Author Topic: Who should be the next NASA Administrator?  (Read 310922 times)

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
Re: Who should be the next NASA Administrator?
« Reply #320 on: 06/08/2017 06:21 pm »
 I'm sticking with Steve Squyres or Frank Culbertson.

Offline incoming

• washington, DC
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #321 on: 06/13/2017 06:12 pm »

So probably any reasonable person to be the NASA Administrator will be welcome, and if it is Bridenstine he will likely be acceptable to all concerned.

How do you figure?

Despite the fact that he's taken a remarkably different tone since going all in on getting the nod for NASA administrator, I'd imagine there are quite a few who would find such rhetoric over climate change science objectionable for a NASA administrator:

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #322 on: 06/14/2017 11:35 pm »
This Senate majority wouldn't object to the NASA Administrator being a climate change 'denier.'  He'll get much more grief from Senators who are pro-SLS/Orion -- and see any support of commercial space as a threat to their pet project.  Word is that the Alabama Congressional delegation is holding up the nomination; IMO, probably holding out a candidate of their choosing.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Online butters

• Liked: 1692
  • Likes Given: 597
« Reply #323 on: 06/15/2017 01:21 am »
Due to Jeff Sessions leaving the Senate to become Attorney General, Governor Robert Bentley (who has since resigned and pled guilty to ethics violations after the state legislature moved to impeach him) appointed Luther Strange to the US Senate. Strange, a mainline Republican heavily supported by party leadership, is now running in a special election in which he faces House Freedom Caucus flamethrower Mo Brooks in the Republican primary on August 15.

With the Republican majority in the Senate being as slim and fickle as it is, the last thing they want is for Mo Brooks to be elected the new junior Senator from Alabama, joining like-minded Senators Rand Paul and Mike Lee to vote against the rest of the caucus on several key issues. The outcome of this special election primary is critical.

I wouldn't be surprised to see no movement on NASA Administrator until after the primary. They don't want this nomination to become a campaign issue in a state where voters really do care more than most about NASA policy.

Offline incoming

• washington, DC
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #324 on: 06/16/2017 06:17 pm »
This Senate majority wouldn't object to the NASA Administrator being a climate change 'denier.'  He'll get much more grief from Senators who are pro-SLS/Orion -- and see any support of commercial space as a threat to their pet project.  Word is that the Alabama Congressional delegation is holding up the nomination; IMO, probably holding out a candidate of their choosing.

I'm not suggesting the republican majority would object over the climate stuff.  But clearly a lot of Dems would so it's hard to see him getting much (any?) support from the minority side.  Then if you pair that with the fact that he may be on shaky ground with some of the Republicans as well, I just think it seems possible that he wouldn't be as much of a shoe-in as some have thought.

Offline AncientU

« Reply #325 on: 06/19/2017 05:49 pm »
Mike Pence had his meeting about space last week. Apparently they now have a name for their #NASA Administrator nominee. Tick tock.

https://twitter.com/NASAWatch/status/876803667785113600

Maybe the name we thought they had two months ago has been changed.
« Last Edit: 06/19/2017 05:52 pm by AncientU »

Offline Endeavour_01

• Hazards & Risk Analyst in SC, USA
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #326 on: 06/30/2017 08:18 pm »
We should hear pretty soon who the new admin will be now that the President has signed the executive order re-establishing the National Space Council.

U.S. President Donald Trump signed a long-awaited executive order June 30 re-establishing the National Space Council.

http://spacenews.com/breaking-president-trump-reestablishes-national-space-council/
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starship/SH, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #327 on: 07/10/2017 03:33 am »
From an article on phys.org about President Trump's plans for NASA.

the US space agency set a dubious record on the Fourth of July: the longest span of time that a newly elected president has gone without naming a new NASA chief.

The previous record was a 164-day stretch in 1971 under President Richard Nixon.

https://phys.org/news/2017-07-liftoff-trump-bold-space.html
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starship/SH, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Online butters

• Liked: 1692
  • Likes Given: 597
« Reply #328 on: 07/23/2017 07:57 pm »
Pendulum appears to be swinging toward Robert Lightfoot staying on as NASA Administrator. I suppose the Kremlinology would be that this is good news for Marshall Space Flight Center and the traditional contractors.

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11927
« Reply #329 on: 07/23/2017 08:16 pm »
From an article on phys.org about President Trump's plans for NASA.

the US space agency set a dubious record on the Fourth of July: the longest span of time that a newly elected president has gone without naming a new NASA chief.

The previous record was a 164-day stretch in 1971 under President Richard Nixon.

https://phys.org/news/2017-07-liftoff-trump-bold-space.html

So the answer to the question "Does President Trump think space is a priority?" seems to be "No" as of today, at least where NASA is concerned.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81637
  • Likes Given: 36932
« Reply #330 on: 07/25/2017 06:07 am »
Bridenstine hasn't heard from the White House about NASA administrator for several months:

Jim Bridenstine tells me he still hasn't heard from the White House on this yet. (First tweet [below] was from May)
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/889638542737121280

I asked Jim Bridenstine when Trump is going to get around to making him NASA administrator. He hasn't heard from them in a month. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/864707718740942848

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #331 on: 07/25/2017 05:27 pm »
Seems to be a pattern here:

If rumors I'm hearing about NASA leadership are true, my advice is to come to peace with the SLS.

https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/889887983863779334

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #332 on: 08/06/2017 06:55 am »
Eric Berger believes new deputy admin chosen:

Prediction I feel pretty confident in: If you like the SLS rocket, you'll love NASA's new deputy administrator.
https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/893944093801418756

I had to google the person
https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/894030757525684224

I don't know. This person is not directly tied to Orion like SLS.
https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/893956217906880512

Offline AncientU

« Reply #333 on: 08/06/2017 10:55 pm »
Sounding more like the Alabama (sorry, need to stop here for a second and just say that I have to use stupid words to get my point across. I know that means I must have a weak argument, but that's why I use bad words). has their way...

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #334 on: 08/09/2017 02:38 am »
Sounding more like the Alabama (sorry, need to stop here for a second and just say that I have to use stupid words to get my point across. I know that means I must have a weak argument, but that's why I use bad words). has their way...

Like politicians from California are as pure as the wind driven snow.  ::) I am no fan of Shelby et. al but most politicians are the same no matter where you go.

I grew up in the Heart of Dixie and there are a lot of good people who work in aerospace (and many other fields) in my home state. There is a reason Blue Origin is building the BE-4 in Alabama and no, it isn't just politics. 

Eric Berger believes new deputy admin chosen:

Edited to add: Deputy Admin has apparently been chosen, I wonder if Trump will nominate Lightfoot as permanent admin and announce both positions at once. Would save him some time on confirmation since Lightfoot isn't a controversial candidate.
« Last Edit: 08/09/2017 02:42 am by Endeavour_01 »

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #335 on: 08/09/2017 02:46 am »
I seriously doubt Lightfoot is interested. He has a permanent job at NASA. He doesn't want to leave in 4 years or 8 years. I don't know about Lightfoot but I know Gerst said that he has no interest whatsoever in that job.

Offline Endeavour_01

« Reply #336 on: 08/09/2017 02:54 am »
Good point. I doubt that Lightfoot actually wants the job but what will he say if the President asks him to take the top job? Hard to say. Depends on how hard the President leans on him.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #337 on: 08/10/2017 03:46 am »
Two sources say NASA administrator and deputy have been informed of pending nomination. Will be publicly named during a ceremony next month.
https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/895395553206575104

If the two people whose names I've heard are the nominees, they have the potential to effectively lead NASA, imo. As much as anyone can.
https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/895396984751837184

Edit to add:

not a new era.
https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/895401581092507648
« Last Edit: 08/10/2017 03:50 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline AncientU

« Reply #338 on: 08/10/2017 03:46 pm »
Here is the discussion about new era...

So...% of going to moon? % Commercial vs Gov't, Cost+ vs Fixed Price, Robotic vs Human? Alabama vs...everyone else? Cmon Eric, New Era? or..

https://twitter.com/StormSurgeMedia/status/895401485256843264

not a new era.

Commercially "friendly/supportive"at least so "others" can help issue in a new era?

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
« Reply #339 on: 08/15/2017 07:52 pm »
 NASAWATCH seems to be saying it's Mr. Bridenstine--good luck to him, he will have a lot to deal with to unify everybody and take NASA's next steps.
« Last Edit: 08/15/2017 07:55 pm by eric z »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography