Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas-V - SBIRS/GEO-2 - March 19, 2013  (Read 77676 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Re: LIVE: Atlas-V - SBIRS/GEO-2 - March 19, 2013
« Reply #200 on: 04/04/2013 04:31 pm »
Makes me wonder how many lives of front line troops that these systems have saved over the years, or conflicts avoided etc etc.
You'd better not go there, or this topic will go really wrong way really quickly.

Why do you say that, it was a question asked in good faith not designed to cause some kind of issue?

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
Re: LIVE: Atlas-V - SBIRS/GEO-2 - March 19, 2013
« Reply #202 on: 11/27/2013 11:08 am »
http://www.losangeles.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123372233

SBIRS GEO-2 Achieves AFSPC Operational Acceptance

Posted 11/26/2013   Updated 11/26/2013

11/26/2013 - LOS ANGELES AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- The U.S. Air Force announced Nov. 25 that the second Space Based Infrared System Geosynchronous Earth Orbit satellite (GEO-2) has achieved Air Force Space Command Operational Acceptance. GEO-2 is part of the constellation that provides continuous missile warning for the U.S. and its allies.

The SBIRS GEO-2 spacecraft launched successfully from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., March 19. The satellite was originally scheduled to enter the operational trial period 12 months after launch, but the program implemented a number of efficiencies based on GEO-1 lessons learned. As a result, the combined test team was able to improve on the original schedule by five months and GEO-2 entered its trial period  on Oct. 21 with no liens. Overall, the GEO-2 satellite's performance matches that of GEO-1 and in some cases exceeds it.

SBIRS delivers global, overhead, persistent, taskable 24/7 infrared surveillance capabilities to meet 21st-century demands for early warning of missile launches, while simultaneously supporting other critical missions including missile defense, technical intelligence, and battlespace awareness. The GEO satellites replace and improve upon the legacy Defense Support Program satellites, offering enhanced sensor flexibility and sensitivity.

The SBIRS development team is led by the Infrared Space Systems Directorate at the U.S. Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif. Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company, Sunnyvale, Calif., is the SBIRS prime contractor, Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems, Azusa, Calif., is the payload integrator. The 460th Space Wing operates the SBIRS system.
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography