Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 31187 times)

Online Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 548
  • Likes Given: 623
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #80 on: 09/25/2017 09:44 AM »
If I didn't have a disturbingly old crush on Michelle Yeoh, I probably wouldn't keep watching.

Post liked for intellectual honesty! ;D
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Online spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 310
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #81 on: 09/25/2017 01:41 PM »
They didn't develop the characters.  We know very little about them.  Too dark for a time between the show Enterprise and Captain Archer, and Kirk.  They are trying to throw in race with the Klingon albino, also more women leaders instead of a balance of both sexes.  Hope it don't get too political.  I grew up in the late 50's and 60's.  We had far more problems to worry about back then.  Stuff people are complaining about today is small potatoes.  Kind of stupid. 

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2434
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #82 on: 09/25/2017 02:24 PM »
I just looked at the options for CBS All access.  They have a free trial week where you can see the second episode, but you  have to pick a plan and give them a credit card number.  I think you have to cancel within the week or the plan starts.  $5.99 / mo with what they call limited commercials and $9.99 /mo for commercial free.

Thinking about this, it's only 10 episodes, right? That means paying them either $12 or $20, then canceling. Not a bad deal for the season. You would pay more for a DVD. People are only really objecting because of the belief that CBS should be free, and they're already paying for some other streaming service. But it's a limited cost, not a lifetime commitment.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #83 on: 09/25/2017 02:26 PM »
They are trying to throw in race with the Klingon albino, also more women leaders instead of a balance of both sexes. 

You realize it's Star Trek, right? You don't like women leaders or people of different colors, then find another franchise.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2157
  • Likes Given: 5101
« Reply #84 on: 09/25/2017 02:35 PM »
After seeing episode 1 and 2 the jury is still out. I might have to re-watch them again get a better sense as I was triple screening it at the time and had to look up at the Klingon dialogue to read it and I may have missed some bits. I wonder if it be so for the entire series. I don't want to spoil it for those who have only seen episode 1...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob, Physics instructor, aviator, vintage auto racer

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3548
  • Likes Given: 610
« Reply #85 on: 09/25/2017 03:44 PM »

Hope it don't get too political.
The Original Series was all politics.  It featured episodes with "hippies", during the Vietnam War.  It dealt with race when Martin Luther King was still alive and leading marches.  Kirk was a Cold Warrior.  The Klingons represented the Soviet Union.  Etc. and Etc.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 09/25/2017 03:45 PM by edkyle99 »

Online Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 148
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #86 on: 09/25/2017 04:30 PM »
Well, I watched the broadcast episode.  I won't be paying to watch it on CBS All Access and I especially won't be giving them a credit card number so I can watch the free week only to have to fight with their customer service to cancel before they bill me.

I did have some thoughts regarding the show:

I was more than a little bugged by Michael's attempt to usurp command.  They tried to explain it a bit with her background and the comm with Sarek, but all they really did was muddy the waters thoroughly.  The event felt like it came almost completely out of left field.  Her arguing for firing first I can completely understand.  Her assaulting her commander (and friend) of 7 years in order to override the decision to follow the rules and regulations to which Michael herself swore an oath at commissioning to uphold?  Unacceptable without a LOT more backup.

I am willing to accept the anachronistic visual and technological elements in a supposed prequel, mainly due to Trek having long established the existence of alternate timelines to the 'primary'.  But it in no way, shape, or form conforms to the established primary timeline either visually or technologically.

Why the STAR WARS hyperdrive arrivals???  Where's the standard (Since ST:TNG) 'Optic Boom' of warp drive???  This was even different from the J.J.Abrams BSG Jump Warp arrivals....

If they are insisting that this is 'prime universe' then it is completely anachronistic, because we know exactly what the leading edge of Federation Technology looks like 10 years prior to the original series.  We were shown it in the original series when they cut in 'The Cage' (original pilot) to make 'The Menagerie' where Spock hijacks the ENTERPRISE to take Commodore Pike back to Talos IV.

Star Trek: ENTERPRISE did an excellent job of making the Original Series sets look fresh and functional with their Mirror Universe episodes with the USS DEFIANT.  The producers could have embraced that look, but chose not to.  Thus calling this 'prime universe' is going to honk off a lot of long-time fans.

Another thing that bugged me.  If this is a prequel, what is the ENTERPRISE 'unit patch' doing on the SHENZHOU crew uniforms?  The original series clearly had each ship having its own left chest unit patch.  Per the established history, the ENTERPRISE's was adopted fleet wide AFTER the 5 year mission due to its 'fame'.

My gut feeling is that Discovery is 'stylistically' a bridge between Star Trek: ENTERPRISE and the Abrams reboot.

1) The design of the uniforms is a growth from the ENTERPRISE uniforms
2) The design of the SHENZHOU internally and externally much more closely reflects ENTERPRISE
3) The size of the SHENZHOU internal spaces reflects the Abrams reboot.
4) The bridge of the SHENZHOU is on the BOTTOM of the saucer with a huge front window. (Abrams reboot style)

And my final question:

Sorry... but the Trek folks KNOW that (and how) their titles get abbreviated.

Star Trek Discovery

STD

How the HECK did this one get by front office? :o
« Last Edit: 09/25/2017 04:41 PM by Cherokee43v6 »
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2157
  • Likes Given: 5101
« Reply #87 on: 09/25/2017 04:43 PM »
Well, I watched the broadcast episode.  I won't be paying to watch it on CBS All Access and I especially won't be giving them a credit card number so I can watch the free week only to have to fight with their customer service to cancel before they bill me.

I did have some thoughts regarding the show:

I was more than a little bugged by Michael's attempt to usurp command.  They tried to explain it a bit with her background and the comm with Sarek, but all they really did was muddy the waters thoroughly.  The event felt like it came almost completely out of left field.  Her arguing for firing first I can completely understand.  Her assaulting her commander (and friend) of 7 years in order to override the decision to follow the rules and regulations to which Michael herself swore an oath at commissioning to uphold?  Unacceptable without a LOT more backup.

I am willing to accept the anachronistic visual and technological elements in a supposed prequel, mainly due to Trek having long established the existence of alternate timelines to the 'primary'.  But it in no way, shape, or form conforms to the established primary timeline either visually or technologically.

Why the STAR WARS hyperdrive arrivals???  Where's the standard (Since ST:TNG) 'Optic Boom' of warp drive???  This was even different from the J.J.Abrams BSG Jump Warp arrivals....

If they are insisting that this is 'prime universe' then it is completely anachronistic, because we know exactly what the leading edge of Federation Technology looks like 10 years prior to the original series.  We were shown it in the original series when they cut in 'The Cage' (original pilot) to make 'The Menagerie' where Spock hijacks the ENTERPRISE to take Commodore Pike back to Talos IV.

Star Trek: ENTERPRISE did an excellent job of making the Original Series sets look fresh and functional with their Mirror Universe episodes with the USS DEFIANT.  The producers could have embraced that look, but chose not to.  Thus calling this 'prime universe' is going to honk off a lot of long-time fans.

Another thing that bugged me.  If this is a prequel, what is the ENTERPRISE 'unit patch' doing on the SHEN-JO crew uniforms?  The original series clearly had each ship having its own left chest unit patch.  Per the established history, the ENTERPRISE's was adopted fleet wide AFTER the 5 year mission due to its 'fame'.

My gut feeling is that Discovery is 'stylistically' a bridge between Star Trek: ENTERPRISE and the Abrams reboot.

1) The design of the uniforms is a growth from the ENTERPRISE uniforms
2) The design of the SHEN-JO internally and externally much more closely reflects ENTERPRISE
3) The size of the SHEN-JO internal spaces reflects the Abrams reboot.
4) The bridge of the SHEN-JO is on the BOTTOM of the saucer with a huge front window. (Abrams reboot style)

And my final question:

Sorry... but the Trek folks KNOW that (and how) their titles get abbreviated.

Star Trek Discovery

STD

Because perhaps and sadly the fact that Gene is no longer with us R.I.P.
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob, Physics instructor, aviator, vintage auto racer

Online Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 148
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #88 on: 09/25/2017 04:47 PM »
Someone on another board discussing that, in answer to the same question said that the standard naming convention would take the first three letters... ie ST:Voy, ST:Ent...

ST:Dis

So they ARE trying to alienate the fans, dissing on Star Trek. ;)
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 195
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #89 on: 09/25/2017 05:59 PM »

STD

It is abbreviated DSC, just like Enterprise is abbreviated ENT.

And I'm glad the ship models don't look like Jeffries made them in the 60's. I like the original shows and most of the others.
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1265
  • Likes Given: 3221
« Reply #90 on: 09/25/2017 06:03 PM »
They didn't develop the characters.  We know very little about them.  Too dark for a time between the show Enterprise and Captain Archer, and Kirk.  They are trying to throw in race with the Klingon albino, also more women leaders instead of a balance of both sexes.  Hope it don't get too political.  I grew up in the late 50's and 60's.  We had far more problems to worry about back then.  Stuff people are complaining about today is small potatoes.  Kind of stupid.
Other's have pointed out that TOS (and the ST universe) is intentionally political.

I'll disagree about Discovery's the gender mix. The Klingon leader and the Admiral were male.  The balance of leaders by gender was 50/50 and the highest ranking leader introduced was male.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Online Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #91 on: 09/25/2017 06:58 PM »

And I'm glad the ship models don't look like Jeffries made them in the 60's. I like the original shows and most of the others.

Actually, this looks like some pre-production designs they did for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Online spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 310
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #92 on: 09/25/2017 07:10 PM »
I'm not against women or other people.  THEY tried to make an issue with the dark and light Klingon, not me.  They should let it go.  Don't mention race.  I just didn't see a lot of men or human men major characters on the earth ship, mostly women and aliens.  I thought the time frame was right after Enterprise, so there wouldn't be as many aliens on board unless they were Vulcans.  We just had not discovered as many aliens by then.   

The new Star Trek first movie developed the characters.  The only character they developed was the first officer.  I also didn't like the way the first officer disrespected the captain in front of the crew.  To much disrespect today.

I grew up in the 1960's, there were REAL issues then, today just small potatoes and localized.  I have a black grand daughter, and Perto Rican cousins.   Had no problem with Voyager series, nor Deep Space 9.  I just thought the series needed a little more balance and more actual "Discovery" not so dark and immediately having enemies. 
« Last Edit: 09/25/2017 07:22 PM by spacenut »

Offline Todd Martin

• Elgin, IL
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #93 on: 09/25/2017 07:22 PM »
Watched Ep1 & 2 (bought annual pass for CBS All Access).  Yes, I'm a Trek fan-boy and really excited about the show.  First, it is refreshing to see a long-format plot-line for Star Trek.  This is like Babylon 5, where characters will develop and stories strengthen as the series goes on.  Second, the acting is pretty good (though I thought all the Klingon speech was stilted).  Third, the special effects were top-notch.  CBS is treating this show seriously, it is not an Abrams bam-bam-flash-formula plot a 3rd grader can write nor a Fan-service hentai piece.  For Trek, it is being true to Gene's ideals and the Technology has been updated because it has been a long time since Voyager aired!

For those who won't pay CBS All Access, I'd say you're missing out if you are a Trek fan.   

Offline Oli

• Liked: 378
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #94 on: 09/25/2017 10:37 PM »
I just watched this.

Every time I heard or saw the new Klingons:

What were they thinking?

As for the rest, it wasn't good but there's hope.

Offline sparky42

• Cork, Ireland
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #95 on: 09/25/2017 10:47 PM »
I'm not against women or other people.  THEY tried to make an issue with the dark and light Klingon, not me.  They should let it go.  Don't mention race.  I just didn't see a lot of men or human men major characters on the earth ship, mostly women and aliens.  I thought the time frame was right after Enterprise, so there wouldn't be as many aliens on board unless they were Vulcans.  We just had not discovered as many aliens by then.   

No Discovery is set only 10 or so years before TOS, so the better part of a century after ENT, and by the end of that you had Starfleet working with several of the founding members (the mentioned Tellerites, Andorians for example)

Offline sparky42

• Cork, Ireland
« Reply #96 on: 09/25/2017 10:51 PM »

Other's have pointed out that TOS (and the ST universe) is intentionally political.

I'll disagree about Discovery's the gender mix. The Klingon leader and the Admiral were male.  The balance of leaders by gender was 50/50 and the highest ranking leader introduced was male.

And the next Captain is also a male, so there's that.

Offline sparky42

• Cork, Ireland
« Reply #97 on: 09/25/2017 10:53 PM »
Watched Ep1 & 2 (bought annual pass for CBS All Access).  Yes, I'm a Trek fan-boy and really excited about the show.  First, it is refreshing to see a long-format plot-line for Star Trek.  This is like Babylon 5, where characters will develop and stories strengthen as the series goes on.  Second, the acting is pretty good (though I thought all the Klingon speech was stilted).  Third, the special effects were top-notch.  CBS is treating this show seriously, it is not an Abrams bam-bam-flash-formula plot a 3rd grader can write nor a Fan-service hentai piece.  For Trek, it is being true to Gene's ideals and the Technology has been updated because it has been a long time since Voyager aired!

For those who won't pay CBS All Access, I'd say you're missing out if you are a Trek fan.

Honestly would have to disagree with you as a Trek Fan, didn't find anything major (and the main protagonist I could do without), frankly I would have been more interested in seeing the 7 years with Yeoh as Captain rather than what we are now getting, waste of a great actress

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #98 on: 09/25/2017 10:57 PM »

STD

STD

Spaceship geeks are wigging out on this stuff.

Offline Graham

• New York
  • Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #99 on: 09/25/2017 11:01 PM »
It wasn't Star Trek, it was JJ Trek. I'm holding out hope that we will see traditional Trek in the future, with creative problem solving, interesting characters, and just generally less shooting and lasers. There was a reason that DS9 didn't just start with the Dominion War, and even then was still nuanced enough to avoid having the entire plot of each episode revolving around phasers and photon torpedoes.

Roddenberry is rolling in his grave.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night
- Sarah Williams

Tags: