Author Topic: A word on NASASpaceflight.com and NASA TV coverage of STS-133  (Read 23929 times)

Offline David AF

• F-22 Raptor Instructor / Fighter Pilot
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 0
I would like to mention my apprecation for all the hard work from the NSF team in the amazing coverage of STS-133.

L2 has been awesome as always. Don't think we've seen so much content before for a mission. Excellent firehosing of coverage.

The news articles have been top level as always. Chris B and Chris G, you are excellent writers, without the dramatics used by some media, but always insightful and interesting. The depth, with over 110 articles, is special.

The live threads have been required reading. You can always catch up, or follow live. No noise, just coverage and personality at times from Chris, which makes it even more enjoyable. Never missed a beat, a great coverage team.

NASA TV. Usually the weak leak with monotonous coverage, but for this mission it was excellent. PAO Josh B deserves special praise for his commentary and this mission has honored Discovery in the right way.

Thank you all, and thank you Discovery.
F-22 Raptor instructor

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6
I concur with my Zoomie friend!!!  Well done to Chris (both of them), Ron, Pete, and everyone else who contributed to mission coverage, huzzah!!!!!
« Last Edit: 03/09/2011 04:51 pm by NavySpaceFan »
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline chksix

• Veteran
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 0
Agree on all points and want to add a special thanks to NASA and UStream HD for using strong servers for the tv. This was the first time I could watch the whole last 6hrs without reloading the embedded player.
Hoping for a future of NASA manned spaceflight

Online Chris Bergin

Thank you sir.

As noted, this site wouldn't be anywhere near as good without the team. Too many people to mention, but obviously Chris G, who we're so lucky to have on here, such a great writer and great to have at KSC, and a big mention for Pete - who's come from nowhere to be Mr ISS (from an article production standpoint) - for his pre-133 articles relating to ISS elements.

Philip at JSC has been fantastic, both from article content and site representation standpoints.

The MaxQ team representing the site for video and images content - again class. Special mention to Jacques for his contributions too.

Ron has been his usual brilliant self with his non-stop updates. Supporting role from numerous others (Aaron, Roger, Steven, Nick and many others - sorry, wasn't expecting this thread and I'm mentally drained!). Special mention to Moonbase, not just for his updates, but also because of who he is.

Again, a huge thanks to our contributors (not sure I like to call them sources, as that's a bit of a dirty word) who have helped L2, and helped the entire site as a result, and to our L2 members who allow of to keep the entire site live and healthy (notice how the servers cope now - that's totally because of L2 revenue paying for them. Can't stress that enough, we're not a company, but we are a reasonably big site. Wouldn't survive without L2).

Totally agree about NASA PAO Josh, and as noted numerous times on the live threads. He's a superstar PAO in the making. Really enjoyed his - and all of the official NASA coverage - this mission.

Most of all, thanks to the teams which care and protect Discovery, both on the ground and on orbit. It's a privilege to cover the space program because they are inspirational. The way they work motivates you to attempt to be as professional - as impossible as that is. Amazing to see these teams at work, and we should all remember a lot of them are coming to the end of their careers, a lot for the wrong reasons, yet they still give their blood and sweat to make this all work. Got to admire that.

Oh and I'm glad you appreciated my rubbish humor at times, and thanks to the random fruit on the ISS FD console as the main source of that :D

Pace doesn't slow down. We'll cover Discovery through deservicing and we have STS-134 coming right up.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
PAO Josh B deserves special praise for his commentary and this mission has honored Discovery in the right way.
When I told him that he was a favorite PAO commentator in the forums, Josh noted his past experience with CBS; the Wikipedia entry provides a little overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Byerly

(Importantly, he's an Aggie. :) )

(Ducks.)

Offline STS Tony

• Extreme Veteran
  • Los Angeles
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 106
This site rules.

When I told him that he was a favorite PAO commentator in the forums, Josh noted his past experience with CBS;

I guess he might of said "great, thanks" first, not "Oh, tell them I worked for CBS." :D

Offline Naito

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 51
Seconded, fantastic coverage as always, this site is simply the best of all the space sites!
Carl C.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
This site rules.

When I told him that he was a favorite PAO commentator in the forums, Josh noted his past experience with CBS;

I guess he might of said "great, thanks" first, not "Oh, tell them I worked for CBS." :D
I'm summarizing. ;D

Offline racshot65

• Aaron Kalair
  • Coventry, England
I'd like to add add my thanks as well to everyone who helped cover the mission and allowed me to quickly catch up on what's going on when I couldn't watch live

I think one of the most important things this site does is preserve the mission for all time

People will be able to come back and read these threads in 10,20,30 years and get a real sense of what people were feeling and see the incredible achievements of the program

« Last Edit: 03/09/2011 08:39 pm by racshot65 »

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 63
So agree. It's an amazing experience on this site. I'd be lost without it.

Offline chksix

• Veteran
  • Sweden
If Chris can't maintain the site in the future it should be funded by NASA or the Smithsonian :)
Hoping for a future of NASA manned spaceflight

Offline Space Pete

Checking this site is always one of the highlights of my day. I love reading the updates and comments from everybody here.

One of the best things about this site is the way it chronicles every aspect of the mission, minute-by-minute, right down to nuts-and-bolts level detail. If I'm away from my PC all day and can't follow the mission, then scrolling through the thread seeing all the NASA TV screengrabs is the best way to catch up on what's happened, as articles/press releases just give the gist of things, not the detail.

This site is the only place on the web that archives NASA TV screengrabs, which is not only great to catch up on what's happened, but is also great for the purpose of historical archiving - again, this is the only site that consolidates everything into one place, in chronological order.

Thanks Chris for the accolades, and for bestowing me with the title "Mr. ISS". I love writing for this site, and it's great to be able to give something back to this fantastic community.

And Chris, you are absolutely right that the pace won't slow down - do you know how many ISS flight events we've got coming up? :D
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline david5512

• Boston, MA. U.S.A.
Finding this site, has been like dying and going to heaven.  Now I need to save up the money for an L2, to help Chris and the site with costs.  An amazing web site for sure. :)

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
STS-134 coming right up........ and we thought we would get to get some sleep?  :o ;D

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
Thank you to the forum, site staff and to NASA TV for the good quality HD streams. Look forward to doing it all over again in a month or so.  ;D
- Aaron

Offline Peter NASA

• Extreme Veteran
  • SOMD
  • Liked: 8747
  • Likes Given: 98
Thank you sir.

As noted, this site wouldn't be anywhere near as good without the team. Too many people to mention, but obviously Chris G, who we're so lucky to have on here, such a great writer and great to have at KSC, and a big mention for Pete - who's come from nowhere to be Mr ISS (from an article production standpoint) - for his pre-133 articles relating to ISS elements.

Philip at JSC has been fantastic, both from article content and site representation standpoints.

The MaxQ team representing the site for video and images content - again class. Special mention to Jacques for his contributions too.

Ron has been his usual brilliant self with his non-stop updates. Supporting role from numerous others (Aaron, Roger, Steven, Nick and many others - sorry, wasn't expecting this thread and I'm mentally drained!). Special mention to Moonbase, not just for his updates, but also because of who he is.

Again, a huge thanks to our contributors (not sure I like to call them sources, as that's a bit of a dirty word) who have helped L2, and helped the entire site as a result, and to our L2 members who allow of to keep the entire site live and healthy (notice how the servers cope now - that's totally because of L2 revenue paying for them. Can't stress that enough, we're not a company, but we are a reasonably big site. Wouldn't survive without L2).

Totally agree about NASA PAO Josh, and as noted numerous times on the live threads. He's a superstar PAO in the making. Really enjoyed his - and all of the official NASA coverage - this mission.

Most of all, thanks to the teams which care and protect Discovery, both on the ground and on orbit. It's a privilege to cover the space program because they are inspirational. The way they work motivates you to attempt to be as professional - as impossible as that is. Amazing to see these teams at work, and we should all remember a lot of them are coming to the end of their careers, a lot for the wrong reasons, yet they still give their blood and sweat to make this all work. Got to admire that.

Oh and I'm glad you appreciated my rubbish humor at times, and thanks to the random fruit on the ISS FD console as the main source of that :D

Pace doesn't slow down. We'll cover Discovery through deservicing and we have STS-134 coming right up.

Excellent work, Chris and team.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
I would like to mention my apprecation for all the hard work from the NSF team in the amazing coverage of STS-133.

L2 has been awesome as always. Don't think we've seen so much content before for a mission. Excellent firehosing of coverage.

The news articles have been top level as always. Chris B and Chris G, you are excellent writers, without the dramatics used by some media, but always insightful and interesting. The depth, with over 110 articles, is special.

The live threads have been required reading. You can always catch up, or follow live. No noise, just coverage and personality at times from Chris, which makes it even more enjoyable. Never missed a beat, a great coverage team.

NASA TV. Usually the weak leak with monotonous coverage, but for this mission it was excellent. PAO Josh B deserves special praise for his commentary and this mission has honored Discovery in the right way.

Thank you all, and thank you Discovery.

Echoeing these same thoughts as David. Thank you Chris, and all.

This place, this team, is a true inspiration. I can't imagine what life would be like without this website to feed my appetite for space news. L2 is a priveledge, and I thank all who contribute to our love of space information & content.

And may these final flights of Discovery, Endeavour, and Atlantis help to inspire a new generation to join in the enthusiasm for science, space & exploration.

Offline rocketguy101

• Strib's Rocket Page
  • Liked: 244
  • Likes Given: 888
When I told him that he was a favorite PAO commentator in the forums, Josh noted his past experience with CBS; the Wikipedia entry provides a little overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Byerly

(Importantly, he's an Aggie. :) )

(Ducks.)

whoop!  I knew there was something specially good about him! :D

Seriously thanks to all the writers, posters, contributers, et al.  This site is a fantastic resource and beats anything else out there for space coverage, especially the live events.

thank you, thank you!
« Last Edit: 03/10/2011 12:14 am by rocketguy101 »
David

Offline TFGQ

• Liked: 1
i thought the coverage was great and i also thought  the countdown on launch was pretty wild to say the least that was crazy thanks to everyone who provided images of this historic event  Hail Discovery ov-103
Life is a magical thing -- Laurel Clark

Offline Seattle Dave

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 48
Everything David said about this site. Just keeps on getting better, and in places you wouldn't think possible like L2.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography