Author Topic: LIVE: STS-135 Flight Day 14 - EOM - RE-ENTRY and LANDING  (Read 339931 times)

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
Re: LIVE: STS-135 Flight Day 14 - EOM - RE-ENTRY and LANDING
« Reply #700 on: 07/21/2011 04:35 pm »
Quick photo op (edit: more than one)
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 04:36 pm by psloss »

Offline Chris Bergin

Very touching. Loudest applause.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline psloss

« Reply #702 on: 07/21/2011 04:37 pm »
Scratch part of that -- could also be getting some pictures with friends and family.
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 04:37 pm by psloss »

Offline Chris Bergin

Need to get that grumpy kid away from the open mic ;)
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Naito

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #704 on: 07/21/2011 04:39 pm »
Very touching, astronauts waving and giving thumbs up to Atlantis
Carl C.

Offline HelixSpiral

• Cincinnati, OH
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #705 on: 07/21/2011 04:39 pm »
Could see Fergie waving at the person(s) in Atlantis. :)
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 04:39 pm by HelixSpiral »

Offline psloss

« Reply #706 on: 07/21/2011 04:40 pm »
Thrown it back to the shot from the VAB roof.  Wonder how long until they head back into finishing the tow and get her spotted in the bay.

Offline psloss

« Reply #707 on: 07/21/2011 04:42 pm »
Could see Fergie waving at the person(s) in Atlantis. :)
Yes, Spacecraft Operators (SCOs).  I didn't see the "white room" truck go up to the hatch, so they've been in there the whole time the convoy has been parked.
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 04:42 pm by psloss »

Offline lcs

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #708 on: 07/21/2011 04:43 pm »

Well, I think he said that the space shuttle "was stinky".  I've often wondered what the orbiters smell like after being baked in solar UV for over a week, not to mention the APU exhaust deposits.  Maybe the kid was telling us something nobody ever mentions.

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #709 on: 07/21/2011 04:48 pm »
Thrown it back to the shot from the VAB roof.  Wonder how long until they head back into finishing the tow and get her spotted in the bay.

Plan is to do the SCO changeout at 2pm EDT and begin the roll-in after that. It also seems that PAO has installed 360 panoramic camera in the crew module that will need 30 minutes to be removed. The White Room will be positioned at 1:45pm EDT.
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 04:49 pm by DaveS »
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline psloss

« Reply #710 on: 07/21/2011 04:49 pm »

Plan is to do the SCO changeout at 2pm EDT and begin the roll-in after that. It also seems that PAO has installed 360 panoramic camera in the crew module that will need 30 minutes to be removed.
Cool, thanks for monitoring that, Dave.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #711 on: 07/21/2011 04:56 pm »

Offline Riley1066

• Upstate New York
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #712 on: 07/21/2011 04:56 pm »
Where exactly was Atlantis when it started the deorbit burn? (If I may ask, I forgot)
Go at Throttle Up!

Offline clevelas

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #713 on: 07/21/2011 04:59 pm »
I've been lurking on NSF since I was making plans to watch the STS-129 launch in '09.  Finally created an account today so I could make a post.

I've always enjoyed following the shuttle program, but it didn't really 'grab' me until they announced the program was coming to an end.  Living in the northwest, I never really had an opportunity to see a launch.  So when my wife and I were making plans for a vacation in November, I said 'how does Florida sound?'.  She said 'The weather is warm there, right?', so we went.   It was amazing spending 10 days in a place that literally lived and breathed space.  There was a scrub on the Atlas 5 launch we tried to see, but the shuttle lifted off right on time.  And witnessing that from the causeway (thanks to KSC visitors center for the amazing help with tickets) with all those people (can't imagine the scene for the last few), was just amazing.

Since that trip, I've been following every mission on NSF.  Thank you all for the dedication and the unique insights.  Best space sight on the internet!  I look forward to following whatever comes next with you all!

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #714 on: 07/21/2011 05:00 pm »
Live NTV coverage has ended for the 135 and the Space Shuttle program.

Orbiter
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline Kel

• Minneapolis
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #715 on: 07/21/2011 05:07 pm »

Well, I think he said that the space shuttle "was stinky".  I've often wondered what the orbiters smell like after being baked in solar UV for over a week, not to mention the APU exhaust deposits.  Maybe the kid was telling us something nobody ever mentions.

Most likely the "locker room" smell.

Offline Chris Bergin

Some - not the full raw set - of the entry photos we've been raving about on L2 are now on nasa.gov:

You have to see these:

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-135/flightday13/ndxpage1.html

Online PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #717 on: 07/21/2011 05:14 pm »

Cdr Ferguson did note the door to the WCS flew open during entry...
:)
Seriously though, I have often wondered about the smells after a long mission.  I imagine something like STS-125 works the systems pretty good!

Most likely the "locker room" smell.

Offline Chris Bergin

I've been lurking on NSF since I was making plans to watch the STS-129 launch in '09.  Finally created an account today so I could make a post.

I've always enjoyed following the shuttle program, but it didn't really 'grab' me until they announced the program was coming to an end.  Living in the northwest, I never really had an opportunity to see a launch.  So when my wife and I were making plans for a vacation in November, I said 'how does Florida sound?'.  She said 'The weather is warm there, right?', so we went.   It was amazing spending 10 days in a place that literally lived and breathed space.  There was a scrub on the Atlas 5 launch we tried to see, but the shuttle lifted off right on time.  And witnessing that from the causeway (thanks to KSC visitors center for the amazing help with tickets) with all those people (can't imagine the scene for the last few), was just amazing.

Since that trip, I've been following every mission on NSF.  Thank you all for the dedication and the unique insights.  Best space sight on the internet!  I look forward to following whatever comes next with you all!

That's awesome. We pull in massive numbers for the news site, less for the forum and then the ratio of guests vs members is huge, so to see some of these "guests/lurkers :)" open the door and say hello is very touching.

Welcome to the site's forum and stick around. We need a period of reflection, we need to pay respect to the many friends of ours losing their jobs, and then we'll push on, big time.

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #719 on: 07/21/2011 05:18 pm »
Did anyone record the part where they were playing the Voyager theme? I love that.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography