Author Topic: KSC renovation work continuing ahead of future 21st Century spaceport role  (Read 1855 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Aiming to write 60-70 SLS articles this year, as much as this one is focused on the renovations, from the very bottom (as in the waterways to the pads!):

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/01/ksc-renovation-work-ahead-future-21st-century-spaceport-role/

Offline MrEarl

• Baltimore MD
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 2
Thanks for the update on work going on at KSC, Chris. 
Do you have any information on what work is being done in regards to Range Operations?  From what I understand the range has been using 1960's technology requiring 24 to 48 hours to reconfigure from one launch to the next. 

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9568
  • Likes Given: 299
Thanks for the update on work going on at KSC, Chris. 
Do you have any information on what work is being done in regards to Range Operations?  From what I understand the range has been using 1960's technology requiring 24 to 48 hours to reconfigure from one launch to the next. 

The range is a USAF asset and is separate from the KSC 21st Century Space Port.

It isn't the technology.
a.  It is manpower.  The range is manned for 5/40 with overtime to handle weekends and offshifts.  There isn't a flight rate to justify more people.

b.  It is share resources.  Tracking cameras have to be moved to different sites for different pads.  Same goes for search lights, guard shacks, etc.  It is like changing a stadium from baseball to football.

c.  There can be some improvement with comm but that is not the major constraint

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 610
  • Likes Given: 314
It is like changing a stadium from baseball to football.

Maybe they could scrounge up a couple of billion selling off naming rights.

Gotta go...
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 603
  • Likes Given: 244
a.  It is manpower.  The range is manned for 5/40 with overtime to handle weekends and offshifts.  There isn't a flight rate to justify more people.

Jim, how much of the manpower is located in the area, and how much is flown in for a launch?  I tried to stay at the on base housing at Patrick for -135, but as it turned out the rooms were reserved for those who were staying for launch operations, was that only for shuttle launches or does that happen for other launches?
"Every vision is a joke until the first man accomplishes it; once realized, it becomes commonplace." - Robert Goddard

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9568
  • Likes Given: 299

Jim, how much of the manpower is located in the area, and how much is flown in for a launch?  I tried to stay at the on base housing at Patrick for -135, but as it turned out the rooms were reserved for those who were staying for launch operations, was that only for shuttle launches or does that happen for other launches?

All and none.  the range workers are local and are contractors, not blue suiters. 

Offline clevelas

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Thanks for the article Chris.  It's good to see 'space' news dealing with every day problems that the rest of us face.  Most people don't realize or think about the fact that a lot of the facilities are getting older and need care. 

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 603
  • Likes Given: 244
DOnt know if this is related, but one can see construction work of some kind occurring behind OPF-1/2
« Last Edit: 01/05/2012 07:07 PM by Ronsmytheiii »
"Every vision is a joke until the first man accomplishes it; once realized, it becomes commonplace." - Robert Goddard

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
DOnt know if this is related, but one can see construction work of some kind occurring behind OPF-1/2

If you are refering to what I think you are, those are they hyper scrubbers. 
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 31
I like how the article made something potentially uninteresting, interesting!

Tags: