Author Topic: Space Access '11 Live Blog  (Read 25582 times)

Offline gregzsidisin

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Frontier Astronautics, Dollinger Aerospace ... and Someone Else!
« Reply #100 on: 04/18/2011 08:06 PM »
Nice coverage, but you left out a fun moment during Tim Bendel's presentation.

Frontier Astronautics is actually hosting a number of companies at their facility, from DARMA Aerospace down to individual experimenters.

In fact, Tim made a pitch for others to join.  $200 a month gets you 10 sq ft, 4 man-hours of Frontier staff time, and access to facilities such as their test stands.  More importantly, it gives people the opportunity to incorporate as a Wyoming space business (wherever they may actually be physically), which has a number of cost, tax and business benefits.

I used this opportunity to publicly sign up as Dollinger Aerospace - a small rocket company named in honor of my late wife Paulette Dollinger.  It's great to know I have access to Frontier's missile base, and its expertise.  We had discussed the rental arrangement beforehand, but Tim's presentation marked the formal announcement of my little company.  We did it in a tongue-in-cheek manner: I ran up waving my $200, we shook hands, and then Tim displayed our logo on the screen.  (Later on, we signed the agreement papers in the hallway.)

But - lo and behold! - another guy who'd had only casual conversations with Tim then ran up unexpectedly, and gave Tim HIS $200!  I assume they discussed making it formal offline afterward.  What a hoot!

I do believe there's still room at the missile base... :)
« Last Edit: 04/18/2011 08:06 PM by gregzsidisin »
Greg Zsidisin

"Space pioneers have long studied the laws of the Universe. Now they must learn the ways of the World." -GZ, 1996

"In essence, rocket science is about blowing a lot of hot gas out an orifice. There are more experts in this field than you might realize." -GZ, 2011

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 8356
  • Likes Given: 5483
Nice coverage, but you left out a fun moment during Tim Bendel's presentation.

Frontier Astronautics is actually hosting a number of companies at their facility, from DARMA Aerospace down to individual experimenters.

In fact, Tim made a pitch for others to join.  $200 a month gets you 10 sq ft, 4 man-hours of Frontier staff time, and access to facilities such as their test stands.  More importantly, it gives people the opportunity to incorporate as a Wyoming space business (wherever they may actually be physically), which has a number of cost, tax and business benefits.

I used this opportunity to publicly sign up as Dollinger Aerospace - a small rocket company named in honor of my late wife Paulette Dollinger.  It's great to know I have access to Frontier's missile base, and its expertise.  We had discussed the rental arrangement beforehand, but Tim's presentation marked the formal announcement of my little company.  We did it in a tongue-in-cheek manner: I ran up waving my $200, we shook hands, and then Tim displayed our logo on the screen.  (Later on, we signed the agreement papers in the hallway.)

But - lo and behold! - another guy who'd had only casual conversations with Tim then ran up unexpectedly, and gave Tim HIS $200!  I assume they discussed making it formal offline afterward.  What a hoot!

I do believe there's still room at the missile base... :)
Cool, Greg! That's actually a hell of a deal. I am planning on joining a small "hacker space" (where there's lots of machine tools and equipment and space to share with other tinkerers and people who like to make stuff... mostly meatspace stuff, not much to do with computers) called the "Hack Factory" on Wednesday, and it's $50/month. But a small price to pay to give me access to tools and expertise needed to make (and possibly test) a small rocket motor.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline simonbp

Re: Space Access '11 Live Blog
« Reply #102 on: 04/19/2011 07:16 PM »
Yeah, one of the guys I talked with there helps run one of the big hacker spaces in LA. There does seem to be considerable overlap in the two communities (which is great!).
« Last Edit: 04/19/2011 07:16 PM by simonbp »

Offline Rick M

• Mojave Desert California
    • you tube
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Space Access '11 Live Blog
« Reply #103 on: 12/31/2012 01:16 AM »
Rick Maschek on Sugar Shot To Space

Great stories of launching rockets with kids. :)

Sugar Shot: launch a Sugar-Potassium Nitrate rocket to space. Parts built all over the world. Next step is 100,000 ft rocket. Single stage solid rocket that burns twice; boost, coast, reignite. Reignition difficult.

Recently did an outreach with students from Glendora Unified School District on rockets and a rocket launch with some NASA university students I'm mentoring.
Here is a little something one students made up of me:

Tags: