Author Topic: The Soyuz "Flyabout" Picture Update Thread  (Read 106892 times)

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
Re: Where are the Soyuz Fly about pictures?
« Reply #40 on: 06/01/2011 07:43 pm »
Reinforces my belief that there is no international space spacestation. Just a Russian one that happens to be attached to US/European/Japanese/Canadian one.

It was nice of us to keep the shuttle going long enough to build the Russians a nice addition to their space station, before handing over the keys!  :(  Sure makes a lot of sense to spend $100 billion on a station we can't even get to now!

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #41 on: 06/01/2011 07:56 pm »
I've been keeping mum about this for weeks, and went so far as to cautiously ask in a few different threads, at all times being careful not to impugn the sensibilities of our Russian partners.
But when it was revealed at a presser early in 134 that it would be Russian cameras, I grew more concerned.
For me, the concern was confirmed when, upon landing, the cards were not downloaded and disseminated on-site.

Despite my "mission first" credo, I rescind my response to Mr. Sloss and Space Pete and declare with the most sincerity:

Build in to STS-135 EVA timeline:  SSRMS grapple of EIBA with PFR attached, roll out the far end of the starboard truss, and take plenty of pics/movies in plane with truss, and out of plane.  Wide angle, please.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2011 07:57 pm by PahTo »

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
    • Space Models Photography
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #42 on: 06/01/2011 08:06 pm »
But when it was revealed at a presser early in 134 that it would be Russian cameras, I grew more concerned.
For me, the concern was confirmed when, upon landing, the cards were not downloaded and disseminated on-site.

No real surprise I don't think. I suggested some time ago that as it was a Russian Vehicle they would more than likely be carrying Russian cameras. No stranger than expecting US astronauts to use anything else but US cameras (Ok actually Japanese Nikon's).

And again the Russians traditionally have their own procedures after landing and as Phil Clark mentioned they may well not be that bothered about releasing photos quickly, as, as far as they are concerned the ISS hasn't been completed until they remove Pirs, add their new module and deploy the ESA arm.

The rumour of the cards being lost were just that - a rumour, so I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet about the rumour of the Russians wanting money. Though the Russians could be charging for losing their cameras in the Orbital Module which they well otherwise not have done.

At the press conference it was mentioned that as the next Soyuz launches on 8 June it could be then the photos are released. Not sure why the two events would be linked.

Keith
« Last Edit: 06/01/2011 08:11 pm by saturnapollo »

Offline Skylab

• Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #43 on: 06/01/2011 08:18 pm »
For a bit of balance in this whole discussion, perhaps it's good to recall that the Russian space programme saved the ISS after the Columbia disaster and provides the only crew rescue vehicle so far. It's also the only programme, apart from ATV, that provides reboost capability outside the US one.

From a non-US, non-Russian perspective, the cooperation doesn't seem all that bad, given that this photo issue is just a rumour. If proven to be fact, I'll have to reconsider.

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #44 on: 06/01/2011 08:33 pm »

Thanks for that Keith--I wasn't aware that they would not bring cameras on board normally for a landing (but makes sense).  Indeed, I was surprised when they said the cameras would stay in the OM.  I realize stowage is at a premium in the DM, but it must also be a matter of "securing the load."

I still have a hard time understanding what is taking so long, and know there is a bit of history to all of this.  Time to go back to "mum mode".

I'll reserve my comments about 135 until early July, but hopefully mission planners are building in "contingency timeline".  :)

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #45 on: 06/01/2011 09:02 pm »
For a bit of balance in this whole discussion, perhaps it's good to recall that the Russian space programme saved the ISS after the Columbia disaster and provides the only crew rescue vehicle so far. It's also the only programme, apart from ATV, that provides reboost capability outside the US one.

All true, but those are also glaring examples of US policy failures that allowed ACRV and the propulsion module to be cancelled, putting us in the position of being reliant on the Russians (and creating a potential single point of failure).

Thanks for that Keith--I wasn't aware that they would not bring cameras on board normally for a landing (but makes sense).  Indeed, I was surprised when they said the cameras would stay in the OM.  I realize stowage is at a premium in the DM, but it must also be a matter of "securing the load."

Hurray for capsules.  ;)

Offline Skylab

• Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #46 on: 06/01/2011 09:07 pm »
All true, but those are also glaring examples of US policy failures that allowed ACRV and the propulsion module to be cancelled, putting us in the position of being reliant on the Russians (and creating a potential single point of failure).
Without them, probably there wouldn't even have been a space station now (apart from - perhaps - Mir 2). Was the US decision-making process flawed? In a way, yes, but imagine not having had the Russians aboard. The Soyuz may now be the single point of failure, but otherwise the shuttle would've been...

Back on topic, any insight into the Soyuz post-landing recovery process would be, as Chris said, appreciated!
« Last Edit: 06/01/2011 09:08 pm by Skylab »

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #47 on: 06/01/2011 09:41 pm »
The rumour of the cards being lost were just that - a rumour, so I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet about the rumour of the Russians wanting money.
Agreed.  Probably going to have to keep Chris's comment about patience handy.

At the press conference it was mentioned that as the next Soyuz launches on 8 June it could be then the photos are released. Not sure why the two events would be linked.
Might be kind of busy getting ready for that launch, too, which probably takes priority.

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #48 on: 06/01/2011 09:59 pm »
Might be kind of busy getting ready for that launch, too, which probably takes priority.

Good point.

Keith

Online thebartonfox

• UK
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #49 on: 06/02/2011 02:35 pm »
Whenever they are released they're sure to be spectacular if the rest of Paolo's on orbit photography is anything to go by.

It does seem a bit odd how long its taking though, does anyone know how long the Atlantis-Mir pictures took to be released? Presumably they were taken on film though, so whatever the wait was its more understandable.
Tom

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #50 on: 06/02/2011 05:05 pm »
If Paolo took the pictures, I would bet it was with his camera. May be the issue is with the IP of a picture taken by ESA from a Roscomos craft?

Offline kirghizstan

• Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #51 on: 06/02/2011 05:13 pm »
If Paolo took the pictures, I would bet it was with his camera. May be the issue is with the IP of a picture taken by ESA from a Roscomos craft?

well couldn't the same thing be said about where he might be when taking photos on ISS?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #52 on: 06/02/2011 05:20 pm »
I honestly think the Russians have a "by the book" stowage removal procedure, which they've probably been using for decades, and the digi cards weren't top of the list, especially as they wouldn't of been a regular item.

I think NASA expected they'd be allowed to download them at the landing site, but when Paolo, who wasn't well, got out and left them inside the capsule, we're into that procedure, thus the delay.

That's how I see it anyway.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #53 on: 06/02/2011 05:25 pm »
If there's any money discussion (which I'm not sure there is) it might be more about "uncontracted electronically sensitive payload processing costs", i.e. searching, accounting and doing whatever procedure is made for said cards. May be they quarantine the whole capsule or so.

Offline John Duncan

• Odenville, Al
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #54 on: 06/02/2011 06:01 pm »
Can we expect the kind of super amazing photos that we are used too?  I am afraid about a tiny, dirty porthole on the Soyuz making all this speculation for naught.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #55 on: 06/02/2011 06:12 pm »
Can we expect the kind of super amazing photos that we are used too?  I am afraid about a tiny, dirty porthole on the Soyuz making all this speculation for naught.

The Soyuz porthole will give images of equal quality to Shuttle flyaround images - so I wouldn't worry about that.

The below images were all taken through the Soyuz porthole. As you can see, the quality of the images is perfectly adequate.
www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-14/html/iss014e18777.html
www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-20/html/iss020e016484.html
www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-22/html/iss022e033320.html
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline John Duncan

• Odenville, Al
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #56 on: 06/02/2011 06:55 pm »
Thanks, Pete. That is good to know.  I remember those photos!

Offline lcs

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #57 on: 06/02/2011 09:02 pm »
There are rumors that a financial transaction will have to take place.

I said so a week or so ago, but my post was deleted. 

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #58 on: 06/02/2011 10:36 pm »
You would think NASA would be keen to mark Endeavour's final flight with good photography, but we're still waiting to see the station undocking views of Endeavour. NASA really is slow these days releasing some photography.

Keith

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #59 on: 06/02/2011 11:01 pm »
There are rumors that a financial transaction will have to take place.

I said so a week or so ago, but my post was deleted. 

There's a difference between someone making an assumed acquisition, and someone at JSC hearing it.

On both counts, it's highly likely to be just that.

If it turns out to be true, I'll allow you to post "First, FIRST!!" ;)
« Last Edit: 06/02/2011 11:03 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography