Author Topic: DIRECT v2.0 - Thread 2  (Read 1356587 times)

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 487
Re: DIRECT v2.0 - Thread 2
« Reply #4080 on: 01/08/2009 06:33 pm »
PM Cover and write-up is still not enough to make the front page of this site.

Hopefully the next shoe to drop on the 15th will qualify :)
« Last Edit: 01/08/2009 06:34 pm by TrueBlueWitt »

Offline Pheogh

• Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #4081 on: 01/08/2009 06:34 pm »

Hopefully the next shoe to drop on the 15th may qualify :)

I second that completely!!!

Offline Yegor

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4082 on: 01/08/2009 06:38 pm »
I went to a local "Chapters" bookstore (analog of "Barnes and Noble") they have not got a new "Popular Mechanics" yet but told me that they should get it tomorrow afternoon.

Offline mattrog

« Reply #4083 on: 01/08/2009 06:45 pm »
Is it me or does anyone else see a vision in the exhaust plume?

;D

Does look like quite an obvious face in throat of the outboard engine ... - bit too obvious so i guess it was intentional

Anyway - really really great job guys - im really hoping you get a positive payout from all of the hard work you have put in

Have a great time and get some rest!! This thread can wait till you get back - plenty of people here have got your back !!

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #4084 on: 01/08/2009 06:52 pm »
Is it me or does anyone else see a vision in the exhaust plume?

;D

Does look like quite an obvious face in throat of the outboard engine ... - bit too obvious so i guess it was intentional

Looks like it might be Obama's face.
JRF

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #4085 on: 01/08/2009 06:56 pm »

Ahem... You do realize that's Nascent Ascent's artistic impression, don't you? :-D

The original posted by Ross doesn't have a face.

Offline cgrunska

• Austin Tx
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4086 on: 01/08/2009 07:08 pm »
This is great! I'm going to pick up this magazine in a few days and pour over it. Hopefully something great comes of this!

Offline mattrog

« Reply #4087 on: 01/08/2009 07:16 pm »

Ahem... You do realize that's Nascent Ascent's artistic impression, don't you? :-D

The original posted by Ross doesn't have a face.

Damn ..... *matt shuffles off soooo embarrassed - this is why i don't post often ....*
Damn .....
Damn .....

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4088 on: 01/08/2009 07:25 pm »
Just picked it up at Barnes and Noble. Amazing! It is quite extraordinary that a concept that started in a discussion on this website has made its way to the cover of Popular Mechanics.

Congrats guys!

Offline Pheogh

• Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #4089 on: 01/08/2009 07:31 pm »
I know NSF is mentioned in the first sentence!

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #4090 on: 01/08/2009 07:35 pm »

What?  Why should it?  Chris and company I think have been very good giving the forum to discuss all of this.  It's up to him if he chooses to make a story out of it or not. 
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4091 on: 01/08/2009 07:39 pm »

What?  Why should it?  Chris and company I think have been very good giving the forum to discuss all of this.  It's up to him if he chooses to make a story out of it or not. 

This is a news site. As excited as I am that Direct and NSF are in Popular Mechanics, it is not a news story.

If NASA switches to Jupiter, then we will see a story.

Offline Yegor

• Regular
« Reply #4092 on: 01/08/2009 07:56 pm »
Now, it would be nice to see a DIRECT article in "National Geographic". :)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #4093 on: 01/08/2009 07:57 pm »
Ross and Chuck know the deal with this. We're a "NASA and current vehicles" news media site, and that's our content base. If we were to run an article on Direct past the 2006 article that introduced the concept, then it has to work within the parameters of what we report.

That may happen via something like progress with the transition team and the fallout that may have on CxP's forward path (thus viable news). However, it would take the Direct team to provide me with an exclusive run on such news, because the other key element of this site is we never run second hand content. That's my duty to the site's readership as editor to ensure that when we run articles, it's not going to be something you've read somewhere else, that we've re-written, or at least has a new angle.

Unavoidable via commercial launches as a lot of it is always going to be press materials, but everything else has to work along those lines. Even our rollover article for Discovery was very different to the rollover articles on other sites due to the L2 processing content and expansion on the landing gear issue. The mating article tonight will be along those lines also, as we have to ensure it's news.

So it's not a blackout on reporting on Direct, it's a case of waiting for an update to breach into viable news content for this site under the aforementioned parameters....and the very same rules would apply to the EELV folks on their alternatives. If and when that becomes the case, we'll run with an article, no question about it.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Nathan

• Sydney
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4094 on: 01/08/2009 08:20 pm »
I managed to get my laptop to connect, so now I can keep a close eye on zapkitty.   That bleedin' cat is gonna enjoy a visit to the vet if he keeps on making a mess all over the place ;) LOL

And Yegor, yeah, I know what you mean.   We're not going to have much internet access for a few days, and very little time too, so we (Chuck and I) are going "quiet", but I hear ya -- I've had that "waiting for a bus" feeling all week, we've been waiting for ages and suddenly a whole line of things are all happening at the same time -- all the buses came at once!

I've had about 6 hours sleep in the last three day and I'm pretty sure I've got a full couple of days ahead of me.   I can't talk about any of the details yet, but now is the time to wish us luck!

Ross.

Crossing fingers and toes - good luck Direct!
Given finite cash, if we want to go to Mars then we should go to Mars.

Offline buzz123

« Reply #4095 on: 01/08/2009 08:36 pm »
Congrats on the PM article!  In addition to the exposure, it's great having an independent look at the JUS!  I'm looking forward to reading the whole article but especially what is on page 57.  I've been following this since day 1 of the original DIRECT Goes Live Thread and it's been quite an experience watching things unfold.  Good luck with your trip! 

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #4096 on: 01/08/2009 09:41 pm »
This was the one for the 15th.   But since we started talking about that date *another* has slipped inside that too :)   I've been dropping hints like crazy, but y'all will have to wait a few more days to hear more.

Lets just say that you ought not to worry if you don't hear from me for a few days.   I expect to be offline until Saturday or Sunday.

"What do you hear, Starbuck?" ;)

Ross.

Beautiful cover image. I was all hell bent to go to the store and get a copy, but it looks like I have to wait. Worth it though.

"I hear nothing but the rain"...I have an idea  ;)

Good luck you guys, and God speed. You're an inspiration. You've done a fantastic job in answering our questions, being honest, and providing NASA and your country with the next step forward in space. I'll have a nice scotch tonight in your dedication.
Go Direct, Go!
« Last Edit: 01/08/2009 09:52 pm by robertross »

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 3156
« Reply #4097 on: 01/08/2009 10:58 pm »
I managed to get my laptop to connect, so now I can keep a close eye on zapkitty.   That bleedin' cat is gonna enjoy a visit to the vet if he keeps on making a mess all over the place ;) LOL

And Yegor, yeah, I know what you mean.   We're not going to have much internet access for a few days, and very little time too, so we (Chuck and I) are going "quiet", but I hear ya -- I've had that "waiting for a bus" feeling all week, we've been waiting for ages and suddenly a whole line of things are all happening at the same time -- all the buses came at once!

I've had about 6 hours sleep in the last three day and I'm pretty sure I've got a full couple of days ahead of me.   I can't talk about any of the details yet, but now is the time to wish us luck!

Ross.

God Speed Ross and to the DIRECT team!
« Last Edit: 01/08/2009 11:25 pm by Khadgars »
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Integrator

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4098 on: 01/08/2009 11:02 pm »
The Force will be with you.

INTEGRATOR
"Daddy, does that rocket carry people?"
"No buddy, just satellites."
"Why not?"
   --- 5 year old son of jjnodice,  21.01.2011

Offline MP99

« Reply #4099 on: 01/08/2009 11:13 pm »
However, it would take the Direct team to provide me with an exclusive run on such news, because the other key element of this site is we never run second hand content.

Am I mis-reading this? ? ? ? You really won't report this unless DIRECT gives you an exclusive and refuses to talk to the rest of the press or any other news site? ? ? ? Hard not to understand your comment as meaning exactly this. Jeez.

I can understand if you need to hear directly from the source before you publish, but to say you won't list a news item just because someone else scooped you by 10 minutes is simply petty. It's still news (and directly from the souce), it's just not an exclusive.

I need to subscribe to some other news sites, I think, to hear all the news that you refuse to publish because someone beat you to it.

Martin

PS I'm very strongly tempted to apologise for such a dismissive tone, but if you really refuse to publish news because someone beat you to it, then you're not a news site, you're just screaming "first!" out to the internet. I would love to apologise if I've misunderstood the comment that I've quoted above, or its context.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography