Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V 401 - SBIRS-GEO 3 - Canaveral SLC-41 - January 20, 2017  (Read 110921 times)

Offline jgoldader

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 171
Congrats all around, well done! :) Great coverage, Zach got his name up in bright-lights, no one mentioned "the pipe", oh blast I just did, drink... ;D

You mean that pipe that I saw sticking out the si--
Mmf!  Mmmf!
(You hear a couple thumps, then the sound of something heavy being dragged away.)

Sorry, mods, couldn't resist.
Recovering astronomer

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
Congratulations, a nice launch!

But for a fraction of a second just before liftoff, I was worried that something was going wrong. There seemed to be an unusually long delay between the umbilical disconnect and the Atlas V lifting off. (Aren't they timed with liftoff?) Even the commentator seemed to stretch the liftoff announcement in surprise. Did the RD-180 ramp up to full thrust slower than usual, or am I just imagining things?

Had the exact same reaction. Was watching and thinking it must be the lack of solids. The delay had me very worried for a second.

Awesome launch, way to go ULA.
« Last Edit: 01/21/2017 12:16 pm by kevin-rf »
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7404
  • Likes Given: 72480

But for a fraction of a second just before liftoff, I was worried that something was going wrong. There seemed to be an unusually long delay between the umbilical disconnect and the Atlas V lifting off. (Aren't they timed with liftoff?) Even the commentator seemed to stretch the liftoff announcement in surprise. Did the RD-180 ramp up to full thrust slower than usual, or am I just imagining things?
Me, too!

The antidote: I reminded myself--there's no solids.  It's just like a Saturn V launch: the kerolox 1st stage, the "majestic" first few seconds after T=0, the color of the exhaust flame, and the way the flame-tail attenuates and flicks as it rises through the first few miles/kilometers...

An Atlas V 401 launch is like watching a mini-Saturn V launch, live in 2017!

(I wonder if Walter Cronkite had the same momentary gut feelings during the Saturn V launches that he covered! ;) )
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Newton_V

• United States
  • Liked: 822
  • Likes Given: 129

I didn't notice anything unusual with the umbilicals.
The Atlas V is a "fly-away" booster.  Time zero (what some announcers incorrectly call liftoff time) is the launch commit time.  The engine is still building up thrust, and flies away when T > W, which is after 1 second into the plus count.  In fact, the RD-180 is still building up thrust as the vehicle is flying away.  This, coupled with the fact that an announcer might be watching a different clock, than a video feed, could make it seem like it's unusually slow.  A lot of times the announcers seem to stretch out the word liiiiiiiift off, probably because they expect to see it shooting off the pad at time 0.
« Last Edit: 01/21/2017 03:41 pm by Newton_V »

Offline Newton_V

• United States
  • Liked: 822
  • Likes Given: 129
Target:

Perigee Altitude: 100 nmi | Apogee Altitude: 19,323 nmi | Inclination: 23.29 deg

Current display just before sep:

Perigee Altitude: 99.95 nmi | Apogee Altitude: 19,342 nmi | Inclination: 23.289 deg

The apogee altitude target is almost always defined "at apogee", (for GTO missions), while the other target parameters are defined at SV separation.  This means at SV separation, the target apogee altitude for a standard GTO (19,323 nmi at apogee) mission will be anywhere from 19,340 to 19,400 nmi, depending on the AoP and inclination target, and how the transfer orbit propagates due to sun, moon, effects, etc.

I'm not sure why it's done this way but seems like it always has been.  There have been many requirements discussions about it, but the customers always win in the end!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
I vote to keep the announcers from stretching out the word liiiift off, ULA should fly all future missions on the v551 configuration.

Speedy liftoff check!
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
This, coupled with the fact that an announcer might be watching a different clock, than a video feed

Looking at it, seems that it's just due to this, the video we were seeing was slightly delayed compared to the announcer's clock, I see nothing unusual about the liftoff.

Offline bjornl

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 90
A lot of times the announcers seem to stretch out the word liiiiiiiift off
And then, of course, there's the famous "lift off... did not occur" on the COTS-2 abort ;-)

But this one soared away beautifully, as expected with ULA. Great work!

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
A lot of times the announcers seem to stretch out the word liiiiiiiift off
And then, of course, there's the famous "lift off... did not occur" on the COTS-2 abort ;-)

But this one soared away beautifully, as expected with ULA. Great work!

The quote was actually, "And...liftoff. We have a...cutoff. Liftoff did not occur."
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
SBIRS Missile Warning Satellite Responding to Ground Control

The Lockheed Martin-built SBIRS GEO Flight 3 satellite will provide enhanced missile warning and defense for the U.S. Air Force

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla., Jan. 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- After a successful evening launch, the third U.S. Air Force Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) GEO satellite is now responding to commands as planned, approximately 37 minutes after lift-off.

Built by Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT), SBIRS GEO Flight 3 is equipped with powerful scanning and staring sensors that collect and transmit infrared surveillance information to ground stations. This information is used by the U.S. military to detect missile launches, support ballistic missile defense, expand technical intelligence gathering, and bolster situational awareness on the battlefield.

The satellite was launched at 7:42 p.m. EST aboard a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V rocket. Downloadable images and video b-roll of SBIRS are available here: www.lockheedmartin.com/SBIRS.

"After a successful ULA launch, signal acquisition is the first critical event in SBIRS' mission to support the Air Force with early missile warning and defense," said David Sheridan, vice president of Lockheed Martin's Overhead Persistent Infrared (OPIR) systems mission area. "With communications now established, our job begins to deliver SBIRS to its final orbit so we can complete deployments and operational testing in anticipation of the satellite's formal acceptance by the Air Force."

"Adding this third geostationary satellite to the SBIRS constellation continues our proud legacy of providing best-of-class OPIR solutions that provide real time, 24/7 data to our military and allies," said Robert Mehltretter, vice president, Northrop Grumman Military and Civil Space. "We are looking forward to seeing our sensors capture the first light of real-time world events shortly, and seeing this data delivered to the warfighter will make us proud."

The satellite will begin transitioning to its final location in geosynchronous orbit, approximately 22,000 miles above the Earth. There, the satellite's solar arrays, light shade and antennas will be deployed to begin early on-orbit testing.

SBIRS GEO-1 and GEO-2, which were launched in 2011 and 2013 respectively, continue to meet or exceed performance expectations. The satellites' sensor pointing accuracy and sensitivity for detection of targets significantly exceed specifications. While SBIRS' primary mission is strategic missile warning, infrared data will also be made available for new qualified military and civilian applications at the Air Force's recently opened Tools, Applications and Processing Lab in Boulder, Colorado.

The next satellite, GEO Flight 4, will undergo final assembly, integration and test prior to its planned 2017 launch. SBIRS GEO-5 and GEO-6, which are currently in production, incorporate a new common spacecraft bus, the modernized A2100, to dramatically reduce costs and cycle times while increasing the potential to incorporate future, modernized sensor suites.
Jacques :-)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8801
  • Likes Given: 7820
ULA Atlas V-401 / SBIRS GEO Flight 3 Launch Remote Camera Video

Matthew Travis

Published on Jan 23, 2017
ULA Atlas V-401 / SBIRS GEO Flight 3 Launch Remote Camera Video

Copyright ©2017 Matthew Travis / http://www.zerognews.com

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8801
  • Likes Given: 7820
ULA Atlas V / SBIRS 3 Launch Webcast

Matthew Travis

Published on Jan 23, 2017
ULA Atlas V / SBIRS 3 Launch Webcast

Credit: United Launch Alliance. All Rights Reserved.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
@AF_SMC & @LockheedMartin update on #SBIRS GEO Flight 3. 1st of 6 orbit raising burns completed. Satellite healthy & operating nominally.

https://twitter.com/smc_cc/status/824786216310624258

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
http://www.losangeles.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1072965/sbirs-geo-flight-3-launch-a-family-affair#.WJkp2cqKxqM.facebook

The dramatic, nighttime liftoff of a vital infrared surveillance satellite for the U.S. Air Force on Jan. 20 not only marked the successful culmination of years of preparation by a broad team of government and industry professionals, it also served as an inspiration for one Air Force family.

The first space launch of 2017, marking a year-long celebration of the Air Force’s 70th anniversary, featured the third Space Based Infrared Systems Geosynchronous Earth Orbiting satellite, developed by the Space and Missile Systems Center’s Remote Sensing Systems Directorate and its industry partners.

SBIRS GEO Flight-3 soared into space at 7:42 p.m. EST atop an Atlas V 401 rocket from Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. Locally, the launch brought “bird watchers” out to the Gordon Conference Center at Los Angeles Air Force base for an SMC Presents Launch and Learn session, hosted by Maj. Dex Landreth, deputy chief of SMC’s Launch Enterprise Directorate’s Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle Mission Management Branch, and Capt. Erik Sorensen, GEO test lead from SMC’s Remote Sensing Systems Directorate.

Lt. Col. John Mizell, materiel leader, SBIRS block development at SMC brought his entire family to witness the launch. The family’s dedication for attending back-to-back launch events for the first time in their young children’s lives was rewarded with live coverage of the countdown and liftoff of SBIRS GEO Flight-3 projected on big screen TVs. First Lt. Nick Walton, the GEO transition to operations acceptance project manager from SMC’s Remote Sensing Systems Directorate, provided ‘color’ commentary that made the experience really come to life.

“It was cool! It’s something that I don’t see every day, of course,” said Luke Mizell, the oldest of the four children, who wants to either be a CIA agent or video game designer when he grows up.

“I thought it was awesome,” younger sister Adelyn Mizell chimed in after having some technical parts of the countdown process explained by her mother, Kristen, while middle brother Paden was “excited and happy” to see the rocket take off, sitting alongside his parents and youngest brother, Eli.

“I did not know what my husband’s job and SBIRS did until the ‘60 Minutes’ program aired, featuring Gen. John Hyten, former Air Force Space Command commander,” admitted the mother of four with a laugh. “Of course, I support my husband in his career and all his jobs. I get somewhat concerned for his people more than the job itself sometimes, but I do like knowing enough to be able to explain to our children, and to ask many questions about how this whole thing works.”
Both parents expressed their appreciation for the opportunity to share the launch event with their children on base versus being at home.
“I like the fact that SMC made this a very public event. I think that’s very generous of SMC to do that, and to make this room and these nice big screens available. Kristen and I were talking about how if it was just us at home on the website, it wouldn’t have the same feel. As a father to these kids, the chance to share this with them is pretty unique,” said Mizell.

“At least for us, I think we take it a little more seriously because you never know how much longer you’re going to be in an assignment. What’s going to happen in an assignment?

How many more chances you’re going to get? We could leave SMC, and they won’t get another chance to see this.”

Kristen Mizell noted a personal, historical context as a reason for bringing her children out to observe the launch at SMC.

“I look at it as a neat aspect of the Air Force and being a part of it as a family. I grew up in the Air Force. My dad was a pilot, and it runs deep in my blood. It’s like, ‘Well, of course, of course. This is our life. This is what we want to see!’ It’s cool, and I want my kids to have the same sentiments when the day comes when we are no longer a part of the Air Force family, that they’ll remember how cool it was to be able to come to Daddy’s work and sit and watch on a big screen a rocket launch,” Mizell explained.

“And yes, it was kind of like what Daddy works on, but not really, completely his job, but it’s still cool. This is what our country is doing. This is what L.A. is doing. This is the three- star general our kids refer to when we talk about General Greaves (the SMC commander and Program Executive Officer for Space). ‘Daddy’s going to meet the general today.’ It’s just that we can put it all together for them to understand, because it’s our life.”

Col. Mizell noted a couple of interesting perspectives between his first tour of duty at SMC and his current assignment here.

“Between our two tours, Kristen and I have been here about six and a half years. Of all that time, this is the first launch that we’ve gotten to see that’s been on the program that we worked,” Mizell explained.
“The other thing is, as the ‘Ground Guy,’ it’s neat to know that the ground system that we just delivered a little over a month ago is designed to leverage the capability off these new satellites. Having gotten to see the ground facility out there at Buckley Air Force Base in Colorado, it’s neat to know we’re helping to increase the capability that the Buckley guys get to work with.”

Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
News Release Issued: Mar 22, 2017 (10:00am EDT)

First Light: Lockheed Martin-Built SBIRS Satellite Successfully Transmitting Images

The GEO Flight 3 satellite will provide a wider area of coverage for the U.S. Air Force's Space Based Infrared System

SUNNYVALE, Calif., March 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- From its final orbit location 22,000 miles above the equator, the third Lockheed Martin-built (NYSE: LMT) Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) satellite recently sent its first images back down to Earth, a milestone known as "first light." 

The satellite was launched on Jan. 20 aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket and is the third in a series of Geosynchronous Earth Orbit (GEO) satellites that the U.S. Air Force uses to provide faster and more accurate missile warning data to the nation and its allies. The satellite reached orbit, where it successfully completed deployments of its sun-tracking solar arrays, antenna wing assemblies and light shade.

"With the satellite successfully on orbit, we are now working to ensure GEO Flight 3 continues the outstanding performance trends demonstrated by its predecessors, including better-than-specified sensor pointing accuracy and the ability to detect dimmer targets than expected," said David Sheridan, vice president of Lockheed Martin's Overhead Persistent Infrared systems mission area.

The constellation is operated by the next-generation SBIRS ground station at Buckley Air Force Base, Colorado. GEO Flight 4, the next satellite in the series, will undergo final assembly, integration and test at Lockheed Martin's satellite production facility in Sunnyvale, California, prior to its launch planned for later this year.

The team is also working to modernize the fifth and sixth SBIRS satellites under a no-cost contract modification for the U.S. Air Force. Using a common, modernized A2100 spacecraft bus, the new design allows for a configurable payload module that can incorporate future sensor suites. The design will also save costs on production through a streamlined process, which enables concurrent testing of the satellite bus and payload.

The SBIRS development team is led by the Remote Sensing Systems Directorate at the U.S. Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles Air Force Base, California. Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Sunnyvale, California, is the SBIRS prime contractor, with Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems, Azusa, California, as the payload integrator. The 460th Space Wing, Buckley Air Force Base, Colorado, operates the SBIRS system.
Jacques :-)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
Posted on the 20th, just a little late...

Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
Hmmm... Two years after launch accepted for service.   Issues?

https://www.losangeles.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1869033/sbirs-geo-4-successfully-achieves...

SBIRS GEO-4 Successfully Achieves Operational Acceptance

SMC Public Affairs / Published June 06, 2019
PRINT | E-MAIL
LOS ANGELES AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. --

The Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) Geosynchronous Earth Orbit satellite (GEO-4) successfully achieved Air Force Space Command operational acceptance.  The satellite is healthy and sending data to the Mission Control Station, operated by the 460th Space Wing located at Buckley Air Force Base, Colorado.

SBIRS GEO-4, built by Lockheed Martin, launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V 411 booster on January 20, 2017.  Upon separation from the booster, satellite operations personnel began a series of planned Liquid Apogee Engine transfer orbit maneuvers to place the spacecraft safely into its final orbit.  GEO-4 reached its intended orbit and began spacecraft checkout activities by deploying the satellite’s light shade, solar array wing assemblies, and antenna wing assemblies.  With the spacecraft safely on orbit, sensor testing and checkout activities began, leading to a tuned and calibrated payload ready for warfighter use.

“Successful completion of operational testing and on-orbit performance resulted in Air Force Space Command operationally accepting the SBIRS GEO-4 satellite into the missile warning architecture to sustain war-winning capabilities for our nation,” said Col Ricky Hunt, senior materiel leader and OPIR Satellite Systems chief.  “This milestone achievement is a true testament to the years of hard work put in by the combined SBIRS Government-Contractor team, past and present”.

SBIRS GEO-4, along with other on-orbit GEO satellites and Highly Elliptical Orbit (HEO) sensors, provides worldwide infrared coverage as the Air Force replaces the legacy Defense Support Program missile warning and missile detection satellites that began operations over 45 years ago.

The Remote Sensing Systems Directorate at the U.S. Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center at Los Angeles AFB in Los Angeles, California manages the SBIRS program. Lockheed Martin Space, Sunnyvale, California, is the SBIRS prime contractor, and Northrop Grumman Electronic Systems, Azusa, California, is the payload integrator. The 460th Space Wing at Buckley AFB in Aurora, Colorado, operates the SBIRS constellation. The SBIRS program delivers timely, reliable and accurate missile-warning and infrared surveillance information to the president of the United States, the secretary of defense, combatant commanders, the intelligence community and other key decision makers. The system’s enhanced global missile launch detection capability, supports the nation’s ballistic missile defense system, expands the country’s technical intelligence gathering capacity and bolsters situational awareness for warfighters on the battlefield.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography