apollo-17,and "Man in space,USAF space programs".

Offline heng44

• Regular
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: 01/21/2008 06:35 pm »
I have the Mercury set, the Gemini set, both Saturn sets, Apollo-1, Apollo-7 through Apollo-17, the X-15 set and various other sets. All I can say is: they are the best there is!

Ed

Offline George CA

• Veteran
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #28 on: 01/21/2008 06:40 pm »
I'll be raiding their online store in a month or so. Thanks for the thread. Good idea whoever set this up as I saw the ad on site, but there's nothing like personal feedback from others who have experience of the store.
"One Percent for Space"

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8563
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #29 on: 01/21/2008 07:07 pm »
I have the 3 dvd Challenger set, and I can recommend that to everyone here...currently waiting for 2 STS dvd's...And I'm planning to buy more...

Jacques :-)

Offline Apolloman

• France
    • De la Terre à la Lune
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #30 on: 01/21/2008 11:08 pm »
I have Gemini set, MSC Report 1964-1969 set, Mission to the Moon set, Apollo I, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI and XVII set...
Currently waiting for "The Cape: A History of the Florida Launch Facilities" set, and...

... Creating Apollo and The Moonlander "oulala" when they realased

Not bad for a "small French"

Paul Cultrera
webmaster du site http://www.de-la-terre-a-la-lune.com/
consacré au programme Apollo.

Le savoir est un trésor à partager avec tout le monde...

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #31 on: 01/22/2008 03:55 am »
All of the video's Mark Gray has done have been extraordinary.

I have quite a few, and have watched almost all of them.   You learn and see something new from each and every one.

I hope that eventually Mark is able to document the entire US space program from start to present day, as an archive of what these early years have been like.

I wish every space-faring nation would document all of the different programs in a similar way too.

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline carmelo

« Reply #32 on: 01/27/2008 02:45 pm »
Confirmed the Skylab  8 disc-set?

Offline spacecraftfilms

« Reply #33 on: 01/27/2008 05:04 pm »
Depends on where the cuts are made. There are a lot of onboards (16mm), a good bit of TV, and a large amount of surrounding material.

I have sketched out a 6, 8 and possibly even a 9 or 10 disc set. I don't know yet. If I had to guess right now I would say more than a 6, but we'll see.

This is a project that is in early production/research now for these final decisions to be made this summer, for release this fall/winter.

Offline carmelo

« Reply #34 on: 01/28/2008 03:43 pm »
The EVAs from Skylab missions are complete in the set?

Offline SpaceUSMC

• Space Marine.
  • Wisconsin
« Reply #35 on: 01/29/2008 07:56 am »
This is great! I think my wife is going to get me a few sets for our aniversery. I guess I better buy her another ring or somthing!

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #36 on: 02/04/2008 03:10 pm »
Hello everybody and "spacecraftfilms" in particular!

I have purchased some of the Spacecraftfilms dvd's as well and have enjoyed them a lot. Two questions:

- Are there any plans to join forces with the ALSJ and add subtitles to the Apollo dvd's? - I REALLY believe that should be done. The sound quality and technical jargon make the sound track quite unintelligible many times. It would most probably also help non-native speakers as well, even though the subtitles would of course just be in English.

- Any plans to move to HDTV? - Maybe it won't make a big difference for the TV transmissions, but there should be enough resolution in the 16mm to make it more than worthwhile. Would love to see transfers done at 1080 pixels across!

Yours,
Oersted

Offline spacecraftfilms

« Reply #37 on: 02/05/2008 12:27 am »
Don't know about captioning. It is a large amount of material. If we ever go back and redo the sets again we'll consider it.

We are in production on our first HD projects right now. Whether we go back and do the current sets in HD depends in some part on the way the digital/HD rules are set up with the archives. I won't go into all of that here, but will say that if it is possible we will probably do it.

Our current intent is for all of our sets from Space Shuttle and on to be in HD.

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #38 on: 02/07/2008 08:20 am »
Every product needs to be renewed from time to time. I definitely think that captions and HD will be features that warrant a "NEW and IMPROVED!"-sticker, and thus might lead to more sales. Only speaking for myself, I know that I will probably hold back on purchases if HD is not available.

Thanks for your reply!

Offline spacecraftfilms

« Reply #39 on: 02/07/2008 01:39 pm »
Well, all I can say is that if more people are like you and hold back on purchases because HD is not available, then it is not likely to ever be available, at least in the form that we produce it.

For small niche producers such as ourselves, we'll never get fully through the conversion to HD product without continued healthy standard DVD sales. There are still too few HD players in the marketplace to really support smaller niche volumes on HD right now. Our first HD projects are requiring several times the investment vs. SD, against a much smaller customer base.

There are several reasons for this, one being that the transfers are still over 150% the cost of SD transfers, and the replication costs are also several times standard DVD costs. This will come down over time, but until it does the full conversion can't take place.

We are doing our first HD projects, but this is very risky for us and I hope the demand on the other end is there when we release. This is the reason we are not yet taking any solid orders on HD sets right now, even though we have some in production.

Unless of course someone out there with deep pockets or a healthy marketing budget wants to sponsor one of our sets to move along production...  :laugh:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography