Author Topic: US Navy Eightballers to monitor EFT-1 Orion’s return  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/01/us-navy-eightballers-orions-return/

Also, I'll work on creating specific one stop update, discussion and party thread (oh deary me! ;D) threads for EFT-1's path to launch soon.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
Re: US Navy Eightballers to monitor EFT-1 Orion’s return
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/2014 03:58 pm »
Thanks for the cool article!

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 3156
« Reply #2 on: 01/03/2014 05:01 pm »
Excellent work, I have high hopes for EFT-1
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris Bergin

Thanks! And yes, this is getting very close now!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8746
« Reply #4 on: 01/03/2014 07:32 pm »
Nice article, Chris. I have to wonder what the bill to the taxpayer is going to be just for the ocean splashdown and the Orion throw-away escape system and fairing. I fear that the huge cost of this program will be the hammer that will be used to kill it.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Peter NASA

• Extreme Veteran
  • SOMD
  • Liked: 8747
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #5 on: 01/03/2014 09:27 pm »
What bill to the taxpayer? Do you run around 1001 other subject sites and say the same thing for everything involving a taxpayer funded organization?

Your comment seems very uneducated and not fitting for a thread for a very good factual article.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #6 on: 01/04/2014 12:12 am »
Well; we are in the era where lots of people complain that a spaceship isn't a spaceship unless it has wings, is fully reusable, and/or is made by Elon! And if it costs more than $99 bucks; ''It's Pork! Pure Pork I tell you!! Why wont anyone listen to me...;) :(:(
« Last Edit: 01/04/2014 12:44 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8746
« Reply #7 on: 01/04/2014 01:23 am »
What bill to the taxpayer? Do you run around 1001 other subject sites and say the same thing for everything involving a taxpayer funded organization?

Your comment seems very uneducated and not fitting for a thread for a very good factual article.

I think it's a very good question and not uneducated at all. How much is the Navy charging NASA for the operations of this ship and it's crew of about 400 professionals, plus the helo squadron's aircraft and their personnel?  How much does the fairing and escape tower (which isn't used for anything else, and is discarded unused), cost?  After this one-time Delta IV Heavy use, how much will each launch of the SLS cost? This is going to be a very expensive system. It is going to have it's critics, and they will compare it with other manned systems and say: "Why is this program so expensive?".

There is nothing wrong with Chris' article. Remember, originally Orion was supposed to land on dry land. Problems with that approach caused a switch to ocean recovery, which caused this whole operation involving the Navy's assets.  I still want to know: how much does this add to the cost?  I don't care  that it doesn't have wings; I prefer capsules actually. I just think that the abort and recovery modes inherited from Apollo will make this program vulnerable. Snarky attacks aren't going to make the questions go away.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Paul Howard

• Veteran
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #8 on: 01/04/2014 05:50 pm »
Won't matter how much it costs. It's integrated into their budgets. No extra cost. Cancel it and you'll get a refund? No.

Very interesting test and looking forward to the mission.

Offline Stardust9906

• Global Moderator
  • Durham, UK
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 1369
« Reply #9 on: 01/04/2014 06:59 pm »
Nice article Chris looking forward to EFT 1.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #10 on: 01/04/2014 08:36 pm »
Well; we are in the era where lots of people complain that a spaceship isn't a spaceship unless it has wings, is fully reusable, and/or is made by Elon! And if it costs more than $99 bucks; ''It's Pork! Pure Pork I tell you!! Why wont anyone listen to me...;) :(:(

Does Chris' insurance cover "cordless mouse destroyed by spilled tea as a result of careless forum member enjoying highly entertaining post"?

No?

Dang! Off to the local PC-store then... ;)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #11 on: 01/04/2014 10:26 pm »

Does Chris' insurance cover "cordless mouse destroyed by spilled tea as a result of careless forum member enjoying highly entertaining post"?

No?

Dang! Off to the local PC-store then... ;)

Sorry about that!!
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline JazzFan

• Florida
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #12 on: 01/04/2014 10:50 pm »
Another good write up Chris and especially the respect to the and Navy and its relationship with NASA.  I almost feel like a kid again watching manned ocean recoveries by the Navy in the 60s.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography