Author Topic: Who should be the next NASA Administrator?  (Read 63551 times)

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 178
  • Likes Given: 135
Re: Who should be the next NASA Administrator?
« Reply #320 on: 06/08/2017 02:29 PM »
I would not mind seeing Mae Jemison at the helm. She has great credentials, and her work with 100 Year Starship shows she's still thinking far ahead. NASA needs that kind of vision. Plus she was on Star Trek.
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Offline eric z

• Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 198
« Reply #321 on: 06/08/2017 06:21 PM »
 I'm sticking with Steve Squyres or Frank Culbertson.

Offline incoming

• washington, DC
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #322 on: 06/13/2017 06:12 PM »

So probably any reasonable person to be the NASA Administrator will be welcome, and if it is Bridenstine he will likely be acceptable to all concerned.

How do you figure?

Despite the fact that he's taken a remarkably different tone since going all in on getting the nod for NASA administrator, I'd imagine there are quite a few who would find such rhetoric over climate change science objectionable for a NASA administrator:

Online AncientU

• Liked: 2439
  • Likes Given: 3396
« Reply #323 on: 06/14/2017 11:35 PM »
This Senate majority wouldn't object to the NASA Administrator being a climate change 'denier.'  He'll get much more grief from Senators who are pro-SLS/Orion -- and see any support of commercial space as a threat to their pet project.  Word is that the Alabama Congressional delegation is holding up the nomination; IMO, probably holding out a candidate of their choosing.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Online butters

• Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #324 on: 06/15/2017 01:21 AM »
Due to Jeff Sessions leaving the Senate to become Attorney General, Governor Robert Bentley (who has since resigned and pled guilty to ethics violations after the state legislature moved to impeach him) appointed Luther Strange to the US Senate. Strange, a mainline Republican heavily supported by party leadership, is now running in a special election in which he faces House Freedom Caucus flamethrower Mo Brooks in the Republican primary on August 15.

With the Republican majority in the Senate being as slim and fickle as it is, the last thing they want is for Mo Brooks to be elected the new junior Senator from Alabama, joining like-minded Senators Rand Paul and Mike Lee to vote against the rest of the caucus on several key issues. The outcome of this special election primary is critical.

I wouldn't be surprised to see no movement on NASA Administrator until after the primary. They don't want this nomination to become a campaign issue in a state where voters really do care more than most about NASA policy.

Offline incoming

• washington, DC
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #325 on: 06/16/2017 06:17 PM »
This Senate majority wouldn't object to the NASA Administrator being a climate change 'denier.'  He'll get much more grief from Senators who are pro-SLS/Orion -- and see any support of commercial space as a threat to their pet project.  Word is that the Alabama Congressional delegation is holding up the nomination; IMO, probably holding out a candidate of their choosing.

I'm not suggesting the republican majority would object over the climate stuff.  But clearly a lot of Dems would so it's hard to see him getting much (any?) support from the minority side.  Then if you pair that with the fact that he may be on shaky ground with some of the Republicans as well, I just think it seems possible that he wouldn't be as much of a shoe-in as some have thought.

Online AncientU

• Liked: 2439
  • Likes Given: 3396
« Reply #326 on: 06/19/2017 05:49 PM »
Mike Pence had his meeting about space last week. Apparently they now have a name for their #NASA Administrator nominee. Tick tock.

https://twitter.com/NASAWatch/status/876803667785113600

Maybe the name we thought they had two months ago has been changed.
« Last Edit: 06/19/2017 05:52 PM by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Tags: