Author Topic: Spaceflight Magazine  (Read 205045 times)

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7827
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Spaceflight Magazine
« Reply #40 on: 08/05/2011 10:26 pm »
Thanks for the post. I don't have anything in the September issue, but will probably have at least one article in the October issue. It's on the Edwards AFB rocket test stands and was discussed in another thread here a few months ago.

This article, in the new issue, caught my eye:

New space movies
Spaceflight’s Tony Quine and Chinese film maker Xu Weilong go behind the scenes for an inside look at two new space movie dramas filmed in China and Russia released this summer. Both films attempt to bring a new degree of realism to the subject by combining attention to detail with the latest movie technology

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 08/05/2011 10:27 pm »
And she is easy on the eyes too.

Offline LindemHerz

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: 08/06/2011 02:54 am »
The name is Li Niu, if you wanna look her up. The movie is called "Feitian" (Flying), though its official English name is "Shenzhou 11."
Trailer here:
v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjgxMjQ0MTk2.html
and a video for the theme song with more scenes from the movie here: v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjc5NzY3NzQ4.html

Now, does anybody know if there is anywhere I can buy some of the back issues of Spaceflight without having to import them from the UK to California? Not that I would mind, but I was hoping to get them somewhat faster. Amazon.com apparently doesn't even know they exist.

P.S.: Does anybody know how can I post the links without actually embedding the video players to the post? No formatting but erasing the http:// from the addresses prevented the movies from appearing
« Last Edit: 08/06/2011 03:00 am by LindemHerz »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #43 on: 08/06/2011 03:23 am »
Thanks for the post. I don't have anything in the September issue, but will probably have at least one article in the October issue. It's on the Edwards AFB rocket test stands and was discussed in another thread here a few months ago.

This article, in the new issue, caught my eye:

New space movies
Spaceflight’s Tony Quine and Chinese film maker Xu Weilong go behind the scenes for an inside look at two new space movie dramas filmed in China and Russia released this summer. Both films attempt to bring a new degree of realism to the subject by combining attention to detail with the latest movie technology

Looking forward to reading Tony's interview.

Here's one of the actresses he interviewed - Marie de Villepin - who stars in the movie 'Baikonur' - wowzers:
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 08/06/2011 01:01 pm »
Now, does anybody know if there is anywhere I can buy some of the back issues of Spaceflight without having to import them from the UK to California? Not that I would mind, but I was hoping to get them somewhat faster. Amazon.com apparently doesn't even know they exist.

Alas, I know of no US distributor.  Back issues also very rarely show up on eBay. I suspect that this is for two reasons: the magazine has a small print run, and a lot of people I know tend to treat Spaceflight as a keeper--they keep their back issues for reference, etc.

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #45 on: 08/07/2011 10:19 pm »
The name is Li Niu, if you wanna look her up. The movie is called "Feitian" (Flying), though its official English name is "Shenzhou 11."

Actually, her name is Zhang Xiaofei. Her character is Major Zhou Xiaosu.

The other female taikonaut, Major Xue Yimeng who doesn't appear in the magazine article, is played by Wang Jing.

« Last Edit: 08/07/2011 10:21 pm by tonyq »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #46 on: 09/03/2011 03:39 pm »
Oct 2011 issue (on sale from 10 Sept 2011)

http://www.spaceflightmagazine.com/pages/latest-issue.html
« Last Edit: 09/03/2011 03:40 pm by jacqmans »
Jacques :-)

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: 09/03/2011 06:25 pm »
"Silenced thunder
Dwayne Day revisits Edwards Air Force Base in the Mojave Desert which in the 1950s and 60s was a key test site for rocket engines as well as pilots’ nirvana for the testing of advanced aircraft."

If you dig around on this site you'll see the genesis of this article. I posted a bunch of things about Edwards rocket propulsion lab and then wrote a short article about the facility.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #48 on: 09/04/2011 08:48 am »
Editor of Spaceflight

Clive Simpson, who has acted as Editor for Spaceflight for the past decade, has announced his intention of stepping down from the post at the end of 2011. The Society is therefore looking for a new editor. Anyone interested should in the first interest contact the Executive Secretary for details, and should submit an application with a description of how they see Spaceflight developing by noon on Monday 19 September 2011.

Regards

Suszann Parry
Executive Secretary
The British Interplanetary Society
27/29 South Lambeth Road
London SW8 1SZ
Tel: 0207 735 3160
Fax: 0207 587 5118
Jacques :-)

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: 10/23/2011 06:05 pm »
Just received the November issue (not listed on the website yet). It has a futuristic starship on the cover and an article about that inside.

http://www.spaceflightmagazine.com/pages/latest-issue.html

I have two articles in the November issue: one on the GAMBIT/HEXAGON declassification, and one on Russia's Luna-Glob proposal. Both are relatively short articles.
« Last Edit: 10/23/2011 06:05 pm by Blackstar »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #50 on: 11/03/2011 11:15 pm »
"Silenced thunder
Dwayne Day revisits Edwards Air Force Base in the Mojave Desert which in the 1950s and 60s was a key test site for rocket engines as well as pilots’ nirvana for the testing of advanced aircraft."

If you dig around on this site you'll see the genesis of this article. I posted a bunch of things about Edwards rocket propulsion lab and then wrote a short article about the facility.

Picked up my 'commemorative' issue the other day.

Great job Dwayne.
Nice to see Art's images in there too.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 11/04/2011 09:51 pm »

Great job Dwayne.

Thank you. That is most kind.

As I mentioned, I've got some articles in the November issue, although they're short and not as well-illustrated. I also will possibly have a short article in December as well. I'm working on several other things too. Of course, I'm always working on something.

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 728
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #52 on: 11/04/2011 10:36 pm »
For what it's worth, I have *almost* a complete run of Spaceflight and it's my intention to scan every copy at some point and to offer the results to the BIS. It's nuts that they aren't offering .PDFs of current issues as the norm, never mind the whole matter of Kindle and iPad versions.

If anyone is interested in specific articles please let me know and I'll do my best to organise copies.

Bob Shaw

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #53 on: 11/04/2011 10:50 pm »

Great job Dwayne.

Thank you. That is most kind.

As I mentioned, I've got some articles in the November issue, although they're short and not as well-illustrated. I also will possibly have a short article in December as well. I'm working on several other things too. Of course, I'm always working on something.

Issues are a little slow to arrive here  ;)
But I look forward to it!

Offline dbaker

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #54 on: 11/05/2011 01:22 pm »
It's nuts that they aren't offering .PDFs of current issues as the norm, never mind the whole matter of Kindle and iPad versions.
Bob Shaw

Bob, as a Fellow of the British Interplanetary Society and the incoming editor of Spaceflight, let me echo your sentiments. But also please bear in mind that the BIS is run almost entirely by volunteers who have professional and very busy lives. While applauding your desire to have all issues on pdf, this does take a lot of time and there are presently few free hands at the tiller. Be assured that we are planning a significant and substantial expansion of both BIS e-based info banks and associated materials such as those you mention.

However, if you have the inclination to help us out in the manner you suggest, contact me through the BIS in London - details on the web. I will make sure we respond to you and start a dialogue. I am sure you could be of great help and I welcome your comments as an opportunity to make known the changes we will be introducing throughout 2012.

David (David Baker)

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: 11/05/2011 03:17 pm »
For what it's worth, I have *almost* a complete run of Spaceflight and it's my intention to scan every copy at some point and to offer the results to the BIS. It's nuts that they aren't offering .PDFs of current issues as the norm, never mind the whole matter of Kindle and iPad versions.

If you're going to do this (and it would be great), start with the early issues. Electronic forms exist for later stuff.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #56 on: 11/07/2011 07:47 pm »
Just a quick note (of surprise!) We took advantage of the "Buy one year, get 3 extra issues" and subscribed on October 24th. I was hoping that maybe overseas would take maybe a month or less to get to the US - it took less than two weeks!

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #57 on: 11/19/2011 06:45 pm »
Just got a second copy of the Dec 11 issue - if anyone US based would like it for $5 (shipped) let me know...

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #58 on: 12/14/2011 03:01 pm »
Trailer here:
v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjgxMjQ0MTk2.html
and a video for the theme song with more scenes from the movie here: v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjc5NzY3NzQ4.html

P.S.: Does anybody know how can I post the links without actually embedding the video players to the post? No formatting but erasing the http:// from the addresses prevented the movies from appearing

This whole movie can now be viewed and/or downloaded online here.

tudou.com/programs/view/JaaPjPMe_to/

It has English sub-titles.

The plot pretty much mirrors the real Chinese manned programme, past, present and near future, until the final 20 minutes or so when the need to up the pace means that there are a number of improbable or impossible events!!

Can I add the caveat, that I do not know if viewing may be blocked in some territories, but it works fine in the UK.
« Last Edit: 12/14/2011 03:05 pm by tonyq »

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: 12/14/2011 03:27 pm »
The plot pretty much mirrors the real Chinese manned programme, past, present and near future, until the final 20 minutes or so when the need to up the pace means that there are a number of improbable or impossible events!!

Space aliens!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography