Author Topic: OV-103 Final Flight: Viewing (Going to Dulles)  (Read 167443 times)

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
Re: OV-103 Final Flight: Viewing (Going to Dulles)
« Reply #260 on: 05/14/2012 12:46 pm »
Due to it being Memorial weekend I went ahead and bought them online, just in case they are packed, I am SO damn excited to see Discovery in person. This will be my first time seeing one of the ladies in person and the fact that we will be so close, I told my Fiance the first 30 minutes we are there ignore me because I will be as hyper as a school boy with a first crush!! LOL
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline MadameConcorde

• The sky is my home
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #261 on: 05/18/2012 05:40 pm »
I will be on the Lufthansa B-747-8i first inaugural commercial flight from Frankfurt to IAD 1 June  doing the turnaround with several hours in between flights.

Can't be any better! A brand new aircraft type with a very first commercial flight and a newly installed Space Shuttle at the IAD NASM.

We will arrive in the new plane with great fanfare and will be making the news!

I am going to be on the turnaround inaugurals FRA-IAD-FRA to give my hommage to the newly installed Space Shuttle Discovery in her new home and I will see my beautiful friend Air France Concorde F-BVFA.

How lucky is that!! :-)

I am really excited!!!
For once you have tasted Concorde you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde

Offline gregzsidisin

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #262 on: 05/18/2012 06:01 pm »
I will be on the Lufthansa B-747-8i first inaugural commercial flight from Frankfurt to IAD 1 June  doing the turnaround with several hours in between flights.

Can't be any better! A brand new aircraft type with a very first commercial flight and a newly installed Space Shuttle at the IAD NASM.

We will arrive in the new plane with great fanfare and will be making the news!

I am going to be on the turnaround inaugurals FRA-IAD-FRA to give my hommage to the newly installed Space Shuttle Discovery in her new home and I will see my beautiful friend Air France Concorde F-BVFA.

How lucky is that!! :-)

I am really excited!!!

Very cool. :)
Greg Zsidisin

"Space pioneers have long studied the laws of the Universe. Now they must learn the ways of the World." -GZ, 1996

"In essence, rocket science is about blowing a lot of hot gas out an orifice. There are more experts in this field than you might realize." -GZ, 2011

Offline dougie69

• Gosford, Australia
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #263 on: 05/19/2012 10:43 am »
If you were with the VIPs at Dulles, during the flyby, you're probably in these shots:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=28599.msg887074#msg887074

Awesome!  I spotted me!  :)

I spotted myself too. Here is the screen cap (I'm in the sunglasses and cap behind the woman in the pink top).

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
« Reply #264 on: 05/22/2012 12:20 pm »
Im going this Saturday!! We leave Charlotte around 5am so we hope that gets us there around noon. I am SO excited to see Discovery, this has been a childhood dream to be this close to one of the ladies.
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline dougie69

• Gosford, Australia
« Reply #265 on: 05/22/2012 04:33 pm »
You wont be disappointed. She is awesome.

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
« Reply #266 on: 05/22/2012 04:36 pm »
I will take TONS of pictures thats for sure. Can you basically walk 360 degrees around her? Can you pretty much walk along her right side like you can on the left side? Hard to tell from the web cam what the right side walking area looks like.
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline cycleroadie

• Launches: 131, 133, Curiosity, ORB-2, EFT-1
  • Apalachin, NY , Doug Hurley's from here :-)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #267 on: 05/22/2012 04:43 pm »
I will take TONS of pictures thats for sure. Can you basically walk 360 degrees around her? Can you pretty much walk along her right side like you can on the left side? Hard to tell from the web cam what the right side walking area looks like.

I was just there Friday, yes you can walk all around Discovery, even get under the body flap
Lloyd
"As we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came, and God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. God bless the crew of Apollo 17." - Commander Gene Cernan , Apollo 17

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
« Reply #268 on: 05/22/2012 04:55 pm »
Awesome, Thank you so much!!
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline gregzsidisin

« Reply #269 on: 05/28/2012 11:17 pm »
Awesome, Thank you so much!!

So, how was your visit?
Greg Zsidisin

"Space pioneers have long studied the laws of the Universe. Now they must learn the ways of the World." -GZ, 1996

"In essence, rocket science is about blowing a lot of hot gas out an orifice. There are more experts in this field than you might realize." -GZ, 2011

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
« Reply #270 on: 05/29/2012 12:17 am »
AMAZING, she was beautiful and I walked around her for over an hour simply in awe. Was so great!!!
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline Sarah

• Shuttle Hugger
  • 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
  • Iowa
« Reply #271 on: 05/30/2012 04:00 pm »
AMAZING, she was beautiful and I walked around her for over an hour simply in awe. Was so great!!!

It's hard to walk away isn't it? My friend had to pull me out of the hanger because I wouldn't leave after 2 hours  :D  Did they have the SSME on the stand back on display?
Photo Album
Launches: 51L, 133, 134, 135
Scrubs: 70
Landings: 135

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
« Reply #272 on: 05/30/2012 08:13 pm »
Not that I saw, But yeah I was there for about 2 hours and after the IMAX Hubble movie we went back to look at her again and stayed until they closed at 6:30. I was in a trance by her :)
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline gregzsidisin

« Reply #273 on: 05/30/2012 10:27 pm »
Not that I saw, But yeah I was there for about 2 hours and after the IMAX Hubble movie we went back to look at her again and stayed until they closed at 6:30. I was in a trance by her :)

Did everything else work out okay for your visit - traffic, hotel, etc?  I know you had a lot of concerns beforehand.
Greg Zsidisin

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
« Reply #274 on: 05/30/2012 10:38 pm »
Yeah the museum was pretty busy and we stayed at the Mariott by it. We never went into D.C. due to traffic, but Discovery was worth every bit of the 7 hour drive to see her :-)
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline MadameConcorde

• The sky is my home
« Reply #275 on: 05/31/2012 12:38 pm »
I am really happy! I will be at the IAD NASM tomorrow 1 June between the two Lufthansa D-ABYA 747-8i FRA-IAD-FRA inaugural flights. I have 5 hours between flights - plenty of time!

I will be delighted to see Space Shuttle Discovery in her new home -- and what a good home that is for her -- and also my old friend Concorde F-BVFA.

It will be a triple event - two inaugural flights of a new aircraft type and seeing Shuttle Discovery in her new home not long after she was brought there via IAD.

I am really excited! I can hardly wait!

http://www.mwaa.com/dulles/4817.htm

http://www.mwaa.com/net/Discover-Dulles.aspx

:-)

For once you have tasted Concorde you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Offline MadameConcorde

• The sky is my home
« Reply #276 on: 06/03/2012 11:52 am »
Back from my 747-8i inaugural turnaround - just resurfacing!

All went as planned  Despite really bad weather and tornado warnings at IAD I got to spend time at the IAD NASM.

The Space Shuttle Discovery exhibition is so beautiful and amazing there are no words to describe it.

The lighting is perfect and plentiful not to miss out on the tiniest of details. There is plenty of room in the hall to go around the orbiter. I hope it will stay that way.

I knew she would be in good hands. She can be in no better place  and she will be in good care.

Sorry Lufthansa and the 747-8i... You're no hype... nothing to really write about.

Seeing Discovery so close and personal is mesmerizing. She was the highlight of my trip.

Concorde F-BVFA looks as good as ever, so does the SR-71... two sexy beasts!

I know I will be back.

In spite of my limited time in the museum I have many pictures. Asking for your patience. They will be on the thread in due time.

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #277 on: 06/09/2012 01:26 am »
Was at Udvar Hazy most of the day yeaterday- have a somewhat different "feeling" about Discovery being there. Yes she looks good, but that's the same thing you say when viewing a deceased relative at a funeral home- and that's the feeling I had.

Still, I took a lot of pictures and spent a lot of time just standing there looking at her. Frankly, she doesn't belong there- she should be in the OPF getting ready for another mission IMO. I'm ashamed, angry and embarrassed that my country wastes national assets in this manner.

Offline Soaring Habu

• Flying At 80,000 Feet
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #278 on: 06/09/2012 07:46 pm »
Was at Udvar Hazy most of the day yeaterday- have a somewhat different "feeling" about Discovery being there. Yes she looks good, but that's the same thing you say when viewing a deceased relative at a funeral home- and that's the feeling I had.

Still, I took a lot of pictures and spent a lot of time just standing there looking at her. Frankly, she doesn't belong there- she should be in the OPF getting ready for another mission IMO. I'm ashamed, angry and embarrassed that my country wastes national assets in this manner.

I agree! I've never seen Discovery in person, but every time I look at photos of her at the Smithsonian, I think, 'Disco should be preparing for, or flying, her next mission, not locked up in a museum!'
SR-71 Blackbird - Pure Speed!

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #279 on: 06/09/2012 11:59 pm »
How busy was Udvar-Hazy, zerm?  Curious if the initial rush has passed, I'll be going back up there in two weeks, and was just thinking aloud.

Thanks!  And I, too, feel the same way.  Many of the astronauts who were there felt the same, but I guess it's time to move on..

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography