Author Topic: QUESTION: furnace/heat recycler on the ISS, why not?  (Read 3029 times)

Offline francesco nicoli

• Amsterdam
    • About Crises
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 381
Hi,

I have a probably silly question. Why the ISS is not equipped with some kind of furnace to burn trash and transform it into heat and even thrust (by expulsion of the gasses) instead of letting the trash burning the atmosphere with return cargos?

Such a tool would also help assessing whether in space melting/processing is possible in view of better use of 3d printers.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: QUESTION: furnace/heat recycler on the ISS, why not?
« Reply #1 on: 07/17/2015 05:48 pm »

I have a probably silly question. Why the ISS is not equipped with some kind of furnace to burn trash and transform it into heat and even thrust (by expulsion of the gasses) instead of letting the trash burning the atmosphere with return cargos?

Because it would take too much energy (very large solar arrays and/or mirrors)  to prepare the trash and to heat it.

It is not going to burn unless oxygen is provided.

Offline francesco nicoli

• Amsterdam
    • About Crises
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 381
« Reply #2 on: 07/17/2015 05:54 pm »
thanks, I believe this is clear enough.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #3 on: 07/18/2015 09:38 am »
Hi,

Such a tool would also help assessing whether in space melting/processing is possible in view of better use of 3d printers.
Both a Trash-to-Gas and Heat Melt Compactor capability are being looked into. NASA is also considering sending a 3D print recycler to the ISS.

Repurposing Space Station Trash for Power and Water (2013) - NASA.gov

Logistics Reduction Technologies for Exploration Missions (2014) - PDF - Includes info on Trash-to-Gas and Heat Melt Compactor.

Trash to Supply Gas (TtSG) Project Overview (2012) - PDF

Generation 2 Heat Melt Compactor Development (2014) - PDF

3D Printing in Zero‐G ISS Technology Demonstration (2014) - PDF - Briefly mentions the recycler.
« Last Edit: 07/18/2015 09:59 am by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography