Author Topic: ESA - Vega Updates  (Read 145406 times)

Offline Notaris

• Europe
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ESA - Vega Updates
« Reply #180 on: 12/19/2014 06:47 AM »

Well, the new propellant tanks for AVUM+ are on their way and will definitely come. As I said myself, it is by far not given that the new storable engine will make its way onto the stage (due to limited funding). However, Vega-C is currently the only funded programme and the only one that the involved parties can afford. All major space transportation nations in Europe (for sure France, Italy and Germany) are broke after the decision for Ariane6, posing considerable problems for financing Vega-E any time in the mid-term future!
Again, I don't see it that way. Unless my timeframe is way off... Vega C (Consolidation) is supposed to go operational in the 2018-2020 timeframe, with Ariane 6 being supposed to go operational at the end of that timeframe.
All dates I've seen for Vega E (Evolution) refer to a period beyond 2023. That leaves a nice three-to-four year gap to find funding for Vega-E. Unless the scope of Vega E is changed considerably it should not be too difficult to find the funding to complete the LYRA/MYRA upper stage. There is limited precedent for this: a supposed lack of funding never managed to completely kill off the development of Vinci before it became fully funded again. They even managed to get some very significant work done during the low-funding period. My feeling is that LYRA/MYRA will be similar.

I think that we can agree on the fact that Vega-E will most likely come at some point of time. I assume that we can also agree (seeing that you also see no Vega-E flying before 2023) that predictions are rather speculativ considering the long time span. On the rest, we seem to have slightly different expectations. A methane stage with an Italian engine seems to be granted for you (Lyra/Myra). I do not outright exclude a methane stage (but would expect rather a methanized Vinci derived motor....),  but it is for me only one option out of several.

Offline JulesVerneATV

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #181 on: 12/24/2014 03:13 PM »
I'm happy with all that's developed and the problems which have been overcome, Vega will really get attention when it starts launching ground breaking technologies into space like the LISA Pathfinder spacetime gravity wave mission.

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 202
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #182 on: 05/16/2015 08:42 AM »
http://www.esa.int/About_Us/ESA_Publications/ESA_Bulletin_161_1st_quarter_2015

From ESA Bulletin 161 (Page 80)

For storable propulsion, the Demonstrator hot-firing test campaign at Lampoldshausen was completed with 53 successful firing tests. This engine is the precursor of the Europeanised AVUM for Vega-C launcher. In line with the German subscription to VECEP at the Ministerial Council, FLPP is now anticipating and preparing for the storable demonstrator to go into development. The Hybrid Propulsion Demonstrator campaign began in September and two successful full thrust tests have been performed up to now, showing very promising performance data.

Online Alpha_Centauri

• England
  • Liked: 199
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #183 on: 05/31/2015 02:55 PM »
There was an ASI workshop in April all about Vega's past, present and future. There's some interesting presentations linked to at the bottom of the Italian version news article.

http://www.asi.it/it/news/vega-una-storia-italiana-di-successo

There's a bit more clarification regarding the status of Vega-C and E, but there's two things that particularly caught my eye. One is the VEnUS (not to be confused with the German upper stage proposal) solar electric 5th stage.

http://www.asi.it/sites/default/files/5.c_-_VEnUS_-_ESA_IPT.pdf

This has been mooted before but this is the first I've seen where they are targeting launch on the Vega-C qualification flight, presumably go ahead is needed next year.  The VEnUS module would dramatically expand Vega's capability allowing decent scientific missions to all near-earth space.

The second is a tiny mention about Vega-EH. I haven't heard of this before and after some digging it appears more was shown at the workshop than is in the presentations;

http://www.bis-italia.it/workshop-sul-programma-vega-in-asi/

Turns out Vega-EH is an ambition for a heavy Vega launcher with either 2 or 3 P120C boosters.  This would presumably close the gap between Vega and the lightest Ariane 6.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #184 on: 05/31/2015 07:58 PM »
Thanks Alpha_Centauri for finding those interesting presentations.
So maybe ESA Gets a dual launcher family: Vega and Ariane.
I'm missing one member of the Vega family: the Mini-Vega, VegaS or Vega S / M
The VegaS is the Vega rocket without first stage. CNES already refered to it in 2007.
See page 19 of this presentation.
Vega M could be used to launch mini-satalites (200-500kg class) to odd inclinations. As for example, the Expert reentry vehicle mission.

I'm no rocket expert but developing Vega M looks very easy to me. Only three things are required:
 - A new launch mount to mount VegaS at the same height as it sits on top the P88 or P120C at ELV.
 - Software modifications so the Vega launch sequence starts with the second stage (Z23 or Z40).
 - (optional) A 1,9m - 2.2m diameter fearing so VegaS experiences less drag-losses during liftoff.

Currently only three to four Vega rockets can be launched per year. Most likely this is caused by the fact the P88 stages are filled at the BIP and there is only one launch mount that has to be at the BIP during the filling process. As a result the production rate for the Z23/Z40, (Z9) and Avum+/VAS is only four per year. Could the cost per stage be lowered by launching two VegaS per Year? (increasing the production to six per year).
Could ESA benefit from the capability VegaS brings? (I know of one payload 'EXPERT' that has no launcher, could it be launched by VegaS?)
Is the development as easy as I think?
What is a useful and reasonable implementation timing? and what will be the capability:
VegaS C (Z23/Z40, Z9 & Avum+) ~2019 or VegaS E (Z40 & VAS) ~2022 ?

I take from the presentations that VEGA H(eavy) will be implemented after VEGA E launches. I conclude from the presentation they will air-start the center P120C. A second version of the P120C will need to be developed so the P120C can withstand the loads form the side boosters and is air-started. Maybe usefull for a A66 configuration.
My big question for the VEGA EH is which launchpad can it be launched from? Is ELS (ELA1) strong enough to withstand two P120C simultaniously? And how can they be integrated om ELS.
To me the development of Vega EH looks much more complicated than developing Vega CM(ini) or EM.

I'm looking forward your oppinion about VegaS/ VEGA CM / EM, and other Vega developments.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 4500
« Reply #185 on: 06/01/2015 04:51 PM »
Great find! I love one of the small details that might mean they are know begining to understand how a commercial company moves. They are leaving ADA behind and writing all the GNC in C. And are adding GNSS sensors for improving the orbital insertion accuracy. Off with committee piles of rubber stamping and in with agile development methods. Good for them.
BTW, I'm not disregarding the system engineering approach. Just the use of ridiculous languages to try to put SE in everything. You need it on the process, not on the language.

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #186 on: 08/12/2015 07:30 PM »
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Launchers/Ariane_6_and_Vega_C_begin_development

Ariane 6 and Vega C begin development

Today, ESA signed contracts for the development of the Ariane 6 new‑generation launcher, its launch base and the Vega C evolution of the current ESA small launcher.

The contracts, signed at ESA’s Paris Head Office with Airbus Safran Launchers (ASL), France’s CNES space agency and ELV, respectively, cover all development work on Ariane 6 and its launch base for a maiden flight in 2020, and on Vega C for its 2018 debut.

ESA is overseeing procurement and the architecture of the overall launch systems, while industry is developing the rockets, with ASL as prime contractor and design authority for Ariane 6, and ELV for Vega C.

ASL and ELV are working closely together on the P120C solid-propellant motor that will form Vega C’s first stage and Ariane’s strap-on boosters.

Ariane’s modular approach will offer either two boosters (Ariane 62) or four boosters (Ariane 64), depending on the required performance.

The contract amounts are: €2400 million for Ariane 6 (ASL), €600 million for the launch base (CNES) and €395 million for Vega C (ELV).

Offline Oli

• Liked: 385
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #187 on: 08/17/2015 03:45 PM »

More technical details on P120C, Z40 and MIRA-F in the pdf attached.

Regarding Vega EH, if I had to make a guesstimate it would be 3.5t+ to GTO with a Mira upper stage and up to 7t with an A6 upper stage.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 979
  • Likes Given: 345
« Reply #188 on: 08/17/2015 04:12 PM »

More technical details on P120C, Z40 and MIRA-F in the pdf attached.

Thanks for that. MIRA looks pretty serious by now - another operational LOx-LNG upper stage in the worldwide stable would be awesome.
Trade-off whose participant are ELV, Arianespace, Avio, and ASL is expected to reach a
selection point on September 2015.
Crossing fingers all September here.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #189 on: 12/11/2015 02:32 PM »
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Launchers/Vega_graduates_with_perfect_record

Vega graduates with perfect record

Europe’s Vega light launcher is entering its commercial life boasting a flawless record and an impressive set of capabilities for a wide range of missions.

Vega scored its sixth straight success with the launch of ESA’s LISA Pathfinder scientific craft earlier this month, having already lofted payloads for Earth observation, space engineering and exploration.

Operator Arianespace has now taken over full responsibility for Vega’s commercial exploitation at Europe’s Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #190 on: 02/23/2016 12:34 PM »
The second Preliminary Design Review (PDR) meeting for VEGA-C was held in Italy about a week ago.
avio_reunites_in_italy_the_brains_of_european_space/

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #191 on: 03/08/2016 06:47 PM »
http://www.arianespace.com/press-release/satellite-2016-arianespace-reaffirms-its-goal-mission-to-success/

By the end of the year Arianespace plans to start marketing initial launches by Vega C and Ariane 6, Europe’s future launch vehicles, scheduled to make their first flights in 2018 and 2020, respectively.

Online Kryten

• Liked: 235
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #192 on: 04/06/2016 04:12 PM »
Peter B. de Selding ‏@pbdes  3h3 hours ago
ESA officials: Upgraded Vega-C's inaugural flight slips from 2018 to 2019 to accommodate newly designed 1st stage for 10% performance boost.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #193 on: 04/12/2016 10:23 AM »
Now Vega C has slipt to 2019. Might it be a good idea to skip Vega-C and move directly to Vega-E. Saving the money to develop a launcher that has to be replaced because of EU Reach regulations. The propellants used by AVUM(+); UDMH and NTO are highly toxic and the EU wants them to be replaced.

A couple of pages back is a link to presentations given at the VeCEP workshop in 2015.
The presentation: Vega Market lessons learned, shows that there are annually two 1,5-3mT payloads and eight 0,3-1,5mT payloads.
In the time-frame 2016-2023 they forecast that the payloads are:
47% 0,2-0,7mT;
33% 0,7-1,5mT;
20% 1,5-2,5mT
and no payloads in the 2,5-3mT range.

So most payloads are <1mT, possibly a light version of VEGA-E is beter suited for this. (P50/Z40-Z40-VUS 2,4m fairing). Vega C/E can only launch 3 times per year because the P120C propellant casting facilities are only capable of producing 35 P120C annually (32 for Ariane 6 and 3 for Vega C/E). The facilities currently cast (6*4=24 + 3=) 27 P80/EAP segments annually. Most likely the Z40 stages will be filled at AVIO in Italy, for 3 VEGA-E and 3 small Vega launchers, 9x Z40 stages are needed. And six VUS (Vega-E Upper-Stage) are needed for those launchers.

In my opinion there are four options for the Vega-E Upper-Stage (VUS):
Two are in the presentation: Vega Consolidation and Evolution; Work in Progress on Propulsion.
- Mira (avio+russia):  75-120kN LOx-LNG (has Avio acquired enough technology from Russia to build it themselves, or are there other (European) companies that can supply a LOx-LNG engine by 2019.   
- HM7C (safran): 60 kN LOx-LH2 an cheaper version of the HM-7B that is used on Ariane 5's ESC-A, where 3D printing and other new technologies are applied on. (This might also be used on the last batch of Ariane 5).
And two low TRL alternatives:
- Nammo Hybrid upper-stage (HYPROGEO) HTP (High Test Peroxide) - HTPB
- Green hypergolic: HTP-RP-1 or HTP-Ethanol (most likely UK or Nammo).
Edit2: there is also a fifth engine option a Small Vince LOx-LH2 expander 60-120kN (not likely, ISP 460 instead of 440 with HM7C (GG).

I guess for 200-400 mln euro additional to the 400mln for the Vega-C development, both Vega-E and the Small Vega can be developed. This can be decided at the ministerial conference 2016. Is this a good or a bad idea?

Edit: Sorry for posting this in the VEGA update topic. There is no Vega discussion topic, if I´m not mistaken.
« Last Edit: 04/12/2016 10:32 AM by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #194 on: 06/08/2016 12:28 AM »
ESA's 4th Quarter 2015 Bulletin was placed online May 24th.
On page 57 is the status update about Vega evolution / Vega C.
To me two things stand out:
1) they are writing about a Standard Payload Fairing, this will be standard for all future Vega C/E(/F) launchers.
This can also indicate that there will also be a non standard fairing.
2) I concluded that AVUM+ will use the new developed BERTA engine from the sentences:
'Activities for AVUM+ BERTA configuration are going according to plan. An important Berta Key Point was held in October, which showed no technical issues at system level.

There are images on Reddit and the french Forum-Conquete-spatiale.
A comment underneath the Reddit picture summarizes the changes nicely. The 0,4m length increase caused a propellant loading increase of 6mT (Form 136mT on Avio slides in 2015 to 142mT on the BBC images).
The boss to boss length of the P120C/ESR stage has increased from 11,7m to 12,1m. I expect a total length of about 14,5m and a total mass of 155mT.
Apparently a trick with the tank-structure saved 100kg, (Spherical-Conical common bulkhead, and lithium aluminium alloy?)
In the second post on reddit they post about VEGA E, but nothing is certain about that. Avio want's the 75-120kN LOx-LNG MIRA engine to be used on a three stage system. But I think a cheaper version of HM-7 that contains 3D printed parts, or a HTP-Hybrid or HTP-RP-1/Ethanol could also be chosen (the later is my speculation and would be a 4-stage system). The chances for a toxic hyperolic upper-stage for VEGA E are very slim, because their use is going to be banned by European Reach regulations. (the HTP-Hybrid of HTP-RP-1 are non toxic hypergolic fuels).

I'm wandering how the aerodynamics of VEGA C+ are working out. Possibly it is wise to use a fairing around the Z9A and AVUM+ stages, so the VEGA C+ will have the same aerodynamic configuration as Vega E. (The diameter is increased to the 2,36m diameter of Z40.) This will have a payload mass penalty, but could save a lot of trouble. 

Me on speculative mode: VEGA F: ESR + Promethee 1000kN LOx-LNG; 240mT (155+85mT) could this have a 4,5mT SSO capacity? And with a Green AVUM+ (HTP-Hybrid | HTP-RP-1)  third/ in orbit stage?

Edit: I assume they have forgoten to write the Z9A stage at the VEGA C and C+ configurations. It was part of VEGA C.
« Last Edit: 06/08/2016 12:41 AM by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Hobbes-22

• Acme Engineering
    • Acme Engineering
  • Liked: 126
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #195 on: 06/08/2016 07:21 AM »
A fairing around the AVUM would interfere with the RCS on that stage.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #196 on: 06/11/2016 10:20 PM »
I discovered via a French forum, that Avio uploaded an hour long video to youtube back in may.
It is a recording of the press conference that was given when ESA director Jan Woerner visited AVIO.
I also found the slides from the presentation from AVIO. 

« Last Edit: 06/12/2016 01:18 PM by Jester »

Offline catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1693
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #197 on: 06/24/2016 07:37 PM »
Getting Vega’s launch tower moving

European Space Agency, ESA

Published on Jun 24, 2016
Once its mobile launch gantry is moved away, then Europe’s Vega launcher is primed for lift-off – except for the time the stuck gantry refused to move. Solving the problem and getting the gantry mobile again was one of the more unusual tasks of ESA’s Materials and Electrical Components Laboratory. Team members explain in their own words how the movement of the gantry’s wheels and performance of its bearings were analysed with the Lab’s Aramis  3D camera system. Without touching the test subject, Aramis measure the 3D surface deformation of items subjected to various kinds of loads, from mechanical loads to themal stress. Aramis can identify the slightest submillimetre deformation of materials and structures put to the test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krz0lEA0D8o?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #198 on: 06/27/2016 07:29 AM »

Offline Kosmos2001

• CAT
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #199 on: 02/21/2017 02:57 PM »
Announcement of opportunity for the launch of multiple light satellites on a Vega flight

VEGA is a small launcher developed by ESA composed of three solid propellant stages and a bi-liquid upper stage. The launch system has been designed to carry a 1500 kg Spacecraft on its reference low earth orbit mission (700 km circular polar). The launcher has to date successfully performed all its eight flights.

In 2014 ESA initiated activities to preliminary assess the feasibility of an improved service dedicated to SmallSats to expand the launcher in-orbit capability to ride-share concepts. The Small Spacecraft Mission Service (SSMS) is planned to be ready for a first flight on a Vega launch in the second half of 2018.

VEGA SSMS project is targeted to the definition of VEGA service elements tailored for light satellites, notably: a) adapter and dispenser system structures, mechanisms and avionics; b) mission analysis and launch preparation processes and tools by adaptation of the VEGA standard ones.

The objective of this Announcement of Opportunity is to identify and pre-select Candidate Spacecrafts for a first Vega flight based on SSMS hardware and processes. The selection process is described at chapter 4. The European Commission adopted on 26 October 2016 the Communication on the Space Strategy for Europe. With the objective of reinforcing Europe's autonomy in access to space, the Commission identified possible areas of action which include supporting research and innovation efforts, in particular to ensure Europe's ability to react to and anticipate disruptive changes; encouraging the development of commercial markets for new space activities.

Tags: