Author Topic: Modelling Mars  (Read 221455 times)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
Re: Modelling Mars
« Reply #60 on: 10/18/2014 08:32 pm »
Thanks, Manfred!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #61 on: 10/19/2014 11:43 pm »
I did a couple of more pictures with the Moonlab and Ares.  The first is a simple orbital view of Moonlab.  The second is the approach of Ares on it's flyby of Venus. 

I have figured out how to do a few more thing in the program.  I may try to do an Apollo-N explosion, or try to show it's damage.  Any ideas what a nuclear fire in space would look like?

Should there be stars in the pictures?
« Last Edit: 10/19/2014 11:46 pm by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #62 on: 11/01/2014 05:14 am »
Now that my busy season at work is over, and very successful at that, I hope to get back to work soon on my models.  In the mean time, I found a "sequel" short story to Voyage by Stephen Baxter called "Prospero One".  It is about the first British launch into orbit of a two manned crew.  It may become another project!

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #63 on: 11/01/2014 12:21 pm »
Interesting Story.

Baxter is a pessimist about Space it seems.  Both missions are one of a kind, along with Apollo N, with crippled birds and dead crews.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #64 on: 11/01/2014 01:07 pm »
It does seam like it.  I wonder if he would have had Ares crew lost on the way home if he had continued the novel.  But, after this week, we are again sadly remained that space isn't easy.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #65 on: 11/03/2014 05:01 am »
I am still waiting on my Shapeways MEM and other parts I need for my next projects.  So in the mean time, I created a "NASA Fact Sheet" about the expansions needed at Jacqueline B. Kennedy Space Center to support the Nerva missions.  I suppose this whole "Voyage" timeline just seams so realistic, that I want to do other things to display with my models that help tell the story of the timeline.

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1132
« Reply #66 on: 11/03/2014 09:07 am »
Interesting Story.

Baxter is a pessimist about Space it seems.  Both missions are one of a kind, along with Apollo N, with crippled birds and dead crews.

Don't forget Titan, which is even bleaker.
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #67 on: 11/07/2014 12:18 am »
I set up a display with my Voyage models.  When the MEM gets here, I will make a little Mars surface for it to sit on and put underneath the shelf.  The Saturn VB has a temporary upper stage as a place holder while the Ares is together.  The little X-15 is the one Phil Stone flew. Also note the road sign that would be at the gate of KSC.  The display is flanked by my Tamiya Challenger and Atlantis models.  And the red and white bootie under Challenger is one used by people when they enter the shuttles while in the OPF. 

Attached is the first draft of another NASA Fact sheet about the Ares mission. I need to find better resolution drawings of the ones from the book then I will print it out and display it next to the models.
« Last Edit: 11/07/2014 12:21 am by Ronpur50 »

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #68 on: 11/08/2014 12:07 am »
I like the fact sheet touch, Ron.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #69 on: 11/08/2014 01:31 am »
Thanks.  It is a quick way to explain the models to visitors!  I felt like I was doing a book report.

My Shapeways MEM arrived today!  Very exciting to get it!  It is amazing! 
Here are some pictures.  Since I am going out of town this weekend (almost to KSC but not quite...Orlando) I won't have time to do anything with it.

I tried to fit it under the S-IVB interstage cone that is used for the MEM shroud, it ALMOST fits.  If the plastic was scale thickness, it might.

And last is Natalie York taking her first steps, lol.  I have three of the little figures from the ISS model I may rework to be the astronauts on the surface when I set up the diorama.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #70 on: 11/12/2014 01:41 am »
Well, crap.  While painting and sanding and painting and sanding, I broke this little frame off from the inside.  Fortunately, the ascent stage fits on the descent stage fine without it.  Started working on a Mars surface for the lander too.  I think it maybe a bit too red right now.

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #71 on: 11/12/2014 06:01 am »
Hi Ron,

nice work with the Shapeways MEM so far.

How one can see the surface of the printed parts is still pretty rough even after sanding and painting.    What kind of material Shapeways have used, is this Frosted detail plastic or Ultra frosted detail?

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #72 on: 11/13/2014 12:00 am »
It is white strong and flexible.  It has a pitted surface, so I sprayed it with a filling primer.  That is why it looks even more pitted.  But once I sanded that down, it gets smoother. 

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #73 on: 11/13/2014 07:49 am »
Something funny about Nathalie York: the name sounds to be a nod to Bradbury Martian chronicles - where one of the first men on Mars is called Nathaniel York  ;D
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline Dalhousie

« Reply #74 on: 11/13/2014 09:34 am »
Something funny about Nathalie York: the name sounds to be a nod to Bradbury Martian chronicles - where one of the first men on Mars is called Nathaniel York  ;D

Really?  The book does mention Bradbury in passing.

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #75 on: 11/13/2014 11:24 am »
As for the Mars crew of Stone, Gershon and York -I have the (personal) suspicion their real-world counterparts would be Sally Ride, Guion Bluford, and Joe Engle.
Much like Bluford Gershon is not only the first afro-american astronaut, it also flew combat missions in Vietnam.
Stone, like Engle, flew the X-15 late in the program and had its Apollo flight cancelled.
York feminism, character and limited physical description is somewhat reminiscent of Ride.

According to Baxter he was a contender for Helen Sharman seat aboard the Mir space station but was not selected because he couldn't speak russion well enough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Sharman
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/intsb.htm
« Last Edit: 11/13/2014 11:33 am by Archibald »
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline Dalhousie

« Reply #76 on: 11/14/2014 01:17 am »
Interesting comparisons.  Like Ride, York is described as having bushy dark hair.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #77 on: 11/14/2014 01:34 am »
In his physical description and Vietnam flying career, Gershon seemed to me to be an analogue for Charlie Bolden. I met Dr Baxter in London at the world Science Fiction convention in August and asked him if he had based Gershon on Bolden. To my surprise, he said no - Gershon was probably a composite character.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #78 on: 11/14/2014 01:40 am »
I also picture Bolden as I read the books.  I never really picture a real astronaut for Natalie.  I have been thinking of doing a fake crew photo using astronaut photos, so this discussion may help.  But that comes after the MEM and ordering tube for the next Mars Mission model.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #79 on: 11/14/2014 10:35 pm »
Still need to add names, but this is my version of the Ares Crew Patch, based off of STS-2!

As described in the book, with the eagle's wing turning into a flag as it launches the silver Ares to the red star representing Mars.  I added three white stars for the Apollo-N crew and a gold star that can represent the sun or Venus.
« Last Edit: 11/14/2014 10:38 pm by Ronpur50 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography