Author Topic: NASASpaceflight L2 - Overview and Q&A  (Read 166298 times)

Offline Rob in KC

• Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 99
Re: NASASpaceflight L2 - Overview and Q&A (Updated)
« Reply #20 on: 10/03/2007 08:35 pm »
Just noticed this new overview. Much better than the old one.

Been on L2 for a year and it just keeps on getting better. Amazing place to literally feel like you're involved in the space program.

Offline Jonty McLee

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: NASASpaceflight L2 - Overview and Q&A (Updated)
« Reply #21 on: 10/08/2007 03:34 pm »
Q) What is that new Historical section about. That is of interest to me, but a sample example like you've done for some of the other sections would be appreciated.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #22 on: 10/08/2007 03:49 pm »
Jonty McLee - 8/10/2007  9:34 AM

Q) What is that new Historical section about. That is of interest to me, but a sample example like you've done for some of the other sections would be appreciated.

It's a bunch of historical documents, presentations, high-res images, and videos from Apollo, Shuttle and smaller numbers from other vehicles, programs and even locations.  It's actually very impressive and is my new favorite part of L2.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #23 on: 10/08/2007 03:58 pm »
Jonty McLee - 8/10/2007  4:34 PM

We're still building it, but given we've got a surge, it needed it's new section to stretch its legs. It's a mix of what Lee noted, with threads into subsections (one thread contains multiple files) with digital versions of previously unavailable resources. Well before my years, but I was shocked by the quality of the images and videos - for example - as they obviously had some good cameras even back in that day and age. To also note, the image file sizes are up into the 1mb level,

A small screenshot of some of it below (but this is getting built big time still as we have specific sources for this now):
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #24 on: 10/11/2007 03:44 pm »
Quick note, as we've had a couple of these over the past couple of days, when registering for an account on here, prior to joining L2, you do need to have a valid e-mail address, so the system can send you your password.

If you're struggling for whatever reason, mail me and I'll sort you out with an account.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Tim S

• MSFC
  • Liked: 821
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #25 on: 10/18/2007 04:04 pm »
Hugely impressed with L2. I'm acting like a kid in a candy store, so I can only imagine what it's like for a fan.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #26 on: 10/22/2007 10:05 pm »
A short edit of one part of the video showing a CGI animation of the new Ares I rollercoaster added to the second post in this thread (third attachment), on request.

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

• Supporting FDOs since 1999
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #27 on: 10/27/2007 09:23 pm »
Good newer overview. Also would like to add that L2 is superb. I suspect people who join are suprised by how impressive it is once they've got access.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #28 on: 10/30/2007 02:00 am »
Thanks for the above comments.

I'm posting as I'm requesting the person who just signed up to L2, called "John" to mail me at [email protected] or PM me, as your e-mail address is bouncing back. Thanks.

Edit: Check your PMs.

Offline ShuttleFan75

• Regular
« Reply #29 on: 11/02/2007 04:55 pm »
Question Chris, are the presentations something you can download and see on the site only, or can they be downloaded to to the computer?

I ask as I would like to be able to read through documents on my laptop, but does that mean I have to be on L2 with the laptop to read them, or can I put them on a CD or datastick and transfer?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #30 on: 11/02/2007 05:02 pm »
ShuttleFan75 - 2/11/2007  6:55 PM

Question Chris, are the presentations something you can download and see on the site only, or can they be downloaded to to the computer?

I ask as I would like to be able to read through documents on my laptop, but does that mean I have to be on L2 with the laptop to read them, or can I put them on a CD or datastick and transfer?

Yep, downloadable documents, on to your hard drive. Copy them across to your laptop or whatever you want...just not to other sites.

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #31 on: 11/07/2007 05:33 pm »
I know there's always some post flight, but I wanted to publically saw how amazingly good L2 was for this mission. Really had it all, felt like I was at the MMT, and already getting through the STS-122 presentations. Thank you to this site and the amazing sources.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #32 on: 11/07/2007 10:15 pm »
Martin FL - 7/11/2007  6:33 PM

I know there's always some post flight, but I wanted to publically saw how amazingly good L2 was for this mission. Really had it all, felt like I was at the MMT, and already getting through the STS-122 presentations. Thank you to this site and the amazing sources.

Thanks, and yes, we'll revert the special section to STS-122, as we already have enough on that mission to do the switch, whilst continuing post flight with STS-120 in the STS section of L2.

Offline LeeAnne

« Reply #33 on: 11/09/2007 11:51 pm »
'Don't know where else I should be posting this question, so if itbelongs somewhere else, please forgive...  I keep hearing about a "wish list" for L2. Where would I find it to post a wish?

Lee Anne
Lee Anne Ward, PMP
Spacegirl, Mariner 2 fan

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #34 on: 11/10/2007 02:32 am »
LeeAnne - 10/11/2007  12:51 AM

'Don't know where else I should be posting this question, so if itbelongs somewhere else, please forgive...  I keep hearing about a "wish list" for L2. Where would I find it to post a wish?

Lee Anne

It's the Shopping Lists at the top of each section, where you can request a specific document/subject and the sources usually come up with it. I see you've since found it :)

Offline LeeAnne

« Reply #35 on: 11/11/2007 02:12 am »
Yes, L2 is like walking into the Library of Congress, looking for a book to read. Where do you start???   8-)

I think there ought to be a college course just in how to find stuff in here! WOW!

Lee Anne
Lee Anne Ward, PMP
Spacegirl, Mariner 2 fan

Offline Seattle Dave

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #36 on: 11/13/2007 04:59 pm »
LeeAnne - 10/11/2007  9:12 PM

Yes, L2 is like walking into the Library of Congress, looking for a book to read. Where do you start???   8-)

I think there ought to be a college course just in how to find stuff in here! WOW!

Lee Anne

I've been on it a year and keep finding amazing things. The cloud is very helpful for specific searching.

Offline ShuttleFan75

• Regular
« Reply #37 on: 11/14/2007 05:53 pm »
Chris Bergin - 2/11/2007  1:02 PM

ShuttleFan75 - 2/11/2007  6:55 PM

Yep, downloadable documents, on to your hard drive. Copy them across to your laptop or whatever you want...just not to other sites.

Thanks for your answer. Been on L2 for a couple of days now and I'm astonded by how great L2 is. I'm only about one percent through it and I've already classed this as my best ever purchase via the internet and blows everything I've ever seen before on space flight. Not just the videos, images and documents, it's the people on there, with actual NASA people explaining the complicated stuff. It's brilliant and very clever as it gets you excited about the space program again. Win win, five stars.

Offline ShuttleDiscovery

• NASA's first teenage astronaut
  • UK
    • Shuttle Discovery's Space Page
« Reply #38 on: 11/14/2007 06:11 pm »
I also agree. I've been on L2 six months now and I love it! Will definately be signing up for another year next may..

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #39 on: 11/19/2007 05:56 pm »
Requested by PM, updated L2 menu: (L2 is four sections, the below cloud menus, which list each element of the specific menu choice).

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography