Author Topic: NSF Master Plan for 2017 onwards (Help create it)  (Read 99677 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: NSF Master Plan for 2017 onwards (Help create it)
« Reply #100 on: 09/27/2016 10:04 pm »
You mentioned aesthetics, so I think I should post this here. I created a design refresh for the front page and the articles a year and a half ago, based on the current logo. I shared it only privately with Chris back then, but it still looks nice to me, and this seems to be the opportunity to put it up for everyone. There's a frontpage and an article. Note that these are mock-ups, it would take quite a bit of coding to actually integrate this into the site and make sure everything works properly.

I seem to recall working on a responsive version of the front page. I tried to do it completely with CSS, no JavaScript, and got quite far but didn't quite make it IIRC. I'll see if I can dig that up tomorrow.

I've been very busy with a new job and I haven't had time for even reading the forums in months, so I can't offer any help building the new one, but if anyone wants to develop it further into something, go right ahead :). Here is a zipfile with the whole thing for convenience.

I really, really like that!!!

Let me get my head back on after today's crazy day, but yep, I do like that!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #101 on: 10/02/2016 12:45 am »
This may be one of the 90 unworkable suggestions, but how about a top level button that dynamically builds pages listing all recent posts in all update threads.   The idea is that you would see what looks like a regular forum thread, but it would contain posts from many different update threads, sorted by time.  It would be a quick overview of "what's new" across the forums without having to click through to each section.
You mean like the "Unread Topics" button except it is filtered for "update threads" only?
This could be a boon, particularly in a time of rampant discussion like now with the SpaceX failure and IAC Mars announcement generating many pages on several threads each every day.  It is impossible to catch up with them, and what I really want is the rare Updates, which fall down the Recent Posts page.  I would go so far as to elevate a "New Updates" button to the top line, right beside the "Recent Posts" and extend the duration that qualifies as "New".

Could there also be a way to trace a post forward, so that we could see if others have responded to a given post? Here I am replying to a post on Page 3 (on my screen) that will pop up on Page 5.  It is not knowable without searching if it has already been commented on on Page 4, comments with may have covered my point above.  This would also help avoid the  post/reply chain bifurcating.

As others have said, these are suggestions for small tweaks to what is by far my favorite and most visited site.  Keep up the good work!
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline MP99

« Reply #102 on: 10/02/2016 06:46 am »

I also like the idea of a favourite threads or topics list, as mentioned above. As much as I would like to follow every thread on the forum there simply aren't enough hours in the day.

That function already exists.

Click "notify" on the threads you're interested in.

Go to Profile / Modify Profile / Notifications to see all your subscribed threads in a list with most recent posts at the top.  (Add that page to your favourites / bookmarks.)

BTW, you may want to set the notify option on that page to "nothing at all".

Cheers, Martin

Offline MP99

« Reply #103 on: 10/02/2016 07:23 am »

I 100% agree with your concerns which is why I would not suggest this filtered view as a default or permanent setting.
However, catching up on long and fast moving threads is not easy, leading many people to simply not bother and to wade in with their 'new' idea which was debunked ten pages earlier. The Amos 6 failure was a good example- by the time I was able to get to a computer, it was already at about 50 pages and growing about as fast as I could get time to catch up with it. So my own approach is to skim through the posts and only concentrate on those that look sufficiently interesting.

The forum already maintains a Likes vs Posts ratio. One simple option might just be to filter on posters with a certain minimum ratio.

BTW, there is no option to Like from Tapatalk, so this would be relying on browser users, only. (It would be superb if there was some way to enable Likes on Tapatalk.)

Cheers, Martin

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #104 on: 10/03/2016 09:54 am »
I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the likes:posts ratio. And as a user since 2006 I have a lot more posts than likes, so my ratio is rather poor, compared to a newer member.
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #105 on: 10/03/2016 08:03 pm »
Yeah, that ratio is nonsense, as it tapatalk, ironically :)

This is hardly master plan fodder. We're looking for real improvements.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Liked: 1565
  • Likes Given: 770
« Reply #106 on: 10/21/2016 12:26 am »
I searched some but could not find exactly what I would like to request if at all possible.  If what I want to do is already possible however, please let me know how.

Now....

I would like a way to "subscribe" to a thread and have a link called "My Topics" that could be the forum main page for each user when that user is logged in.  Basically a customizable forum home page for each user that shows the subscribed threads for which they chose first and then everything else.  That way you can do a quick scan of all the topics you are currently interested(subscribed) in and see real quick if there are any new post counts or who was last, etc...

Example: I subscribe to topics X,Y, and Z.  Those three topics show up first when I am logged in and click on the Forum link.  After that, everything else show up as always.  If you want, I can supply a picture of what I am talking about....but in a nut shell:

Click Forums:

My Topics (header)
X - new
Y
Z - new

NASASpaceflight L2 Subscription Sections (header)
L2 Master Section
etc...

There are just so many topics, it would make it easier to show only the one you are currently discussing(subscribed) in to get a quick, one stop update on them all.

That is really the only thing I find myself wanting on this site.  Everything else is simple and functional with no unneeded eye candy.  So many site nowadays are so worried about eye candy that they make the site horrible to actually use.

And while I am at it...Thank you Chris(and team behind the scenes) for the site and everyone else for the content of the site.  Without the content and knowledge that everyone contributes to this site......there would be no site...so THANKS!!

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8779
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #107 on: 10/21/2016 12:31 am »
I searched some but could not find exactly what I would like to request if at all possible.  If what I want to do is already possible however, please let me know how.

Now....

I would like a way to "subscribe" to a thread and have a link called "My Topics" that could be the forum main page for each user when that user is logged in.  Basically a customizable forum home page for each user that shows the subscribed threads for which they chose first and then everything else.  That way you can do a quick scan of all the topics you are currently interested(subscribed) in and see real quick if there are any new post counts or who was last, etc...

That was the same request I made on a previous page and a good solution was posted above:  http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40878.msg1593407#msg1593407
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline FishInferno

• Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #108 on: 10/21/2016 01:17 am »
Maybe already suggested, but an upcoming launch schedule tab would be a great addition.
Comparing SpaceX and SLS is like comparing paying people to plant fruit trees with merely digging holes and filling them.  - Robotbeat

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Liked: 1565
  • Likes Given: 770
« Reply #109 on: 10/21/2016 01:52 am »
That was the same request I made on a previous page and a good solution was posted above:  http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40878.msg1593407#msg1593407

Sorry.  I re-read it and yes that is basically it.

The problem with the "solution" posted has two issue.  One is, i don't want to get a notification every time someone posts something in one of the watched threads.  Depending on the thread...that can end up with ALOT of notifications.

The other issue that I have with it is the favorites/bookmarks.  I jump around on multiple computers (I have used 10 different computers to view the site in 1 day before).  My(your) request would make it browser/computer independent...and you would not have to keep up with all the bookmarks/favorites as you add/delete subscribed topics.  The solution posted above, does work, but is quite cludgey.  It would just be nice to streamline all of that into one neat, simple package.

Hey....they ask for thoughts...so I give the thoughts.... ;D

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8779
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #110 on: 10/21/2016 02:39 am »

Sorry.  I re-read it and yes that is basically it.

The problem with the "solution" posted has two issue.  One is, i don't want to get a notification every time someone posts something in one of the watched threads.  Depending on the thread...that can end up with ALOT of notifications.

On the above issue, you can turn off notifications on your Profile settings as I've done on the picture here.

But for my 2 cents - I would rather like what your asking.
« Last Edit: 10/21/2016 02:41 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #111 on: 10/21/2016 06:39 am »
Maybe already suggested, but an upcoming launch schedule tab would be a great addition.

See? Only six pages long and we already have people jumping in at the end, not skimming the previous posts.
(Although I agree with the actual suggestion).
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #112 on: 10/21/2016 08:51 pm »
I have skimmed the above thread, and not seen my thought which is to aid people who skim threads and post.

For example - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/new/mod - this is to make a freedom of information request.
If you start typing in the subject box, (for example, type 'NASA') - it brings up past requests that may contain relevant information about your query.

It could work quite well for new topics - I'm unsure how well it could work for replies.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #113 on: 01/08/2017 06:06 pm »
Say, how is the new site development coming along?
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #114 on: 01/08/2017 06:13 pm »

Very well. Mark's been busy at work and has sent me screenshots of the dev site, but via text and I'm not sure how to post that. Buzzwords are "Clean" and "Professional". He's also got one of his guys to do a new logo which looks amazingly professional.

Going to fill and work the same as the current place, so no one is going to be "I'm lost" - but it'll look better (and function better).

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #115 on: 01/08/2017 06:24 pm »

Very well. Mark's been busy at work and has sent me screenshots of the dev site, but via text and I'm not sure how to post that. Buzzwords are "Clean" and "Professional". He's also got one of his guys to do a new logo which looks amazingly professional.

Going to fill and work the same as the current place, so no one is going to be "I'm lost" - but it'll look better (and function better).

Looking the best for the best Spaceflight content.:)

Offline RobM

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #116 on: 01/17/2017 08:51 am »
Just went through the 6 pages of posts here and I'd say a lot of suggestions can be interpreted as "the forum software needs an overhaul".
For a personal forum project I tried to use Discourse (see http://www.discourse.org) and I have to say I *really* like both the user experience and the level of professionalism of the developers. ESA's STEP program for their Copernicus project is using it, see http://forum.step.esa.int

I'm not at all sure if replacing SMF with Discourse is feasible for NSF, for a number of reasons including the need to have Ruby programming experience available, but I wanted to show it to you just in case :-)

Roberto
« Last Edit: 01/17/2017 08:51 am by RobM »

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #117 on: 01/17/2017 10:33 am »
Its all about the tools to convert content into a new/other system so that everything doesn't just break apart. For that reason, staying with SMF is a good option....

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 865
  • Likes Given: 1727
« Reply #118 on: 01/22/2017 04:41 am »

- The search needs vast improvement. Has a custom Google search been considered?

Search is key indeed. There is so much history, docs, insights here, and could be linked up even better. Saying "Google search" or "semantic" is helpful but not quite the full solution. Ideally, you just keep on diving into the topics, especially via L2.

Example, just today, I was searching for XS-1 status. I thought there was a thread but wasn't sure where. I used the search function on the site with "XS-1" and find all kind of textual hits for "XS-1" but across all different threads. Crucially, no hit on thread titles, i.e., I was non the wiser. In fact, I had to manually figure out and guess that it might be under the "other US launchers" and found what I was looking for.

Therefore, ideally, you'd start with a search for XS-1 to find the thread, pictures, most relevant DARPA docs, project managers, contractors, status, timelines, history, etc

For this example, I did remember the program manager name, Jess Sponable. Ideally, I'd like to see on Nasaspaceflight that when searching that name, I do not get the textual hits, but the XS-1 threads and docs, DC-X and DC-Y as related topics, book suggestions, videos, slides, etc.

Looks like searching in a knowledge graph to me :) As others mentioned the search as well, it would really lift the (L2) content of this site to the next level.

Finally, making old scanned documents from NASA or MIL-SPEC searchable via OCR would help to add even more depth to search the examples above. PDF and PS are searchable these days but not much before the '90s as you know.

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #119 on: 01/31/2017 07:33 am »
I don't like change. Let's keep everything the same.

Thats why you moved to a new area where the ground is dug out and landscape is remodeled on a daily basis... right.. ;)

Back on topic.. I would like to be able to like posts on the mobile version of the site. Yes, likes are not an essential tool but especially in L2, when I read the posts on my way to work, I have to remember all the insider infos that I intend to like and then the 120s-delay throws additional logs in my rusty memory.

I also would like for L2 to have a different background color than the rest of the forum. That visual clue will more easily stick in the brain and its actually easier to remember which piece of information can be discussed in the public threads and which not.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography