Author Topic: SpaceX: Dragon V2 Unveil - Discussion/Party Thread.  (Read 536069 times)

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
Re: SpaceX: Dragon V2 Unveil - Discussion/Party Thread.
« Reply #40 on: 05/29/2014 05:09 am »
Maybe it's alignment markings for an autonomous docking system. The innermost circle is gradians and the other marks make it easier for a little embedded system to calculate the orientation of the circle to the nearest gradian? Like a 2D barcode? Aep's annotated image in the post above should make it easy to sort out if that's the case.
« Last Edit: 05/29/2014 05:10 am by mvpel »
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #41 on: 05/29/2014 05:47 am »
You'd think this was a party thread or something.

I am torn by two opposing ideas
1) give it to the video decode team
2) sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

I think someone in SpaceX said "make it just enough non random looking that the fan boys go crazy"

A blind guy goes to a Passover Seder.
Someone hands him a sheet of matzah.
"Who writes this gibberish?" he asks.

Yeah. This is becoming a party thread.
I have been following SpaceX intently since the middle of 2003.  It appears to be teaching me patience.
One more day....
Wait for it.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 3463
« Reply #42 on: 05/29/2014 06:00 am »
SpaceX operates on metric time.   Of course. 

Easier for colony ops.
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #43 on: 05/29/2014 11:50 am »
What we'll do is convert this into a discussion/party thread for tonight and I'll set up a live update thread ahead of the event.

By the way, we'll need people posting screenshots and updates into the live update thread tonight, as I'll be writing the article.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline obi-wan

• Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #44 on: 05/29/2014 12:43 pm »
Has anybody given any thought as to why Elon is doing this announcement at 7pm locally, which is 10pm EDT? He's too late for the Thursday news cycle in the US or Europe, and so early for Friday that if anything big happens he could get frozen out of the headlines altogether. The only upside I can see is that it lets his fans watch the stream outside of work, but that doesn't seem like a sufficient reason to do it so late. Any thoughts?

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #45 on: 05/29/2014 12:58 pm »
Has anybody given any thought as to why Elon is doing this announcement at 7pm locally, which is 10pm EDT? He's too late for the Thursday news cycle in the US or Europe, and so early for Friday that if anything big happens he could get frozen out of the headlines altogether. The only upside I can see is that it lets his fans watch the stream outside of work, but that doesn't seem like a sufficient reason to do it so late. Any thoughts?
He's a busy guy & this is when he has time to do it.
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #46 on: 05/29/2014 01:32 pm »

As much as we might like otherwise, it's not going to be front page in the morning for anyone but the local news- and space news sites.

This is an evening party after work for invited friends and employees.  Think ice cream social, not 787 rollout.

Plus, as ChefPat said, he's a busy guy.  He's been a fan of these "evening gatherings" and has done them before.  There's a great scene in "Revenge of the Electric Car" where he's close to tears in front of early Tesla buyers at a product development status meeting night.

And that logo looked familiar to me too. It's the combination lock for the Death Star mainframe. :)
« Last Edit: 05/29/2014 03:59 pm by sghill »
Bring the thunder!

Offline hayoops

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #47 on: 05/29/2014 02:43 pm »
The design around the logo is a typical techy circle interface to convey something is futuristic. It is a very common type of graphic we use to spruce up a presentation. I would guess this representation is more a nod to Iron Man than anything else.

Try a search for "tech circle" and you'll see what I mean.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #48 on: 05/29/2014 02:56 pm »
In time for the prime time news on the east coast including DC. Also a possible mention on Nightline (newsmagazine on ABC.)

« Last Edit: 05/29/2014 03:18 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #49 on: 05/29/2014 03:24 pm »
@obi-wan,

At a guess, he's aiming for a local constituency. Maybe there will be some local business leaders and CA politicians whom he wants to impress first and foremost.

It's unlikely that the national news would be overwhelmingly interested anyway.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #50 on: 05/29/2014 04:51 pm »
Thread converted into discussion/party thread (don't get carried away however).

New live thread for the event will be on shortly, locked until the event starts.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Rifleman

• Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #51 on: 05/29/2014 05:30 pm »
SpaceX just dropped a new teaser for us :)

« Last Edit: 05/29/2014 05:33 pm by Rifleman »

Offline WindnWar

• South Carolina
  • Liked: 333
  • Likes Given: 1811
« Reply #52 on: 05/29/2014 05:31 pm »
If that picture of the seat is real, it looks like it has some very nice looking upholstery at least!  ;)

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #53 on: 05/29/2014 05:32 pm »
Please attach images, not embed them. It breaks the site layout, and horizontal scrolling is an abomination.

Offline Rifleman

« Reply #54 on: 05/29/2014 05:33 pm »
Please attach images, not embed them. It breaks the site layout, and horizontal scrolling is an abomination.

Sorry, fixed it.

Offline Joffan

« Reply #55 on: 05/29/2014 05:34 pm »
OK - since we're now officially off update status, I'll speculate that - just as the Teslas drove onto stage, the Dragon 2 will come onto stage from above. Not under rocket power though, I think even Elon can't be that cavalier with the safety of his audience, but perhaps simulated rockets.
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline Rifleman

« Reply #56 on: 05/29/2014 05:36 pm »
I will say, I am happy that the seat in the teaser is not blue, its been so overdone lately  8)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #57 on: 05/29/2014 05:45 pm »
OK - since we're now officially off update status, I'll speculate that - just as the Teslas drove onto stage, the Dragon 2 will come onto stage from above. Not under rocket power though, I think even Elon can't be that cavalier with the safety of his audience, but perhaps simulated rockets.

HA! I just noticed your Avatar! ;D

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #58 on: 05/29/2014 05:46 pm »
So, I'm going to this event. Not sure who I'm going to meet. Any burning questions I should ask if I get the chance to pigeonhole someone?  I'm going at it from a "How does this relate to what's going to happen up at Vandenberg perspective" as in the inflight abort test, because I'm working on an article that is supposed to run in a local paper out of Santa Maria CA. If they are willing to entertain any other SpaceX related topics outside just the Dragon V2 I'll be asking.

Ill try to ask some of the ones you post here if they have time, and I'll post about whatever I wind up seeing on the open side versus L2.

Offline Thunderbird5

• "How hard could it be?" TM
  • London, Ol' Blighty
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #59 on: 05/29/2014 05:47 pm »
If that picture of the seat is real, it looks like it has some very nice looking upholstery at least!  ;)

So, the 'Signature' leather seats come as standard, I wonder whether Satnav will be an optional extra on this model? Maybe part of the 'LEO Pack'? ☺

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography