Author Topic: (4TH SCRUB): Delta 2 - CloudSat and CALIPSO - April 25  (Read 24569 times)

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
RE: LIVE: Delta 2 - CloudSat and CALIPSO - April 25
« Reply #40 on: 04/25/2006 10:09 am »
Launch team receiving final instructions for launch.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #41 on: 04/25/2006 10:10 am »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #42 on: 04/25/2006 10:11 am »
No go for upper level winds!

-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #43 on: 04/25/2006 10:12 am »
Oh crap. SCRUB :(
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #44 on: 04/25/2006 10:12 am »
Scrub for today!

Offline Tahii

• Fetch me a fix of anesthetic
  • Lurking around the Awarua Space Tracking Station
  • Invercargill, New Zealand
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #45 on: 04/25/2006 10:13 am »
Gah! Maybe if I stop staying up late to watch these scrubs, maybe they will get it launched  ;)

Offline DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #46 on: 04/25/2006 10:16 am »
24 hr recycle.

Offline Hotol

• Regular
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #47 on: 04/25/2006 10:16 am »
How could that have zero weather constraints all the way through this countdown, then get this wind problem? Did it suddenly pick up in strength?

Offline DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #48 on: 04/25/2006 10:18 am »
Upper level winds are not part of the weather LCC, it's a vehicle control issue.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #49 on: 04/25/2006 10:19 am »
Hotol - 25/4/2006  11:16 AM

How could that have zero weather constraints all the way through this countdown, then get this wind problem? Did it suddenly pick up in strength?

They don't go calling the weather man for that - that's why they use the balloons.

Offline DaveS

• Sweden
RE: (4TH SCRUB): Delta 2 - CloudSat and CALIPSO - April 25
« Reply #50 on: 04/25/2006 10:20 am »
And it had been trending towards to the limit during the countdown, the latest weather ballon just revealed that upper level winds had gone by the limit and therefore causing a scrub for today.

Online Chris Bergin

Remember folks we have another launch today: "Start-1 rocket will launch Israel EROS-B satellite from Svobodny cosmodrome at 16:47:16 UTC" - which we're seeing how much information we can get hold of.

Progress docking tomorrow, after the 5th attempt of the Delta 2.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #52 on: 04/25/2006 10:54 am »
"Upper level winds are not part of the weather LCC, it's a vehicle control issue."

"5:13 a.m. - The launch weather officer has given an updated forecast. Weather conditions for today's flight continue to look good with a 0% chance of weather violations. "

I'm not sure I understand... There was a 0% chance of weather violations for launch, but they don't consider vehicle control when they make a launch forecast?

I find it VERY hard to believe that in the weather regime in place that conditions changed that fast. I'm wondering if they didn't launch balloons based on the 0% number until the last minute? Something strange with this one (sort of like the missing tanker from Sunday ;> )

"They don't go calling the weather man for that - that's why they use the balloons."

But the weatherman knows what the wind forecast is, and was watching any balloons that were launched when he made the 0% forecast... So there is a disconnect somewhere.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #53 on: 04/25/2006 11:57 am »
rdale - 25/4/2006  6:54 AM"Upper level winds are not part of the weather LCC, it's a vehicle control issue.""5:13 a.m. - The launch weather officer has given an updated forecast. Weather conditions for today's flight continue to look good with a 0% chance of weather violations. "I'm not sure I understand... There was a 0% chance of weather violations for launch, but they don't consider vehicle control when they make a launch forecast?I find it VERY hard to believe that in the weather regime in place that conditions changed that fast. I'm wondering if they didn't launch balloons based on the 0% number until the last minute? Something strange with this one (sort of like the missing tanker from Sunday ;> )"They don't go calling the weather man for that - that's why they use the balloons."But the weatherman knows what the wind forecast is, and was watching any balloons that were launched when he made the 0% forecast... So there is a disconnect somewhere.

Weather and winds are two different contraints.

The range weather officer monitors standard weather items, such as rain, ground winds, fog etc.

Contraints by winds aloft are vehicle and mission specific and are "monitored" by the launch vehicle contractor with help from the range and it is the LV contractor who makes the "winds" GO/NOGO call.

The range weather group launches ballons periodically (per the LV contractor's requirements) during the count to measure the upper altitude wind profile.  This profile is provided to LV contractor to assess vehicle controllability and update software parameters onboard. Usually the last ballon, which is late in the count, is used for verification that winds have not changed in profile since the previous one (forwhich the software was updated) or hoping that they come back into acceptable ranges.  Issues wrt winds are not always discussed over the prime countdown channel until late in the count.

To recap, the scrub call was made by Boeing and not the weather officer

BTW, missing tanker is due to breakdown.  NASA and Boeing have to rely on other organizations for support, they can't control everything.

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #54 on: 04/25/2006 12:17 pm »
"Issues wrt winds are not always discussed over the prime countdown channel until late in the count."

Thanks for the clarification - I went over the data from VBG's balloons and the forecast models and didn't find anything that changed much from the outlook... I guess I don't understand why it's not talked about on the main loop - but I'm most surprised that it wasn't even mentioned in passing by anyone.

And if you check the Virtual Lanch Control page at NASA - the initial note was that high clouds were the reason why so it looks like I wasn't the only one who noticed the lack of comms ;> They since fixed it to say winds.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #55 on: 04/25/2006 12:34 pm »
rdale - 25/4/2006  8:17 AM"Issues wrt winds are not always discussed over the prime countdown channel until late in the count."Thanks for the clarification - I went over the data from VBG's balloons and the forecast models and didn't find anything that changed much from the outlook... I guess I don't understand why it's not talked about on the main loop - but I'm most surprised that it wasn't even mentioned in passing by anyone.And if you check the Virtual Lanch Control page at NASA - the initial note was that high clouds were the reason why so it looks like I wasn't the only one who noticed the lack of comms ;> They since fixed it to say winds.

It is talked on other comm channels.  There are more than 30 for each mission. 

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #56 on: 04/25/2006 12:44 pm »
I'm referring to PAO... I didn't ever hear him even make a peep about potential winds, and you'd think that would be important info!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #57 on: 04/25/2006 01:11 pm »
rdale - 25/4/2006  8:44 AMI'm referring to PAO... I didn't ever hear him even make a peep about potential winds, and you'd think that would be important info!

Some LV's have a dedicated Wind channel.  PAO doesn't have all of the channels or if he did, it would be hard to monitor all of them.

It might have been the last ballon that went NOGO, vs the rest being marginal.

I have worked issues that PAO either doesn't know about or doesn't think it is worth the effort.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #58 on: 04/25/2006 02:53 pm »
The next launch attempt is tentatively set for Wednesday, April 26, at
6:02 a.m. EDT, pending availability of all required Western Test
Range assets. Launch commentary on NASA TV starts at 4 a.m. EDT.

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #59 on: 04/25/2006 05:09 pm »
Hearing the range is good to go.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement