Poll

If cost considerations were eliminated, would you go to Mars?

My feet are planted on this Earth (No)
21 (12.2%)
I'd visit, but not move there permanently
69 (40.1%)
Sign me up. I am ready and willing to move there in the next 12 years
62 (36%)
I want to move there, but need more time to prepare my affairs (more than 12 years)
20 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 172

Voting closed: 06/01/2016 04:50 pm

Author Topic: Would you go to Mars on the BFS?  (Read 18458 times)

Online CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2394
Re: Would you go to Mars on the BFS?
« Reply #40 on: 09/28/2016 02:54 pm »
poll is closed, but with the announcement of the ITS architecture, anybody change their mind and want a trip on the Heart of Gold? I want to go, even for a visit still. Very exciting to see that tank prototype. Didn't expect that one!
« Last Edit: 09/28/2016 07:23 pm by CraigLieb »
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
« Reply #41 on: 10/16/2016 11:52 pm »
Only just noticed this poll, now long closed.  I would have voted no, mostly because I see no attraction to living on a barren planet with 1/3 gravity. However a spinning wheel type space station in LEO with 1g living space would be perfect because I would revel in the ability to go to the center and experience/work in a zero g environment and know that trips back to Earth would only take a few hours.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #42 on: 10/16/2016 11:59 pm »
My 'space ambitions' don't really extend to Mars - I would just be happy to live long enough to see some humans land there. I think I would be more than satisfied with just two space missions:

1: A Space Adventures trip to the ISS for roughly a couple of weeks.
2: A Space Adventures trip around the Moon and back (Figure 8, free return) with that hair-raising re-entry!
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline high road

• Europe
  • Liked: 837
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #43 on: 10/17/2016 02:07 pm »
Add a 'space adventures explore the moon in a variety of transportation mods' (on foot, lunar buggy, comfortable pressurized rover) and the ability to enjoy the scenery along the way to and from the moon, and all my desires are covered.

Wether that's on the moon or Mars doesn't matter to me, as long as the total trip time is reasonable. No two and a half years shenanigans.

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 966
« Reply #44 on: 10/18/2016 06:16 am »
I remarried a few years ago after a long time single, up until that point I would have happily gone on a one-way mission to further human exploration. This might sound suicidal, but remember that for many centuries travel on trips of exploration was often one-way.
« Last Edit: 10/18/2016 06:17 am by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Online CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
« Reply #45 on: 11/01/2016 06:24 pm »
Some days this proposition is more compelling than others... ::)

Offline PDZiemer

« Reply #46 on: 11/08/2016 05:38 pm »
Once today's election results come out here in the US, the list of interested parties wanting to escape the planet and go to Mars will likely increase.  No matter the outcome, one group or the other will be ready to throw their hands up in disgust and go for a brand new start.  Personally I am planning on staying here and toughing it out and making what little difference I can!

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #47 on: 11/20/2016 06:29 pm »
The % of those going to Mars from the survey show that 46% will go as tourists. So if 1000 go to Mars every synod then 460 will be going to visit. This means that a very large tourist industry could be established on Mars pulling in significant revenue from Earth sources.

Although the POLL shows a high visitor number % I do not think the visitor % will be allowed to go over ~20%. Some of that is that the return trip is capable of only 25% of the outward trip.

But this also gives a big positive on tourist industry for other destinations like cis-Luanr orbits and Lunar surface.

Another item is that of people answering the POLL a possible 80 would go to stay and more than 20 that would go to visit. That's enough to fill fill half the capability of ITS.

The final item is that there is 151 positive responses for a total membership of 33879 members for a 0.45% response. For just the US alone that gives an upper bound for those that possible would go of 1.34 million people. Something to think about. The real number will obviously be lower than that but even if it is 1/100th of that that is still 13K people. At $200K each that is $2.6B.

As more go more will want to go.
« Last Edit: 11/20/2016 06:30 pm by oldAtlas_Eguy »

Offline Hauerg

• Berndorf, Austria
  • Liked: 520
  • Likes Given: 2574
« Reply #48 on: 11/20/2016 06:47 pm »
I would not draw to many conclusion considering the sample is:
small & only the small part that took the poll of that small part of the space fans that is that forum here.

Online CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
« Reply #49 on: 11/21/2016 01:06 pm »
I would not draw to many conclusion considering the sample is:
small & only the small part that took the poll of that small part of the space fans that is that forum here.

18,300 people applied this year alone to be astronauts with NASA (including me). Although the hurdle was low to apply, and most would not qualify, this represents an interest in going to space. I am not concerned that there will be a lack of desire to go to Mars or on any other trip.

Will there be enough qualified candidates? I don't know.
Will there be enough candidates with the required resources ($$)?  Again that remains to be seen.
 But interested people?
    Plenty.
« Last Edit: 11/21/2016 01:07 pm by CraigLieb »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography