Author Topic: The Falcon 9 v1.1 DSCOVR & RECOVER Party Thread  (Read 119056 times)

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 534
  • Likes Given: 927
Re: The Falcon 9 v1.1 DSCOVR & RECOVER Party Thread
« Reply #420 on: 02/12/2015 12:43 AM »
Elon Musk @elonmusk    1h 1 hour ago
Rocket soft landed in the ocean within 10m of target & nicely vertical! High probability of good droneship landing in non-stormy weather.

10m accuracy in 21kts of wind and in 27kts gust is pretty good.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41002

Given those winds I'd say spectacular performance! 

Great job SpaceX
Excited to be finally into the first Falcon Heavy flow, we are getting so close!

Offline CJ

• Liked: 562
  • Likes Given: 177
« Reply #421 on: 02/12/2015 12:58 AM »
Elon Musk @elonmusk    1h 1 hour ago
Rocket soft landed in the ocean within 10m of target & nicely vertical! High probability of good droneship landing in non-stormy weather.

10m accuracy in 21kts of wind and in 27kts gust is pretty good.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41002

Given those winds I'd say spectacular performance! 

Great job SpaceX

Seconded!!!

I was delighted to hear about the accuracy, though the thought it prompted of what might have been did cause me to mutter a few grumbled curses at the weather. 

Offline maitri982

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #422 on: 02/12/2015 02:15 AM »
Was at KSC for two of the prior attempts which did not work out.  Was at Disney today with family and sky was so clear we could see falcon from there.  Awesome job by these guys.  Really disappointed I could not see launch from lc39 though.  I hope to get back there in the future.

Offline WindnWar

• South Carolina
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 1169
« Reply #423 on: 02/12/2015 02:16 AM »
Ok, someone needs to buy Padrat a drink then sober him up and send him back to work, got a busy year to get through, I'm sure they can set him up with a cot.  ;) ;D

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 146
« Reply #424 on: 02/12/2015 02:35 AM »
Ok, someone needs to buy Padrat a drink then sober him up and send him back to work, got a busy year to get through, I'm sure they can set him up with a cot.  ;) ;D

The Padrat paypal flight recover fund. Keeps him and his buddies stocked up. :) What mean do mean cots? Silicon Valley company and Google just got on board. I'd be requesting Google Pods O.o

Offline Tonioroffo

• Belgium
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #425 on: 02/12/2015 09:31 AM »
So SpaceX now has ICBM capability with strike accuracy of ~10m :).    I can think of a few countries that would love to have this.  Surely security must be a big concern at SpaceX.

Offline TakeOff

• Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #426 on: 02/12/2015 10:00 AM »
So SpaceX now has ICBM capability with strike accuracy of ~10m :).    I can think of a few countries that would love to have this.  Surely security must be a big concern at SpaceX.
But I don't think that the slow approach makes it very useful for military purposes against protected targets. I suppose that the precision is achieved at low speed at low altitude. Military missles want to hit their target at several times the speed of sound. Falcon 9r is maybe more like a helicopter than a missle during landing.

(Besides, last time it hit the barge, without sinking it!  ;) )

Offline Cinder

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #427 on: 02/12/2015 10:06 AM »
More like giant glitter bomb.
The pork must flow.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1155
  • Likes Given: 1628
« Reply #428 on: 02/12/2015 10:38 AM »

I know that you're joking with this, but the truth is that SpaceX does in fact have ICBM capability.  But their current accuracy is about 1 mile.  That's the stated accuracy for Dragon landings.  All they have to do is put the warhead inside the capsule.  But ignoring the warhead bit for a moment, that's why ITAR restrictions are so rigorously enforced.  /seriousness
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1676
« Reply #429 on: 02/12/2015 02:20 PM »

"Here's the plan: we get the warhead, and we hold the world ransom for.... one million dollars."
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline Tonioroffo

• Belgium
« Reply #430 on: 02/12/2015 02:21 PM »
Excellent.

Offline jimbowman

• Likes Given: 32
« Reply #431 on: 02/12/2015 03:21 PM »
Any good pics or screen shots of the 1st stage thrusters?

edit: spelling.
« Last Edit: 02/12/2015 04:41 PM by jimbowman »

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 257
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #432 on: 02/12/2015 03:48 PM »
It was great to see the first stage thrusters and so disappointing they didn't follow the first stage but then that shot of the fairing seperation more than made up for not tracking the first stage.

I suspect there won't be many opportunities for such great lighting conditions.

Anyone know if the camera being used was one of the upgrades recommended by the CAIB commission?

Offline TripD

• E. Clampus Launchus
  • Liked: 399
  • Likes Given: 266
« Reply #433 on: 02/12/2015 04:01 PM »
Any good pics or screen shots of the 1st stage thursters?

Aren't the '1st Stage Thursters' a new movement? I have only one pic for ya.  8)

/Edit:    A mysterious lot, these 1st Stage Thursters.  Often seen chanting arcane language while hunkered over a small computer screen wearing the same clothing for 2 or 3 days culminating in a countdown and loud cheer followed by heavy imbibing of alcoholic beverages.

/End run-on sentence
« Last Edit: 02/12/2015 04:20 PM by TripD »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9570
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #434 on: 02/12/2015 04:13 PM »
It was great to see the first stage thrusters and so disappointing they didn't follow the first stage but then that shot of the fairing seperation more than made up for not tracking the first stage.

Anyone know if the camera being used was one of the upgrades recommended by the CAIB commission?

These would be range cameras and not NASA ones.

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 4848
  • Likes Given: 514
« Reply #435 on: 02/12/2015 04:18 PM »

The camera that got the best shots was UCS-23 located here http://goo.gl/AyvlgI on the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

UCS-23 has been in place since the early days of the Shuttle program and always puts out the highest resolution long range video of manned and unmanned Cape launches. (you can google up stills and video, they are all amazingly clear)

That camera is going to be ideally located for great shots of the stages returning directly back toward it to land at LC-13 which is only 1.5 miles SE of the camera position.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9570
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #436 on: 02/12/2015 04:20 PM »
But I don't think that the slow approach makes it very useful for military purposes against protected targets. I suppose that the precision is achieved at low speed at low altitude. Military missles want to hit their target at several times the speed of sound. Falcon 9r is maybe more like a helicopter than a missle during landing.

Huh?  It had it with Dragon, long ago and not with the first stage landing.

Offline Tonioroffo

• Belgium
« Reply #437 on: 02/12/2015 04:32 PM »
Oh I know that, I'm sure they are quite a cybertarget. 

Offline jimbowman

• Likes Given: 32
« Reply #438 on: 02/12/2015 04:42 PM »
Any good pics or screen shots of the 1st stage thursters?

Aren't the '1st Stage Thursters' a new movement? I have only one pic for ya.  8)

/Edit:    A mysterious lot, these 1st Stage Thursters.  Often seen chanting arcane language while hunkered over a small computer screen wearing the same clothing for 2 or 3 days culminating in a countdown and loud cheer followed by heavy imbibing of alcoholic beverages.

/End run-on sentence

Haha. I should spell check more.
« Last Edit: 02/12/2015 04:44 PM by jimbowman »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1026
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #439 on: 02/12/2015 05:27 PM »

"Here's the plan: we get the warhead, and we hold the world ransom for.... one million dollars."

That way we make sure we don't make a profit on the launch, and keep our tax exempt status ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Tags: