Author Topic: MISSION FAILURE: Progress M-27M launch – Soyuz-2-1A - April 28, 2015  (Read 496651 times)

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 1826
I think the best answer comes from Jonathan McDowell:

I am scoring the launch as 0.30 success (orbit reached but fatal
payload separation problem).

Heh. I'm scoring Orb-4 0.072 success (Liftoff accomplished, but some problems later). Partial failure. A for effort. At least they tried.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8267
I think the best answer comes from Jonathan McDowell:

Progress M-27 was launched on Apr 28; however, the Soyuz-2-1a third
stage did not shut down correctly and damaged the spacecraft during
separation. 44 debris objects were tracked, 20 of them being cataloged
(all  reentered by May 7). Limited telemetry was obtained from the
Progress, but Russian mission control was unable to control the
spacecraft, which was found to be spinning. The damaged spacecraft
reentered over the South Pacific off the SW coast of Chile at 0220 UTC
May 8. I am scoring the launch as 0.30 success (orbit reached but fatal
payload separation problem).
According to Anatoly Zak's site:
On June 1, 2015, Roskosmos published a press-release entitled "Cause of the Failure Determined." It went as following:

...After a thorough analysis of the failed launch and the completion of full-scale experiments, members of the commission came to the following conclusion:

The damage to the ship during its abnormal separation from the third stage of the Soyuz-2-1a launch vehicle resulted from a particular property of the joint use of the cargo spacecraft and the launch vehicle. This design property was related to frequency and dynamic characteristics of joint vehicles.

This design property was not fully accounted for during the development of the rocket and spacecraft complex.

Limitations on further flights of the Soyuz-2-1a rocket with other spacecraft had not been found.

I'm reading that as an interface design problem. In that sense, I would say that the payload damaged the rocket and not the other way around. I guess the true question is if the payload interface should be considered LV or S/C?
« Last Edit: 06/09/2015 03:58 pm by baldusi »

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 1826
I guess the true question is if the payload interface should be considered LV or S/C?

I don't see how that matters. It's part of the whole stack, which was faulty. The launch was ill-prepeared, improperly analyzed and resulted in launch failure.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8530
  • Likes Given: 1351
Launch vehicle failure.  A 0.000 success.  :)

A launch vehicle success results when a launch vehicle inserts a payload into its planned orbit without damaging the payload.  This launch vehicle achieved neither result.

- Ed Kyle

Offline aga

• Per aspera ad astra
  • Germany
  • Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 1450
I guess the true question is if the payload interface should be considered LV or S/C?
I don't see how that matters. It's part of the whole stack, which was faulty. The launch was ill-prepeared, improperly analyzed and resulted in launch failure.

it matters for people who clasify launch vehicle success rates...
if it is considered S/C then from the PoV of LV the launch was successful and only S/C failed - the same goes for launches where LV puts the sat in orbit but the sat does not work, does not communicate, etc - eg. phobos grunt, or the light sail was close - that is not considered as a failure of the LV, just (sorry for the word, but here it is somehow appropriate) a failed mission... and then it is counted in the LV stats as a successful launch
« Last Edit: 06/09/2015 05:31 pm by aga »

Offline wronkiew

• 34.502327, -116.971697
  • Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 125
A new schedule for Soyuz and Progress:
1. 3 июля: ТГК «Прогресс М-28М» (РН «Союз–У»);
2. 23-25 июля: ТПК «Союз ТМА-17М» (РН «Союз–ФГ»; дата будет определена позднее в связи с коррекцией обриты МКС, состоявшейся 8 июня);
3. 1 сентября: ТПК «Союз ТМА-18М» (РН «Союз–ФГ»);
4. 21 сентября: ТГК «Прогресс М-29М» (РН «Союз–У»);
5. 21 ноября: – первый запуск модернизированного космического «грузовика» ТГК «Прогресс-МС» (РН «Союз 2.1а»);
6. 15 декабря: ТПК «Союз ТМА-19М» (РН «Союз–ФГ»).
http://www.roscosmos.ru/21529/

Applying the magic decoder ring:

1. 3 July: ТГК «Progress М-28М» (РН «Soyuz–U»);
2. 23-25 July: ТПК «Soyuz ТМА-17М» (РН «Soyuz–FG»; date to be determined due to ISS orbit correction on 8 June);
3. 1 September: ТПК «Soyuz ТМА-18М» (РН «Soyuz–FG»);
4. 21 September: ТГК «Progress М-29М» (РН «Soyuz–U»);
5. 21 November: – first flight of the modernized cargo vehicle ТГК «Progress-МС» (РН «Soyuz 2.1а»);
6. 15 December: ТПК «Soyuz ТМА-19М» (РН «Soyuz–FG»).

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
Since the SpaceX forums are swarming with "IDA payload integration did it" theories for the SpaceX CRS-7 failure, I think it may be worthwhile reflecting again on the M-27M failure, which was also apparently caused by a payload integration failure.

Do we have any additional information on M-27M?  As I recall it, the final verdict was that there was an unexpected resonance between Progress and the Soyuz-2, not present for Soyuz-U/FG.  Did this resonance then cause a third stage valve/pump failure, or am I misremembering that?

EDIT: I was misremembering!  The third stage failure was Proton-M/Briz-M/MexSat-1.  So we have any details other than "bad integration"?
« Last Edit: 07/01/2015 04:10 pm by cscott »

Online jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1278
  • Likes Given: 773

A launch vehicle success results when a launch vehicle inserts a payload into its planned orbit without damaging the payload.  This launch vehicle achieved neither result.

- Ed Kyle

I have scored it 0.30 success in my arcane system (correct orbit reached but payload separation unsuccessful/damaging)

It is definitely a launch vehicle failure in my opinion - clean payload separation is part of the LV responsibility, and payload-LV bad interaction is part of what the LV provider should check for prior to launch.

-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 939
  • Likes Given: 172

- Ed Kyle

I have scored it 0.30 success in my arcane system (correct orbit reached but payload separation unsuccessful/damaging)

It is definitely a launch vehicle failure in my opinion - clean payload separation is part of the LV responsibility, and payload-LV bad interaction is part of what the LV provider should check for prior to launch.

I also consider it a launch vehicle failure.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 698
  • Likes Given: 723
So, SpaceX suffered an upper stage failure due to a structural fault in a part that had flown many times before.

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 128
So, SpaceX suffered an upper stage failure due to a structural fault in a part that had flown many times before.
Which is another way of saying "sh*t happened", and this failure is yet another proof that no one (not even Elon Musk) is immune to occasional failures. Beyond that it doesn't mean much.

Offline eeergo

I found information I had never read before about the cause of the Progress M-27M in this report of the newly launched Progress MS-1 in SpaceFlight101:

http://spaceflight101.com/successful-launch-of-first-progress-ms/

Apparently, the redesign of the Block I tanks led to the hammering effects of the propellants rushing towards the front of the stage at RD-0110 shutdown to exceed the allowable limits because of resonance coupling with the stack. This lead to a premature uncommanded Progress separation and a loss of structural integrity of the Block I tanks (stage blew up), which damaged the Service Module. The corrective action was a delay of 0.34s introduced in the shutdown sequence to avoid the resonant condition. More details on the report.
-DaviD-

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
Progress M-25M flew on Soyuz 2.1a rocket also. Was it just good luck this didn't happen then?
Apparently, yes.  From the new article eeergo refers to: Progress MS Spacecraft begins Debut Mission to ISS with successful Launch atop Soyuz Rocket
Progress M-25M that had an uneventful separation sequence was just lucky as frequency dynamics may not have been tuned right to the natural resonant frequency, allowing the craft to avoid a disaster at separation.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
I found this interesting; Wayne Hale also refers to this failure in his blog post of October 5, 2015: How to Avoid Train Wrecks
[It] is well known that [with] a new heavy payload on the top of a new and spindly rocket (they are all spindly) it is imperative that the springy interaction be analyzed. If you don’t do that, well, you run the risk of failure like 59P last April.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
A break down of some of the costs involved:-

№ 351-8006/12 от 19.12.2012 (исполнитель ПАО «РКК «Энергия» им. С.П. Королева» (далее - РКК «Энергия»)):
- этап № 36 (разработка проектной, рабочей, конструкторской и эксплуатационной документации для создания ракетно-космического комплекса с транспортным пилотируемым кораблем «Союз» и ТГК «Прогресс» на основе комплекса PH «Союз-2» этапа 1а: цена этапа 138 991 900 руб.);
№ 351-8634/11 от 24.08.2011(исполнитель РКК «Энергия»):
- этап № 69 (изготовление и сборка отсеков, сборка, проверка на контрольно-испытательной станции и сдача корабля «Прогресс МС»; цена этапа 945 612 300 руб.);
- этап № 70 (изготовление и поставка доставляемого оборудования для корабля «Прогресс МС»; цена этапа 75 512 500 руб.);
- этап № 71 (подготовка к запуску корабля «Прогресс МС» и участие в пуске ракеты космического назначения цена этапа 120 468 200 руб.);
№ 353-1193/12 от 11.09.2012 (исполнитель АО «РКЦ «Прогресс»):
- этап № 2 (изготовление и поставка PH «Союз-2-1а» для запуска космического аппарата «Прогресс-М»; цена этапа 939 502 000 руб.);
№ 353-В221/12 от 16.08.2012 (исполнитель АО «РКЦ «Прогресс»):
- этап № 28 (изготовление головного обтекателя; цена этапа 51 767 000 руб.);
№ 353-С071/14/12 от 26.12.2013 (исполнитель АО «РКЦ «Прогресс»):
- этап № 2 (подготовка к транспортировке, транспортировка, сопровождение PH «Союз-2-1а» с СЗБ для запуска космического аппарата «Прогресс-М» в эксплуатирующую организацию и возврат спецтранспорта на предприятие; цена этапа 17 125 000 руб.);
№ 924-8622/13/419 от 16.12.2013 (исполнитель ФГУП «ЦЭНКИ»):
- этап № 1.8 (летные испытания PH с космическим кораблем «Прогресс-М» по программе МКС; цена этапа 412 255 900 руб.);
№ 924-В204/14 от 14.05.2014 (исполнитель ФГУП «ЦЭНКИ»):
- этап № 14 (проведение работ в обеспечение летных испытаний ракеты космического назначения по программе полета МКС 2015 г.; цена этапа 27 384 700 руб.);
Общая стоимость затрат составила 2 728 619 500 руб.
https://sudact.ru/arbitral/doc/V5SLSceKAoNd/

Thats $58 million?

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 609
Since these works were performed in 2012-2013, so I would use Ruble to Dollar coefficients from that period - something like 31 (±1):
2 728 619 500 Rub / 31 = $ 88.0 M

Offline Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
Since these works were performed in 2012-2013, so I would use Ruble to Dollar coefficients from that period - something like 31 (±1):
2 728 619 500 Rub / 31 = $ 88.0 M

There are these documents signed by the customer at conclusion of each stage of a contract. Not sure of the correct wording. That is the date I used to find exchange rate.

№ 351-8006/12
- этап № 36 - accepted by customer 18.12.2015 - exchange rate 73·60 - $1,888,572
№ 351-8634/11
- этап № 69 - accepted by customer 24.04.2015 - exchange rate 51·65 - $18,307,619
- этап № 70 - accepted by customer 07.08.2015 - exchange rate 64·28 - $1,174,802
- этап № 71 - accepted by customer 19.08.2015 - exchange rate 64·28 - $1,874,210
№ 353-1193/12
- этап № 2 - accepted by customer 09.07.2014 - exchange rate 35·68 - $26,327,792
№ 924-8622/13/419             
- этап № 1.8 - accepted by customer 20.07.2015 - exchange rate 61·74 - $6,677,106
« Last Edit: 06/01/2019 07:24 pm by Stan Black »

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 609
...these documents signed by the customer at conclusion of each stage of a contract.

- well, I'm not sure this is correct method.
I would take exchange rate at the signing date, because this is when the price was set.
And at that time (in the beginning) they could not predict the exchange rate at the end.

But - this is far from my field, I would just ask accounting people and take their word :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography