Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 35147 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1341
  • Likes Given: 168
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #220 on: 10/25/2017 06:53 PM »
Perhaps with every jump of the spore drive they end up in a slightly different reality, that one of these will be the mirror universe and eventually the original TOS universe complete with original style ships and Klingons.

Offline mantlo

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #221 on: 10/25/2017 08:15 PM »
can someone spell fratnization here

Online QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2993
  • Likes Given: 721
« Reply #222 on: 10/25/2017 08:38 PM »
Perhaps with every jump of the spore drive they end up in a slightly different reality, that one of these will be the mirror universe and eventually the original TOS universe complete with original style ships and Klingons.

hehe.. I'd love that.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

Online Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 555
  • Likes Given: 643
« Reply #223 on: 10/26/2017 10:01 AM »

I'm guessing that the season 1 climax will turn out to have some kind of quantum trickery in it. Maybe the reason why the Discovery-verse is so different from the prime time line is solely because of the Discovery and the Glenn's Toadstool Drive experiments and, when Burnham feeds back the engine on itself to seal a spacial anomaly/swirly CGI effect, they suddenly find themselves in The Cage - style uniforms, on a more TOS-looking set and wondering why there is no record of this alleged Klingon War. Or, maximum-headscrew, only Burnham remembers the previous time-line and is hard-pressed reconcile her two parallel memories of the past few years.

The Toadstool Drive - Now the Reset Button is an actual plot device!
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline dodo

• Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #224 on: 10/26/2017 02:30 PM »
this suddenly explains everything

Offline Nibb31

• France
  • Liked: 139
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #225 on: 10/31/2017 06:52 AM »
Well, the last episode of Discovery was much more Star-Trek like, with a pretty much self-contained story, crew bonding and nice happy feelings. That should keep the fans happy!

Online Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 555
  • Likes Given: 643
« Reply #226 on: 10/31/2017 08:29 AM »
They did say that the 'Canon Compliance Office' started having input from S1x06 so we might start seeing a 'fans veto' impact on the direction of the scripts from here on in.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1179
  • Likes Given: 779
« Reply #227 on: 11/02/2017 03:33 AM »
Soooo... is just me or is swearing in Star Trek the final straw for any one else? They trying to generate power from Gene Roddenberry's spinning corpse or what?

It is really difficult for me to evaluate many things in current American culture.

Hollywood has its own values and culture. It's really a world of its own. It's not representative of American culture in general (which is more diverse than that). There are many articles that discusses how out of touch Hollywood has become with every day people in America (and elsewhere) and they believe that partly explains the failures of major Hollywood films this year.

Incidentally, I am not crazy about Discovery either...
« Last Edit: 11/02/2017 03:36 AM by yg1968 »

Offline Oli

• Liked: 379
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #228 on: 11/03/2017 02:01 PM »
Soooo... is just me or is swearing in Star Trek the final straw for any one else? They trying to generate power from Gene Roddenberry's spinning corpse or what?

It is really difficult for me to evaluate many things in current American culture.

Hollywood has its own values and culture. It's really a world of its own. It's not representative of American culture in general.

That made me laugh. American's highest representative is a reality TV jerk.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3610
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #229 on: 11/03/2017 02:49 PM »

Hollywood has its own values and culture. It's really a world of its own. It's not representative of American culture in general.

That made me laugh. American's highest representative is a reality TV jerk.

Executive, not representative.  He won in the Electoral College, but did not win a popular vote majority during the election, as our representatives (Congressional and Senate) must do, so I would not call him a "representative" of the greater U.S. populace. 

But enough politics.  Back to Star Trek.  ;)

- Ed Kyle

Offline kch

• Liked: 467
  • Likes Given: 8375
« Reply #230 on: 11/03/2017 03:25 PM »
can someone spell fratnization here

Well, I hope *somebody* can!  Oh, what the hey, I'll give it a shot -- is this it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternization

:)

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #231 on: 11/03/2017 03:54 PM »
This week’s Mudd episode was easily it’s most Trek like episode in the traditional sense.

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1271
  • Likes Given: 3313
« Reply #232 on: 11/03/2017 04:28 PM »
This week’s Mudd episode was easily it’s most Trek like episode in the traditional sense.
I think the latest Mudd episode proves that you can have a long story arc and mix in "one off" stories.  I certainly won't argue it was a great episode but it was fairly standalone and I found it fun.  The end needed work but at least it wasn't Qpid from start to finish.

This is what I expect Discovery to keep doing. Push along the main storyline/struggle (which I still believe is, how does The Federation survive a war and ultimately end up The Federation we know and love rather than Starship Troopers?)  With more "classic" episodes for levity or to explore different issues.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #233 on: 11/03/2017 04:30 PM »
I think the latest Mudd episode proves that you can have a long story arc and mix in "one off" stories.  I certainly won't argue it was a great episode but it was fairly standalone and I found it fun.  The end needed work but at least it wasn't Qpid from start to finish.

This is what I expect Discovery to keep doing. Push along the main storyline/struggle (which I still believe is, how does The Federation survive a war and ultimately end up The Federation we know and love rather than Starship Troopers?)  With more "classic" episodes for levity or to explore different issues.

Was a bit annoyed they didn’t say anything about the time ship stuck inside the space whale. Surely they’d want to examine something like that.

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
« Reply #234 on: 11/03/2017 04:55 PM »

Was a bit annoyed they didn’t say anything about the time ship stuck inside the space whale. Surely they’d want to examine something like that.
Yeah the science officers and Captain "how do we make it a weapon" Lorca should have been drooling all over that thing.

But at least next week we'll remember that a StarFleet officer and Lorca's FWB is being held captive by the Klingons.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2460
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #235 on: 11/14/2017 04:12 PM »
Discovery has now had its mid-season finale, back in January. Here are a couple of pretty pictures:

Offline Star One

• UK
Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #236 on: 11/14/2017 08:51 PM »
Looks like it’s going to start jumping from one parallel reality to another, making you wonder if the prime universe it started in was even the same as the TOS one to start with.
« Last Edit: 11/14/2017 08:52 PM by Star One »

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #237 on: 11/21/2017 10:42 AM »
Everyone seems to be judging Discovery by comparing it to TOS and TNG.  Try comparing it ti the new Trek movies instead.  Much closer tech wise and we know Burnam was raised on Vulcan with Spock so Discovery is happening in the same era as Star Trek/Into Darkness/Beyond/........?

Offline mme

« Reply #238 on: 11/21/2017 04:05 PM »
Everyone seems to be judging Discovery by comparing it to TOS and TNG.  Try comparing it ti the new Trek movies instead.  Much closer tech wise and we know Burnam was raised on Vulcan with Spock so Discovery is happening in the same era as Star Trek/Into Darkness/Beyond/........?
Discovery is suppose to be about 10 years before TOS and the writers claim it takes place in the same universe as TOS (as opposed to the new movies' timeline).

I think they'll invent a reason for the spore drive to "go away."  Funnily the only technology that really bugged me in Discovery was the holodeck. Primarily because TNG made such a big deal about how new/amazing it was. But also because I hate holodeck episodes. :) I'm also a bit put off by the Vulcan mind meld allowing so much long range telepathy but again I was never a fan of mind reading and the like.

Things like flat screens and even 3D projections are fine by me since it's suppose to be in our future and I don't think you could pull off the look of TOS today without it being a distraction.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #239 on: 11/21/2017 09:23 PM »

I think they'll invent a reason for the spore drive to "go away."  Funnily the only technology that really bugged me in Discovery was the holodeck. Primarily because TNG made such a big deal about how new/amazing it was. But also because I hate holodeck episodes. :) I'm also a bit put off by the Vulcan mind meld allowing so much long range telepathy but again I was never a fan of mind reading and the like.

We already know why the Spore Drive will go away. It isn't practical long-term based on the affects it is having on Stammets and the fact he violated Eugenics Laws (Khan) to make it work for him.

There was already long-range mind-melding in Star Trek: Enterprise (between T'Pol and Trip, who like Burnham wasn't Vulcan.)

Tags: