Author Topic: Payette Says Her Space-Travel Career Could Be Over  (Read 2838 times)

Online Jeff Lerner

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 37

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 27
Re: Payette Says Her Space-Travel Career Could Be Over
« Reply #1 on: 06/24/2010 07:22 PM »
Doesn't sound like they are "losing" her - but getting rid of her.

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 06/24/2010 07:52 PM »
Doesn't sound like they are "losing" her - but getting rid of her.

No kidding!! certainly doesn't sound like a decision SHE made.. too bad if true.. I met her once when she gave a presentation at a local university (had my young daughter with me and got a picture of her together with my daughter).. she is a very good public speaker and very personable..

It will be a loss imo.
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 4070
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Offline Leardawg

• Indiana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: 06/25/2010 12:27 AM »
Seems like they're passing the baton on to the 2 new guys, Jeremy Hansen and David Saint Jacques. With Canadians scheduled to fly to the ISS at 3-year intervals (and Chris Hadfield being assigned to the next one 2 years from now), there aren't that many flight opportunities. And she's flown twice.
Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Offline Space Pete

Now that Russia are going to be producing a 5th Soyuz each year, there could be a lot more opportunities for Canadians to fly in space. I hope there is - I would definitely like to see Julie back on station.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Tourmaline

« Reply #6 on: 06/28/2010 12:37 PM »
It would be a great shame if she never flew in space again.  I remember seeing her carrying the Olympic flag in the stadium in Vancouver, I was so thrilled she was being recognised as one of Canada's Finest  :)

Offline synchrotron

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #7 on: 06/28/2010 01:45 PM »
she is a very good public speaker and very personable..

It takes more than to be personable and a good public speaker to be a good crewmember. Can anyone offer any good technical reasons why Payette should continue to get rides over the other flight candidates?

MacLean is a highly accomplished scientist and former chief astronaut. If he has reasons to select different candidates, on what basis should he be asked to reconsider his decision?

Offline Space Pete

It takes more than to be personable and a good public speaker to be a good crewmember. Can anyone offer any good technical reasons why Payette should continue to get rides over the other flight candidates?

MacLean is a highly accomplished scientist and former chief astronaut. If he has reasons to select different candidates, on what basis should he be asked to reconsider his decision?

No one is saying choose her instead of the other candidates - just choose her as well as the other candidates occasionally. With these new Soyuz seats, there should be ample opportunity to do that! ;)
« Last Edit: 06/28/2010 01:58 PM by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Lowflight

• Memphis TN
« Reply #9 on: 06/28/2010 02:45 PM »
I was at her launch in May of 1999. It was my wife's first launch.
Harold Richardson

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1338
  • Likes Given: 847
« Reply #10 on: 06/28/2010 02:58 PM »
I went to college with her sister. Her sister was an over-achiever and excelled at every thing she did. I am pretty sure that Julie Payette is also an over-achiever. I am sure that she will excel at any new opportunities that she will come across. Hopefully this will still be at the CSA. The CSA needs good ambasadors like Payette.
« Last Edit: 06/28/2010 03:03 PM by yg1968 »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 4070
« Reply #11 on: 06/28/2010 03:45 PM »

No one is saying choose her instead of the other candidates - just choose her as well as the other candidates occasionally. With these new Soyuz seats, there should be ample opportunity to do that! ;)

That is, unless Canada wants to give more astronauts that chance, and have a higher turnover rate. As most things in life, it's probably politically driven.
Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our rights & freedoms, and for those injured, visible or otherwise, in that fight.

Tags: