Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 4  (Read 664613 times)

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 4
« Reply #620 on: 01/20/2017 12:45 am »
A polar launch would require a hellacious dogleg trajectory to avoid overflight of Mexico and the rest of Central America, and then South America.  Might be technically possible, but not economically nor politically.

OK but what is the minimal distance required? At some point, *any* polar launch will pass over some land, I guess the question is, how much downrange is orbit achieved
The answer is that, for US commercial space launch, it's not about "distance" but rather the Ec calculation, Expected Casualty risk.  Prior to getting a launch license from the FAA, mission planners are required to demonstrate an Ec < 30x10-6.  For info (albeit a bit outdated; the AC has been replaced) on how the Ec is calculated, you can see this old Advisory Circular from the FAA[.pdf] on the matter.
« Last Edit: 01/20/2017 12:46 am by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Nomadd

• Waikiki
  • Liked: 60418
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #621 on: 01/20/2017 01:30 am »
Yes we all await report from NOMAAD
That's actually where I got this handle. Some started calling me that in the army 42 years ago because I reminded him of the Star Trek character.

Is it because you wanted to destroy all carbon-based units or because you were in a centuries-long quest to find Roykirk?
It was a bad time.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Nomadd

• Waikiki
« Reply #622 on: 01/20/2017 01:32 am »
Roofing proceeding and the inside of the wall where the shaft is going, which is no help at all.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
« Reply #623 on: 01/20/2017 02:22 am »
Yes we all await report from NOMAAD
That's actually where I got this handle. Some started calling me that in the army 42 years ago because I reminded him of the Star Trek character.

Were you out to sterilize your imperfect colleagues?
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #624 on: 01/20/2017 02:26 am »
Just when you thought this thread couldn't get any more surreal...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #625 on: 01/20/2017 01:31 pm »
Roofing proceeding and the inside of the wall where the shaft is going, which is no help at all.

I see where the front Entrance is, I know there gonna put the STARGATE sign there I wonder what's gonna be inside STARGATE tho?
« Last Edit: 01/20/2017 01:32 pm by SPITexas »

Offline Wolfram66

You welcome! *#Snarkasm from Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #627 on: 01/20/2017 03:55 pm »

I see where the front Entrance is, I know there gonna put the STARGATE sign there I wonder what's gonna be inside STARGATE tho?
Every time I see the name of that facility, I can't help but expect a truck to show up there one day carrying a large ring covered in strange symbols.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #628 on: 01/20/2017 04:47 pm »

Every time I see the name of that facility, I can't help but expect a truck to show up there one day carrying a large ring covered in strange symbols.

There is an unfortunate problem with this facility in the future - F9H will not fit through the stargate assembled.
ITS has no hope.

Offline Chris Bergin

To be honest, I just look at the pictures :)

Great work Nomadd and our other Boca Band members!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1296
« Reply #630 on: 01/20/2017 07:31 pm »

There is an unfortunate problem with this facility in the future - F9H will not fit through the stargate assembled.
ITS has no hope.
Hmm even the current SX payload fairing will not fit through the Stargate. But a F9 with a Dragon 2 will. ;D

Offline SPITexas

« Reply #631 on: 01/21/2017 07:53 am »
http://www.expressnews.com/business/local/article/SpaceX-leads-space-exploration-renaissance-and-10872954.php
Got something good for you all "Space X Boca Chica 2018"
Everyday I wait for something like this,now we got news.
« Last Edit: 01/21/2017 07:56 am by SPITexas »

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #632 on: 01/21/2017 10:20 am »
http://www.expressnews.com/business/local/article/SpaceX-leads-space-exploration-renaissance-and-10872954.php
Got something good for you all "Space X Boca Chica 2018"
Everyday I wait for something like this,now we got news.

Quotes from the article:
SpaceX leads space exploration renaissance, and jobs, in South Texas
Musk’s SpaceX, ULA bring new options

The (ULA) facility in Harlingen has been on the same site since 1987 assembling Atlas payload fairing components — the nose cones used to protect spacecraft...

“It’s not a secret that the reason that companies come to South Texas is labor costs less than it does in other parts in the country, there’s no doubt about it,” Piller said. “That’s why we still exist because we can fabricate cheaper than they can in Decatur or any other part in the country.”

Cheap labor

The Bureau of Labor Statistics said that in May 2015, people working in the Brownsville-Harlingen metropolitan area made a mean hourly wage of $16.21 an hour — or a little more than $33,000 a year.

Every occupation except health care practitioners and technical categories made less in Brownsville-Harlingen than their national counterparts. Mathmaticians and computer programmers make 34 percent below the national average while architects and engineers earn 20 percent below average U.S. incomes, according to federal wage data.

STARGATE

STARGATE will have a facility next to the SpaceX integration facility in Boca Chica, giving students and professors a unique ability to interact with and view SpaceX’s missions...

The program is being supported by a $4.4 million grant from the Texas Emerging Technology Fund matched by $4.6 million from the University of Texas System...

Space discoveries

The school’s main initiative for a decade has been its Arecibo Remote Control Center, or ARCC, which takes data from the National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center’s Arecibo telescope in Puerto Rico and has students sift through it to find radio pulsars and other exotic galactic bodies.

To date, at least 63 discoveries have been made at ARCC, including the 10th known double-neutron star system.

Jenet said that students from his program are the ones who led the charge to engage SpaceX and persuade them to partner with local educational institutions.

“We basically have these programs that were developed, we have these students that were at this level and then SpaceX comes nosing around. Our students immediately take advantage of this and they start organizing themselves to talk to SpaceX and organizing themselves to talk at the forums,” he said.

Part of the practical use of STARGATE will be developing new radio frequency communications to increase the bandwidth of information that can be sent to and from space.

“At the end of the day it’s the same bag of tools that you learn to get a radio telescope to work, function and detect astronomical objects, it’s the same kind of stuff that you learn that ultimately can be used to get a rocket to launch, to track it, to communicate with it,” Jenet said.
« Last Edit: 01/21/2017 10:49 am by Dave G »

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
« Reply #633 on: 01/21/2017 03:38 pm »
Paywall, unfortunately.  Thanks for distilling it out for us, Dave G.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2279
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #634 on: 01/21/2017 04:04 pm »
Paywall, unfortunately.  Thanks for distilling it out for us, Dave G.
Just google the title and use the link from the hit. Worked for me.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline IanThePineapple

Very interesting, Stargate is in a great location. I like how SpaceX is expanding their collaborations with schools. I'd love to watch a launch from that second-floor balcony, may be the best location to watch the launch from.

Offline launchwatcher

• Liked: 724
  • Likes Given: 985
« Reply #636 on: 01/21/2017 10:16 pm »
Maybe the stargate goes to Mars, and ITS is just a distraction from it!
See also the prologue to Peter Hamilton's "Pandora's Star".   

Offline Nomadd

• Waikiki
« Reply #637 on: 01/21/2017 11:30 pm »
Very interesting, Stargate is in a great location. I like how SpaceX is expanding their collaborations with schools. I'd love to watch a launch from that second-floor balcony, may be the best location to watch the launch from.
2nd best.

Offline SPITexas

« Reply #638 on: 01/22/2017 06:57 am »
Hold on question if you don't mind, have you all talked about when there gonna build the Control center the very first thing they put out there a long fence & Portable if so when can we expect It. It's supposedly looks like this?
 We know STARGATE has started the Construction then the 1 of 2 satellites some activity at the Launch site, it's coming along slowly don't you think.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2017 07:01 am by SPITexas »

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #639 on: 01/22/2017 10:27 am »
Hold on question if you don't mind, have you all talked about when there gonna build the Control center the very first thing they put out there a long fence & Portable if so when can we expect It. It's supposedly looks like this?
 We know STARGATE has started the Construction then the 1 of 2 satellites some activity at the Launch site, it's coming along slowly don't you think.

We're not even sure where the buildings will be, let alone when they will be built.

But we do have a good idea of what they will build.  According the the EIS, the control center area will include:
• Two launch control center buildings
• Two payload processing facilities
• One Launch vehicle processing hangar

The EIS also shows how these 5 buildings may be placed among 3 separate parcels of land that SpaceX was looking to purchase at that time, but the EIS also makes it very clear that this specific layout will probably change based on subsequent land purchases. Specifically, the EIS says:
SpaceX has not identified the final design of the proposed control center area. Therefore, this EIS
includes the most conservative scenario and assumes that the proposed control center would comprise
portions of all three privately-owned parcels, as described below. However, the final site design may
only include portions of one or two of the parcels.

The picture you include above is something I drew up to show how much parcel 1 has grown since the EIS was written.  The dotted red line shows the proposed fence line.  The actual fence line I drew in yellow.  I used this to speculate that they may now concentrate all 5 buildings in parcel 1. 

I've also included a picture of parcels 2 & 3 from the EIS below, but again, the EIS wording makes it clear that this building layout is only notional, and subject to change.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2017 10:56 am by Dave G »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography