Author Topic: What happens to space travel if it is proven that there never was life on Mars?  (Read 67434 times)

Offline RigelFive

• I hope that you relish Tranya as much I
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
Perhaps this could be defined as the new era of cybernautics?

Uhhhh.... Stick with the poetry there, yungsta. Ya prose gittin' dense.  Again, I mean that in the most way possible (TM).

First, I didn't catch your new acronym, NAI.

Second, would the following be a fair interpretation of your rant outline?

Accepting the notion that government agencies grow from small committees to large bureaucracies; acknowledging that the original functions of those agencies evolve over time; noting that the evolution can result in agency mission creep resulting in a culture of non-accomplishment; what then would be a good strategy of directing the nation's aeronautic and HSF goals?

You suggest four areas of possible government endeavor.  All of them depend only upon robotic methodologies.  Therefore, it sounds like you are positing the tentative premise to remove the "H" from HSF and replace it with an "R".

Is this a fair paraphrase?
I did not think about the acronym usage very deeply, but should have. Typically this comes from working in an acronym rich environment (without Rorschach diagrams).

Unfortunately, the NAI acronym actually has another acronym embedded in it. This can be best represented like a parasitic organism that feeds of off a comatose host attached right to the head (kind of like what happend in the movie Aliens).

Anyways... So the identity of NAI is of a lesser sized organization but appears to consume the entire entity of a larger one. To be proper (using the Queen's English and elocution of acronyms), the "correct" acronym should not be NAI but NASAAI (when saying this you should scream as if saying BONSAI!!! - even though you may be just refering to a small, well manacured tree)

Conversely, when NACA changed into NASA, the acronym formed a complimentary / gooey-like integration of the former organization with the new organization but as one singular identity.

HSF is a sub organization within astronautics. RSF might even be a smaller subset of HSF. But when HSF takes a day off, the robots are in charge.

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH NAMING A NEW CYBERNAUTIC ORGANIZATION ANYTHING YOU WANT (except NASA).

Really what the new committee should do is have about a dozen robots determine the future plans for space travel. If there is an unforeseen bureacracy that suddenly prevents a launch vehicle from being built, then Congress can have a new operating system installed (via WIFI). All Congress has to do is withhold from agreeing upon a continuing resolution that is to be voted on a daily basis. Robot bureacracies are much more manageable like this.

Acronyms section:
HSF - Human Space Flight
NAI - NASA Astrobiology Institute
NACA - National Advisory Commitee on Aeronautics
NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
RSF - Robotic Space Flight
« Last Edit: 06/20/2013 06:21 am by RigelFive »

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
Well alrighty then.  Did I fairly paraphrase you above?
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline RigelFive

Yes.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
Yes.

Good.  I thought I got it.  Thanks for the clarification.  Therefore, do you agree with my synopsis of the OP?

To the OP:

Nothing much will happen to space travel if it is proven that there never was life on Mars.  The reason that nothing will happen is that the "not-life fact" will not reduce any future costs whatsoever.

Should the cost issue be alleviated by an honest government program to build a new privately operated and publicly available economic infrastructure in the cis-lunar arena, then a dead planet in a heavy gravity well will have a greater chance of having a colonization attempt.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline RigelFive

Yes.

Good.  I thought I got it.  Thanks for the clarification.  Therefore, do you agree with my synopsis of the OP?

To the OP:

Nothing much will happen to space travel if it is proven that there never was life on Mars.  The reason that nothing will happen is that the "not-life fact" will not reduce any future costs whatsoever.

Should the cost issue be alleviated by an honest government program to build a new privately operated and publicly available economic infrastructure in the cis-lunar arena, then a dead planet in a heavy gravity well will have a greater chance of having a colonization attempt.

Rather than answer yes/no to this question, let me provide some information that may amend your prior thought.

There is a job posted for the NAI Director position.  To me the would suggest:
A). The prior guy left because there was no sign of life on Mars.
B).  The new guy gets upward to $165k a year (with a bachelors degree) and 800 plus employees.  Lets just say the median salary is $100k.  This means that the budget for NAI may have swooned to $80 million in 2013 vs a number posted on wikipedia of a mere $16million in 2008.

At this rate of growth, the NAI could take over the entire NASA budget in ten years.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/339239100
« Last Edit: 06/21/2013 12:28 am by RigelFive »

Offline Chris Bergin

"And thanks for joining us on the Rigel and John show. Up next is the news...."

Locked! :D
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography