Author Topic: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-D Discussion Thread  (Read 107173 times)

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-D Discussion Thread
« Reply #40 on: 09/16/2013 09:26 pm »
sorry to say I'm disappointed today.....expected a rollout video.  :(
hope its available soon.

I hope they don't delay the launch waiting for our Party thread.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #41 on: 09/16/2013 10:40 pm »
sorry to say I'm disappointed today.....expected a rollout video.  :(
hope its available soon.

I hope they don't delay the launch waiting for our Party thread.
nah, that can't happen now..... was working to add a little Russian zest for some of the parts..
Oktober fest        Октябрь Fest
Орбитальная Fest
Orbital Fest   Oяbital    OяberFest   or Orb_erFest
========
Orbital Oktober Keg Fest
« Last Edit: 09/17/2013 01:35 pm by Prober »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #42 on: 09/17/2013 01:23 pm »
From the updates thread:

Sun Rise
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasahqphoto/9783747841/

Poor Bill Ingalls.  Never a moment's rest.  Just back from Kazakhstan and already out at Wallops for ORB-D.

I don't think anyone will try this (too hardcore, plus there may not be any flights at the right time  ;)), but is it just possible that someone can try to watch the Atlas V launch at Titusville, then (assuming it goes on time) drive to Orlando to take an early bird flight to Hampton Roads/DC and drive east, just in time to catch the Cygnus launch?   ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #43 on: 09/17/2013 01:55 pm »
NOTAMs
!CARF 09/096   ZDC AIRSPACE DCC ANTARES ORB D1 STATIONARY RESERVATION WITHIN AN AREA BNDD BY 3748N/7531W 3738N/7536W 3732N/7530W 3742N/7530W WITHIN AN AREA BNDD BY 3757N/7527W 3756N/7527W 3751N/7516W 3754N/7515W WITHIN AN AREA BNDD BY 3701N/7435W 3705N/7440W 3705N/7435W SFC-UNL WEF 1309181445-1309181545

!CARF 09/097   ZNY AIRSPACE DCC ANTARES ORB D1 STATIONARY RESERVATION WITHIN AN AREA BNDD BY 2403N/6333W 2729N/5844W 2129N/5318W 1803N/5329W 1803N/5801W SFC-UNL WEF 1309181445-1309181545
« Last Edit: 09/17/2013 02:01 pm by input~2 »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #44 on: 09/17/2013 02:44 pm »
I noticed on FlightAware that both of NASA's Global Hawk's are active at Wallops currently - I wonder whether one of them could or would be used to acquire high-altitude imagery of the Orb-D ascent?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NASA871
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NASA872
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7825
« Reply #45 on: 09/17/2013 03:10 pm »
Rollout of Antares Rocket with first Cygnus Spacecraft for International Space Station

Published on Sep 16, 2013
The Orbital Sciences Antares rocket rolled out to the launch pad the other day ahead of it's demo Cygnus flight to the International Space Station. This is the second Antares launch and first fully functioning Cygnus launch. Launch is scheduled for September 18th from Wallops Flight Facility.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: 09/17/2013 05:33 pm »
Anyone else getting the feeling that Orbital's CRS production flow to launch has gone much smoother than with SpaceX CRS? Seems like they have this working smoothly.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #47 on: 09/17/2013 06:02 pm »
They have already flown this vehicle from this pad, the v1.1 from SpaceX has a new vehicle on a new pad. So one would assume the Antares flow with be smoother.

To be fair, Antares did have some pad teething problems before the first launch...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #48 on: 09/17/2013 07:32 pm »
They have already flown this vehicle from this pad, the v1.1 from SpaceX has a new vehicle on a new pad. So one would assume the Antares flow with be smoother.

To be fair, Antares did have some pad teething problems before the first launch...

"some pad teething problems" ? The problems with the pad delayed the first flight of Antares for the better part of a year. That's a LOT of delay because of pad problems. Trouble for Orbital was that they were not in control of the pad. It was built for them by a third party.
The pad delays are partly the reason why Orbital now has a nice line-up of Cygnus and Antares vehicles waiting to get going: they kept building them while waiting for the launch pad to finally become available.

Say for instance that the same amount of delay would happen to the pad of SpaceX at Vandy. It would delay the first flight of Falcon 9 v1.1 into summer 2014.
Obviously, SpaceX has some issues with it's new pad, but the first flight of Falcon 9 v1.1 will very likely be well before summer 2014.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #49 on: 09/17/2013 08:29 pm »
I don't think anyone will try this (too hardcore, plus there may not be any flights at the right time  ;)), but is it just possible that someone can try to watch the Atlas V launch at Titusville, then (assuming it goes on time) drive to Orlando to take an early bird flight to Hampton Roads/DC and drive east, just in time to catch the Cygnus launch?   ;)

There's a 5:15 USAir/United flight connecting through Charlotte (50-minute layover) that gets into Norfolk at 8:45.  It could be done.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Lurker Steve

« Reply #50 on: 09/17/2013 08:38 pm »

There's a 5:15 USAir/United flight connecting through Charlotte (50-minute layover) that gets into Norfolk at 8:45.  It could be done.

That's a 100 mile drive to Wallops, although I suppose to could just watch the launch from Virginia Beach. That view shouldn't be too bad, right ?

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #51 on: 09/17/2013 11:59 pm »
It's only 870 miles, pad to pad...

Google maps may say 12 hours 43 minutes, just put on Radar Love on auto repeat and floor it.
« Last Edit: 09/17/2013 11:59 pm by kevin-rf »
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
« Reply #53 on: 09/18/2013 02:37 am »
Interesting note during today's presser that Cygnus' hatch is too small to allow passage of full ISS equipment racks--weight was one of reasons given.  The hatch can be enlarged, if requested, to take full advantage of the CBM opening. Are any more slated for launch?
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #54 on: 09/18/2013 02:50 am »
Interesting note during today's presser that Cygnus' hatch is too small to allow passage of full ISS equipment racks--weight was one of reasons given.  The hatch can be enlarged, if requested, to take full advantage of the CBM opening. Are any more slated for launch?
Any more what?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #55 on: 09/18/2013 03:13 am »
Interesting note during today's presser that Cygnus' hatch is too small to allow passage of full ISS equipment racks--weight was one of reasons given.  The hatch can be enlarged, if requested, to take full advantage of the CBM opening.

That seems odds. Oh well, I guess all those nice expensive payloads will go on the other CRS provider.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #56 on: 09/18/2013 03:15 am »
Interesting note during today's presser that Cygnus' hatch is too small to allow passage of full ISS equipment racks--weight was one of reasons given.  The hatch can be enlarged, if requested, to take full advantage of the CBM opening.

That seems odds. Oh well, I guess all those nice expensive payloads will go on the other CRS provider.
Nope. Dragon doesn't carry full ISS racks, either. The only vehicle that currently can take full ISS racks to Station is HTV.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #57 on: 09/18/2013 04:25 am »

Nope. Dragon doesn't carry full ISS racks, either. The only vehicle that currently can take full ISS racks to Station is HTV.

Can Cygnus take EXPRESS racks? Apparently that's what Dragon does, according to some guy named Pete Harding :)
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #58 on: 09/18/2013 06:45 am »

Can Cygnus take EXPRESS racks? Apparently that's what Dragon does, according to some guy named Pete Harding :)

No, you read incorrectly. Dragon cannot take EXPRESS racks. What Pete's article says is that Dragon flew back a GLACIER freezer that was taken out of an EXPRESS rack onboard the ISS.

Being able to carry standard ISS racks was not a requirement for the vehicles that were developed under COTS. As such, neither vehicle currently has that capability.

Offline Lurker Steve

« Reply #59 on: 09/18/2013 01:28 pm »
I believe the door opens into the cargo vehicle.

Providing support for a larger door means you need to leave more open space inside the vehicle for the door to open. That means less cargo volume can be carried up on each flight.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography