Author Topic: House Space SubC Hearing - ISS: Addressing Operational Challenges - Jul10th'15  (Read 14667 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Committee still waiting for answers about Commercial Crew from 6 months ago from NASA... :o
« Last Edit: 07/10/2015 03:57 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline 411rocket

• Retired RCEME w/ tours in Cyprus, Croatia, Bosnia
  • Vancouver Island
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 120
Did I just hear Gerst say BEAM launch next year?

yep

Hope Chris gets to watch the video lots for everyone on this 8)

Recorded link   @ 21:56 it finally starts......

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/67197153

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065
Committee still waiting for answers about Commercial Crew from 6 months ago from NASA... :o

I haven't watched the hearing yet but I hope that they are not refering to the independant study of the cost of commercial crew again. NASA already told them that they already know what commercial crew will cost because the milestones have fixed payments. Besides NASA already asked Booz-Allen to do an independant study on commercial crew (and it was released a while ago).
« Last Edit: 07/10/2015 07:27 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729

I haven't watched the hearing yet but I hope that they are not refering to the independant study of the cost of commercial crew again. NASA already told them that they already know what commercial crew will costs because the milestones have fixed payments. Besides NASA already asked Booz-Allen to do an independant study on commercial crew (it was released a while ago).

Got the feeling the 2nd half of questions would have started with Crew.  It's fortunate they got called to a vote.

The chairman was not happy about some report regarding crew he asked for some 6 months ago. "unacceptable"
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline yg1968

I haven't watched the hearing yet but I hope that they are not refering to the independant study of the cost of commercial crew again. NASA already told them that they already know what commercial crew will costs because the milestones have fixed payments. Besides NASA already asked Booz-Allen to do an independant study on commercial crew (it was released a while ago).

Got the feeling the 2nd half of questions would have started with Crew.  It's fortunate they got called to a vote.

The chairman was not happy about some report regarding crew he asked for some 6 months ago. "unacceptable"

That's going to be their excuse for not fully funding commercial crew. Some bogus independent study that isn't necessary and which has already been done by Booz-Allen. Makes me angry. But that's politics for you.

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1797

That's going to be their excuse for not fully funding commercial crew. Some bogus independent study that isn't necessary and which has already been done by Booz-Allen. Makes me angry. But that's politics for you.

Is there a reason that NASA just doesn't do the study? 
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline Prober

• Nevada

agree, believe crew is going to be cut......the IG also announced he was going to check into crew, so its up for grabs.

Offline Prober

• Nevada

Offline yg1968

I finished watching the hearing. He wasn't talking about the study. He was talking about questions that they submitted for the hearing.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108

I finished watching the hearing. He wasn't talking about the study. He was talking about questions that they submitted for the hearing.

This kind of thing has been going on since this administration took over NASA. Congress should hold them in contempt, but they don't, so it continues.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline yg1968

There is many reasons. The request was part of the 2013 and 2015 House NASA Authorization Act which haven't become law. No study was requested by the Senate. The study only made sense before CCtCap was awarded. A study was already done by Booz-Allen a few years ago. The main person that wanted this study was Rep. Edwards (D). Nobody else seemed to care about it as it is too late to study a contract which has already been awarded.
« Last Edit: 07/11/2015 03:44 am by yg1968 »

Offline yg1968

Here is the archived video on YouTube:

Offline yg1968

Incidentally, it was a positive hearing. There was no bashing of commercial crew and cargo. It discussed the benefits of ISS and of extending to 2024. Gerst repeated that there would no follow on to ISS in LEO. That role could be filled by the commercial sector. Gerst has mentionned this a few times before but it's good to mention it in front of Congress.

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1797

There is many reasons. The request was part of the 2013 and 2015 House NASA Authorization Act which haven't become law. No study was requested by the Senate. The study only made sense before CCtCap was awarded. A study was already done by Booz-Allen a few years ago. The main person that wanted this study was Rep. Edwards (D). Nobody else seemed to care about it as it is too late to study a contract which has already been awarded.

If the people controlling your budget are asking for a study, I would just do the study and make them happy.Is it really worth it to fight them about it?
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523

Yes, that's how I heard it as well. I guess there is no budget for paper or something... :o Hey Congress, how about a raise? ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography