Author Topic: Apollo LEM  (Read 56056 times)

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: Apollo LEM
« Reply #100 on: 06/12/2011 08:26 pm »
Hoping this is in the correct thread/topic...

I just returned from the public tour of KSC, (Well worth it...most of my interest is in Mercury, Gemini, Apollo but the Shuttle stuff is well done!) and have many, many questions.

First- On the underside of the LM Descent stage, there is a radiator-looking assembly between the engine bell and the rear landing strut. What might this be...?

Landing radar.

Second- Why the multiple colors of foil on the vehicle?

Different thermal properties.
JRF

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #101 on: 06/12/2011 08:28 pm »
Hoping this is in the correct thread/topic...

I just returned from the public tour of KSC, (Well worth it...most of my interest is in Mercury, Gemini, Apollo but the Shuttle stuff is well done!) and have many, many questions.

First- On the underside of the LM Descent stage, there is a radiator-looking assembly between the engine bell and the rear landing strut. What might this be...?
Second- Why the multiple colors of foil on the vehicle?

Landing radar

To provide different levels of thermal control via emissitivity and reflectivity

Offline Davp99

• Fall River, MA
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 263
« Reply #102 on: 01/31/2013 06:17 pm »
Lunar Excursion Module......What a Cool name..-> LEM -> to just LM,    I'm just another kid in the 1960's, who fell in love with all things Space..

Thanks to my Dad,

There is One thing that Always made me kind of Mad.  we all know Snoopy is still (probably) in orbit between the Earth and the Sun somewhere...BUT

Spider-09, Eagle-11, Aquarius-13, Antares-14, Falcon-15, Orion-16 and Challenger-17 RIP

I Always Wished NASA could have sent them all to Wander in a Solar orbit, and Not crashed them into the Moon for Lunar-quake tests..Who knows, in the Future we might be able to Locate Snoopy and bring him back ...  he definitely could have fit into a Shuttle-Type Bay.

Okay wake up Dave..
« Last Edit: 06/06/2016 08:29 pm by Davp99 »
You Only Live Twice

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #103 on: 01/31/2013 10:46 pm »
Who knows, in the Future we might be able to Locate Snoopy and bring him back

Great idea. I wonder if anyone is still tracking it.

http://news.discovery.com/space/history-of-space/apollo-10-search-snoopy-astronomy-110919.htm

Neat.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Davp99

• Fall River, MA
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 263
« Reply #104 on: 02/01/2013 03:11 pm »
That is Neat !!

Thanx for sharing that info...

"In a celestial version of finding a needle in a haystack, Howes and his team are about to embark on the seemingly impossible: finding Snoopy!"

2 years and still LQQKing I Hope...
You Only Live Twice

Offline vericksen

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #105 on: 02/03/2013 03:58 pm »
One of the most interesting facets of the Apollo Program was the planning needed for future vehicles, work, training, etc...it seems like we did not know what we did not know!

For example, was there enough room, service area, etc at The Cape for integrating and testing the LEM?

Also, was there not a discussion as to whether there should be self-destruct mechanisms on all vehicles launched? How would this effect a moon-landeing vehicle?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #106 on: 02/03/2013 05:15 pm »

1.. For example, was there enough room, service area, etc at The Cape for integrating and testing the LEM?

2..Also, was there not a discussion as to whether there should be self-destruct mechanisms on all vehicles launched? How would this effect a moon-landeing vehicle?

1.  facilities were specifically built for it

2.  there were many discussions on that topic

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography