Author Topic: RIP Jerry Doyle  (Read 2249 times)

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 887
  • Likes Given: 693
RIP Jerry Doyle
« on: 07/28/2016 04:54 PM »
Jerry Doyle passed away today.

He was best know for his role as Michael Garibaldi on Babylon 5. Jerry Doyle graduated from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University with a degree in Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics. He worked for a while as a corporate jet pilot before becoming a stockbroker and then actor. Later Jerry became a talk radio host.

I couldn't find the thread, but I remember a photo Jim posted showing him, Mr. Doyle, and others at some NASA party. Apparently, Jerry was a manned spaceflight supporter.

Online Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 1372
Re: RIP Jerry Doyle
« Reply #1 on: 07/28/2016 05:50 PM »
Wow, what a shock.  I follow him on Facebook and he just posted yesterday. 

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #2 on: 07/29/2016 01:50 AM »
Damn. The entire main casts of its contemporaries Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager are still with us, but half the main cast of Babylon 5 is gone. Michael O'Hare (Sinclair), Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar), Richard Biggs (Dr. Stephen Franklin), Jeff Conaway (Zack Allen) and now Jerry Doyle.

Online MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 615
  • Likes Given: 1054
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 328
  • Likes Given: 187
« Reply #4 on: 07/29/2016 08:36 PM »
I got to host him at the Space Frontier Foundation's conference in 2000-  he gave a shout-out to my then 3-month-old daughter during his remarks.  Between B5 and that, he made a very favorable impression on me ;)

He will be missed.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 700
  • Likes Given: 728
« Reply #5 on: 07/30/2016 06:28 PM »
‘Babylon 5’ star and Las Vegas native Gerard ‘Jerry’ Doyle dies at 60

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/babylon-5-star-and-las-vegas-native-gerard-jerry-doyle-dies-60

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ by Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #6 on: 06/18/2017 04:04 AM »
Damn. The entire main casts of its contemporaries Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager are still with us, but half the main cast of Babylon 5 is gone. Michael O'Hare (Sinclair), Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar), Richard Biggs (Dr. Stephen Franklin), Jeff Conaway (Zack Allen) and now Jerry Doyle.

And today we lost Stephen Furst (Vir Coto).

https://apnews.com/12dfca3096984f9d8ffbdb01b54a7168

Online Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 1372
« Reply #7 on: 06/18/2017 11:25 AM »
It is seriously like the cast has been cursed.  Saw him at Megacon in Orlando a few years ago with Peter Jurasik.  It was like they were always best friends.

Online sanman

• Liked: 390
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: 06/19/2017 05:29 PM »
I liked Doyle's character Garibaldi on Babylon5 -- he seemed like a natural gumshoe type.

My favorite scene with Stephen Furst's character Vir was when he does the finger-wave to that Shadow rep after his head is on a pike.
« Last Edit: 06/19/2017 05:32 PM by sanman »

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #9 on: 06/19/2017 09:51 PM »
I liked Doyle's character Garibaldi on Babylon5 -- he seemed like a natural gumshoe type.

My favorite scene with Stephen Furst's character Vir was when he does the finger-wave to that Shadow rep after his head is on a pike.

Classic. It was even used in the opening credits the next season!

Another favorite is the bar scene with Vir and Lenier, the two ambassador's assistants. They sit down, have a few words about mutual complaints, a drink, and then "same time tomorrow?" and leave. All in about two minutes.

Or when he took a stiff drink despite Garibaldi (or maybe Londo) warning against it. Vir stands up to leave. Stays still for a moment, and then falls straight backward on his back.

And in non-comic relief, Vir's efforts to help Narn refugees by creating a fictitious diplomat, "Abramo Linconi" that looks like Captain Sheridan as a Centauri.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2183
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: 06/20/2017 01:05 PM »
Another favorite is the bar scene with Vir and Lenier, the two ambassador's assistants. They sit down, have a few words about mutual complaints, a drink, and then "same time tomorrow?" and leave. All in about two minutes.

I seem to remember it was them mutually complaining about their bosses.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #11 on: 06/20/2017 01:49 PM »
I seem to remember it was them mutually complaining about their bosses.

Correct. I didn't describe that very well!

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: 06/20/2017 02:46 PM »
No question, my personal favourite show of all time.

So many wonderful characters, absorbing story-line with a good moral heart.   I still put episodes on whenever I'm down and need a pick-me-up, and we just watched the whole show through just a few months ago.

We've lost so many of the cast over the years that it makes me really sad (time to pull out Severed Dreams, Babylon Squared and World Without End 1&2 again), but I take solace that these people really breathed life into such a great story, and I am thankful for the direct and positive effect that it had on my own life.   There has never been another show that did that.

Sleep well, sleep in the light, Stephen, Jerry, Andreas, Richard, Michael and all.

Valtoooo!!

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Tags: