Author Topic: Old TV Sci-Fi: "Men into Space"  (Read 12664 times)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
Re: Old TV Sci-Fi: "Men into Space"
« Reply #20 on: 05/21/2016 07:12 pm »
As a footnote, I also recently stumbled across a childhood-favorite cartoon called "Space Angel".  Anybody remember that one?

Yep!  "Scott McCloud -- Space Angel!"  I used to make tinkertoy models of the Starduster when I was a kid.

The show was made in limited animation, with filmed human mouths speaking the lines and matted in to the non-moving "animation" frames.  The other cartoon I recall that did this was "Clutch Cargo."
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: Old TV Sci-Fi: "Men into Space"
« Reply #21 on: 05/26/2016 03:02 pm »
I recently caught another episode of the series.  I notice that when a ship returns to earth, it's shown landing at "Muroc dry lake," Muroc now being known as Edwards.  The footage looks like it might be real.  Is it?  If so, can anybody identify the aircraft making the landing?

Yep, North American X10 Tech-demonstrator for the Navaho cruise missile, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_X-10) during testing. IIRC its one of the ones that belly landed during testing and the episode had McCauley is unconscious and the RV had to be landed by two not-so-sure-of-themselves rookies.

What always got me about the show was the assumption of how quick and expansive 'progress' would be. A Moon base, Space Station, and regular rocket flights to both and beyond and the main transport aircraft for the Air Force is still piston and prop driven!

Randy
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography