Author Topic: LIVE: Chang'e-3 lunar probe and rover Lunar Landing December 14, 2013  (Read 717853 times)

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 63
Thank you! Good work. My phone only works on this site not UMSF, so that helps!

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
Didnt make the front page of reddit at all, but obviously peaked http://www.reddit.com/r/space/
Scratch that, this post went to front page. Lots of complaints about mainstream media failing to cover this
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Hungry4info3

• Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 81
Candidate surface feature identifications.

Offline Adonis1

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 8

Offline Nick

• UK
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 4

I followed all of the Apollo landings "live", twice on radio and the others on TV, and I got the same "buzz" with all of them - and the same for Chang'e 3.

Me too, and you're absolutely right - the buzz is still the same... I was glued to every minute of it.

I remember looking up at the Moon on Christmas 1968 and a shiver going down my spine realising there were three men orbiting it. Same for the landing missions. It's never looked the same in all the years since.  :( Last night, I looked up (it was clear!!!) and felt the same way - wishing Jade Rabbit good luck for today...

It's a sobering thought that there are children alive today whose grandparents weren't born when Apollo 11 landed! But today gives hope that I may yet be able to hang on long enough to see more humans tred the dust of another world...

Nick

P.S. Check out the Apollo 11 Flight Journal Day 5 at MET 095:17:28 http://history.nasa.gov/ap11fj/14day5-landing-prep.htm . Funny old life, isn't it...?  ;)

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 6
By a very strange coincidence, at the time Change'3 was making its descent to the lunar surface , the book "An Introduction to the Mathematics and Methods of Astrodynamics , Revised Edition" by Richard H. Battin - which I had ordered some weeks ago from an Amazon dealer  - arrived by UK Royal Mail . Literally, 4 minutes before touchdown of Change'3 :-))

How strange is that !

For those not familiar with the name Richard H. Battin he was the Technical Director, Mission Development for the Apollo Guidance and Navigation Program during the 1960s. In fact, I have several of Dr Battin's  papers including one  called "Explicit and Unified Methods of Spacecraft Guidance"  which carries a very good "easy mathematical" treatment of the Apollo trajectory from Earth to the Moon.

The book "An Introduction to the Mathematics and Methods of Astrodynamics , Revised Edition" is a different mathematical "animal " though :-))

Phill Parker

Offline JT355

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
So has landing site been confirmed as not being in sinus iridium yet? I notice the tv presenters were all referring to bay of rainbows in their pieces. only 2 hours togo for jade bunny to hop off lander  8)

Offline Hungry4info3

Correct. We landed in north central Mare Imbrium. Lat: ~44.1260, Lon: ~-19.5014.

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
A "Spaceflight Now " report also suggests that the initial landing coordinates are:-

"....An initial position estimate put the landing site at 44.12 degrees north latitude and 19.51 degrees west longitude. The estimate will be refined over the coming days....."

Here is a "rough image" where that is - close to Laplace F crater on the map in Mare Imbrium.

Phill Parker

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
Has there been any announcement of CCTV live coverage of the Yuto rover?
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
Here is a better map having a "stab" at where Change'3 is on the lunar surface based on coordinates published so far.

Based on IAU/NASA/USGS online lunar maps

Phill

Offline Hungry4info3

Here is a better map having a "stab" at where Change'3 is on the lunar surface based on coordinates published so far.

Based on IAU/NASA/USGS online lunar maps

Are you aware of the analysis of the descent images here? http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33511.msg1133006#msg1133006

I'm fairly certain the landing site is pinned down to within a few metres.

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 28
That's one small step for mankind, but a giant leap for China!

Congratulations to the Chang'e 3 team.

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
Yes aware of coordinates but it was an "early stab" at trying to show where on a lunar map - not a "guess" at co-ordinates.

Here is an even better map

Phill

Offline a_langwich

• Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 48
Yes aware of coordinates but it was an "early stab" at trying to show where on a lunar map - not a "guess" at co-ordinates.

Here is an even better map

Phill

Look it up on the LRO website Hungry4info3 was posting pictures from:  http://target.lroc.asu.edu/q3/ .  You can zoom in from the big picture all the way down to 0.5m per pixel, and lattitude and longitude at your mouse cursor are marked at the finer resolutions. 

Offline wahaha

• Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 9
CCTV live coverage : the rover has been deployed 30 minutes ago.

Offline belegor

• Switzerland
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 67
According to CCTV, Yutu has successfully separated from the lander.
« Last Edit: 12/14/2013 08:11 pm by belegor »

Offline belegor

• Switzerland
Rolling onto the ramp.

Offline belegor

• Switzerland
Moving 5-10 cm every timestep (however long that is)
« Last Edit: 12/14/2013 08:13 pm by belegor »

Offline belegor

• Switzerland
View of the surrounding area

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston