Author Topic: Mystery Mir and Buran photo portfolios  (Read 2340 times)

Offline toekneesan

Mystery Mir and Buran photo portfolios
« on: 10/13/2013 02:12 pm »
Hi,
I was sent here from a site called AskMetafilter as I was told there that you folks would be helpful in identifying the source of these images. I found these in a thrift store in Pennsylvania, as two little portfolios. They're about 18cm x 12cm and appear to be actual photographic prints. One set is for the Mir program and the other is for the Buran program. Odd thing is the English listing of the captions inside the portfolios. Why English?

The portfolios are constructed out of a single piece of cardboard which wraps around the set and has a flap. The cover and captions seem glued onto the cardboard, captions on the inside printed using a dot matrix printer, and the back of the portfolios are reinforced with a glossy white piece of paper, possibly photo paper.

Anyone know where they're from? It's been suggested they're promotional or press release materials, perhaps distributed at air shows. Whether you can help or not, I suspect this group might really enjoy these images.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toekneesan/sets/72157636469508814/

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
Re: Mystery Mir and Buran photo portfolios
« Reply #1 on: 10/15/2013 02:55 pm »
Of course, some of the photos are simply standard releases from the late 1980s. I was looking around for Russian space material in the late 1980s, but I don't remember that particular release.

BTW, any high rez images of the interior of the Mir modules (except for the base block) are gladly appreciated.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography