Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375361 times)

Offline Frandolf

• Germany
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 110
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #180 on: 09/16/2013 07:06 am »
Another small update:

- slight font size bump on several areas of the forum
- some more alignment "errors" fixed

blocks/stars explanation: (we might go back to the stars images from the old forum)

Administrator = 5 red blocks/stars
Moderators = 5 green blocks/stars

Post count based groups:

Group Name:    Stars:       Posts Needed:
Member                             0
Member                             1
Full Member       *              100
Full Member       **            200
Full Member       ***          300
Full Member       ****        400
Senior Member  *****      2000
Since that I have the strange effect on the unread posts page that the name of the poster is more prominent than the title (see attached jpg)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #181 on: 09/17/2013 02:42 am »
Another small update:

Since that I have the strange effect on the unread posts page that the name of the poster is more prominent than the title (see attached jpg)

I just notice that today myself, been away a few days.  The "ByLine" has a slightly larger font drowning out the First line with the article title.  Now all I see are contributor names standing out making it difficult to find the article.

I also wish that the Number of views/replies is either right of left justified, as it just look messy having it centered.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline cosmicvoid

• Seattle 'ish
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #182 on: 09/17/2013 06:26 am »
I don't know if this is new, but I just noticed it: what is the difference in the topic selection set between the "Unread Topics" item in the forum menu bar, and the "All Unread Topics" button at the bottom of the "Unread Topics" list.  It seems the first is just a few pages, the 2nd is 100's of pages.

I'm guessing the number of posting stars/blocks used to be something like:
1 - a post
2 - 32 posts
3 - 128 posts
4 - 512 posts
5 - 1024 posts
I guess now I'm back to none, and for some reason my membership isn't "full"  :'( .  I feel insulted.  What is the significance of a "full member"?  Is there a partial membership?

I'll +1 on L2 members having a different name color.

« Last Edit: 09/17/2013 06:32 am by cosmicvoid »
Infiinity or bust.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2430
  • Likes Given: 13605
« Reply #183 on: 09/17/2013 06:43 am »
I'm generally OK with the new layout and what I didn't like about the old setup is still here anyway.

But what is up with the search function?

I looked for Jon Goffs new thread on the DARPA XS-1 spaceplane concept on the home page search and got nothing. I had to log in to get it,
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline rickl

• Pennsylvania, USA
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #184 on: 09/17/2013 06:57 am »
What is the significance of a "full member"?  Is there a partial membership?

I'll +1 on L2 members having a different name color.

Yeah, I don't get the "full member" thing.  Maybe just have "member" and "L2 member".

My idea was to give L2 members a different color of squares/stars, but nobody seconded that.  I still think it's a good idea, and it might gently prod people to join L2.  Someone else came up with the idea of having the names be a different color on L2 threads, which would be another way of distinguishing L2 threads from the public ones.  I like that too. 
The Space Age is just starting to get interesting.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #185 on: 09/17/2013 08:05 am »
Some points:

- Some L2 people don't want to be identified as such, so it won't be visible on the profile.

- Guests can't search, get an account, login and search all you want. (as guest, it puts extra load on the server and its too easy to abuse)

- member and full member names are just linked to the amount of posts you make, as you can see in the overview posted before:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32793.msg1097067#msg1097067
« Last Edit: 09/17/2013 08:09 am by Jester »

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #186 on: 09/17/2013 05:22 pm »
Couple of problems, both with backwards compatibility:

1. It's seldom appropriate, but there are times where I'll post an 'empty' message -- if a picture is worth a few words, that ought to count (and it used to with the old site).

2. I can attach one file to a message, but not more than one at a time.  Sometimes this is handy and the old site allowed it.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #187 on: 09/17/2013 06:45 pm »
Couple of problems, both with backwards compatibility:

1. It's seldom appropriate, but there are times where I'll post an 'empty' message -- if a picture is worth a few words, that ought to count (and it used to with the old site).

2. I can attach one file to a message, but not more than one at a time.  Sometimes this is handy and the old site allowed it.

1. Use a dot(.) for now, saves you typing ;-) (until I find where to patch the software to allow this)
2. I just did a test with 2 attachment in 1 go, no issue...

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #188 on: 09/17/2013 07:49 pm »
- Some L2 people don't want to be identified as such, so it won't be visible on the profile.

Would it be possible to have an option to allow yourself to be identified as L2 members, but it is defaulted as off?  That way, nobody has to know, you only have the option to do it.  That way, for whatever reason, you don't have to show off as L2, but you can show you support the site if you want?

Just thinking of alternatives to help.

Offline psloss

« Reply #189 on: 09/17/2013 11:21 pm »
1. Use a dot(.) for now, saves you typing ;-) (until I find where to patch the software to allow this)
Actually, they may be related -- I was attaching pictures to an 'empty' post and it was taking me to a "start new topic' page.  Which is, well, multiple things, but definitely strange.

I may have time (and content) to test this tomorrow, but not sure.

Offline psloss

« Reply #190 on: 09/18/2013 10:20 am »
One other thing about this: a single dot can be interpreted as an online moment of silence...given that my snarky text has been moderated to a moment of silence, that'll probably need to be moderated again, especially given the context is Orbital's first Cygnus flight.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #191 on: 09/18/2013 10:59 am »
One other thing about this: a single dot can be interpreted as an online moment of silence...given that my snarky text has been moderated to a moment of silence, that'll probably need to be moderated again, especially given the context is Orbital's first Cygnus flight.

I hear you, just the word image for the time being, I need time to create a patch and find the location in the software to patch, currently we have 2 spacecraft in testing so i'm limited on time, the NSF webmaster can have a look once he is back from holiday, if not, we'll have to wait i'm afraid.

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #192 on: 09/18/2013 11:18 am »
Would it be possible to have an option to allow yourself to be identified as L2 members, but it is defaulted as off?

Already various places in the forum profile (location, signature etc.) where you can mention L2 membership if you want, no?
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline kcrick

• Connecticut
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 2630
« Reply #193 on: 09/18/2013 12:32 pm »

I noticed that when listing threads, that it displays who started the thread. Has any thought been given to also give the date the thread was started? While skimming over the threads it's hard to tell if it's a new thread or an older one. You only have the number of replies the thread has as an indication.

Just a thought.

So far, the forum looks pretty good to me and I'm getting used to it.
Kevin

Offline psloss

« Reply #194 on: 09/18/2013 09:36 pm »
Actually, they may be related -- I was attaching pictures to an 'empty' post and it was taking me to a "start new topic' page.  Which is, well, multiple things, but definitely strange.

Update: nope, still the same problem with text in a new post.  Two attachments with a new, 'non-empty' post redirects me to "Start New Topic"; one attachment behaves as expected.  I can then belatedly edit the new post to add the second attachment.

Edit: I also cannot attach two files when modifying an existing post, I also end up in 'Start New Topic'.
« Last Edit: 09/18/2013 09:44 pm by psloss »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #195 on: 09/18/2013 10:46 pm »
Sounds unique as no one else has reported that problem.

That's the problem with unique issues - we can't change anything for fear of solving something for one person and creating a problem for thousands of others who were previously issue-free.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #196 on: 09/19/2013 05:56 am »

Update: nope, still the same problem with text in a new post.  Two attachments with a new, 'non-empty' post redirects me to "Start New Topic"; one attachment behaves as expected.  I can then belatedly edit the new post to add the second attachment.

Edit: I also cannot attach two files when modifying an existing post, I also end up in 'Start New Topic'.

I have the same problem, reported here over a week ago:

Are there any other people who have problems with replying to posts and attaching more than one image in each post? It seems that when doing this the reply was not posted and I was lead to the starting-a-new-thread page.  ???

Doesn't look like a unique situation to me. Maybe it's a Firefox problem?
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline thomson

• Gdansk, PL
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #197 on: 09/19/2013 08:15 am »
Definitely +1 on this. When I look at the page of unread posts, the authors are more visible than the topics. When I (hopefully most of us) look at the list of discussions, the more important thing is what matter is discussed, not who started it.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #198 on: 09/19/2013 10:29 am »
Definitely +1 on this. When I look at the page of unread posts, the authors are more visible than the topics. When I (hopefully most of us) look at the list of discussions, the more important thing is what matter is discussed, not who started it.

Compromise, bumped down one small step, but not too small or people will complain (as they have done before) about it being too small.

Offline Frandolf

• Germany
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #199 on: 09/19/2013 11:37 am »
It's fine for me now  8)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island