Author Topic: LIVE: Minotaur V - LADEE - September 6, 2013  (Read 150627 times)

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
LIVE: Minotaur V - LADEE - September 6, 2013
« on: 03/29/2012 01:26 am »
Live update thread for LADEE mission.

Source for an actual upcoming launch date i found was here:
http://www.marsspaceport.com/ladee

« Last Edit: 09/06/2013 12:06 pm by Chris Bergin »
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Re: LADEE launch, may 2nd ?
« Reply #1 on: 03/29/2012 01:56 am »
May 2013, so it's still on target.  :P

And several threads out there, including one with SpaceX protesting the launch contract: :-X

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=12631.0

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=24338.0
« Last Edit: 03/29/2012 01:58 am by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #2 on: 03/29/2012 02:05 am »
Hah, i was somehow convinced its this year.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #3 on: 06/19/2012 04:11 pm »
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Operations/SEMCXUAXH3H_0.html

In 2013, a NASA satellite will beam digital signals to an ESA receiving station fast enough to stream dozens of movies at once. The test will help to demonstrate the readiness of next-generation optical links for future data-intensive deep-space missions.

The joint ESA/NASA activity is part of NASA’s Lunar Laser Communication Demonstration (LLCD) project, which will use a new optical terminal flying on NASA’s Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer – LADEE – spacecraft to communicate with a trio of stations on Earth. 

NASA’s LADEE spacecraft, to be launched to the Moon in 2013, will transmit laser signals to two NASA stations, one in California and one in New Mexico, and to ESA’s Optical Ground Station (OGS), in Tenerife, Spain.
« Last Edit: 06/19/2012 04:12 pm by bolun »

Offline block51

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: 03/13/2013 10:42 am »
An neat video I found on facebook (alas no youtube or direct download) showing all of LADEE's solar panels being installed over a 2 day period. Time lapse.

Offline block51

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Minotaur V - LADEE - August, 2013
« Reply #5 on: 03/13/2013 04:12 pm »
A link to the video might be useful!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10101655711173363

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1602
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Minotaur V - LADEE - August, 2013
« Reply #6 on: 05/15/2013 12:42 am »
Launch update

Date posted: 2013-05-14
Mission: LADEE
Change: Launch date is 9/6/2013 UTC
Source: Amy E. Grigg, GSFC Office of Communications, 5/13/2013

http://msdb.gsfc.nasa.gov/change_log.php

Launch time is listed as September 6, 2013 at 02:37 UTC  (September 5, 22:37 EDT)

Spacecraft details and mission updates can be found here:

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraftDisplay.do?id=LADEE
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LADEE/main/

Offline Artyom.

• Liked: 1416
  • Likes Given: 135
Re: Minotaur V - LADEE - September 6, 2013
« Reply #7 on: 06/05/2013 04:15 pm »
LADEE Arrives at Wallops for Moon Mission

The NASA Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) arrived today at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility to begin final processing for its trip to the moon later this year. LADEE is a robotic mission that will orbit the moon to gather detailed information about the lunar atmosphere, conditions near the surface and environmental influences on lunar dust. A thorough understanding of these characteristics will address long-standing unknowns, and help scientists understand other planetary bodies as well. LADEE has three science instruments and one technology demonstration onboard.

LADEE's scheduled Sep. 5, 2013, launch will mark several firsts. It will be the first payload to launch on a U.S. Air Force Minotaur V rocket integrated by Orbital Sciences Corp., and the first deep space mission to launch from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center's Wallops Flight Facility.

NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington funds the LADEE mission, a cooperative effort led by NASA’s Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif. Ames is responsible for managing the mission, building the spacecraft and performing mission operations. NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md., is responsible for managing the science instruments and technology demonstration payload, and the science operations center. Wallops is responsible for launch vehicle integration, launch services, and launch range operations. NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala., manages LADEE within the Lunar Quest Program Office.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/news/ladeearrival.html

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #8 on: 06/09/2013 12:27 am »

Ames is responsible for managing the mission, building the spacecraft and performing mission operations.

{snip}

NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala., manages LADEE within the Lunar Quest Program Office.

I do not understand how two different field centers can do this. ???

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #9 on: 06/09/2013 01:20 am »
One center is responsible for the project and the other, the program, which has many projects

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8788
  • Likes Given: 7817
« Reply #10 on: 07/01/2013 05:50 pm »
NASA Ames Introduces LADEE Spacecraft Animation

Published on Jul 1, 2013
NASA Ames' Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) is a robotic mission that will orbit the moon to gather detailed information about the lunar atmosphere, conditions near the surface and environmental influences on lunar dust.

LADEE's scheduled Sep. 5, 2013, launch will mark several firsts. It will be the first payload to launch on a U.S. Air Force Minotaur V rocket integrated by Orbital Sciences Corp., and the first deep space mission to launch from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center's Wallops Flight Facility.

Credit: NASA Ames/Dana Berry
Note: Animation is silent with no audio/music track included.

For more information about the IRIS mission, please visit http://www.nasa.gov/LADEE
For more information about NASA Ames, please visit http://www.nasa.gov/ames

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #11 on: 07/11/2013 06:41 pm »
NASA Ames LADEE Mission - Lunar Orbital Insertion Animation

Published on Jul 11, 2013
NASA Ames' Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) is a robotic mission that will orbit the moon to gather detailed information about the lunar atmosphere, conditions near the surface and environmental influences on lunar dust. LADEE is scheduled to launch from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia on Sept. 6, 2013.

This animation is a representation of lunar orbital insertion, which is the path the spacecraft follows when it is captured by the Moon's gravity and enters lunar orbit.

Credit: NASA Ames/Dana Berry
Note: Animation is silent with no audio/music track included.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #12 on: 07/11/2013 06:57 pm »
Looks like all components for this years Minotaur flights from MARS have either been shipped or are currently in the process of being shipped to MARS.

Online catdlr

« Reply #13 on: 07/20/2013 05:19 pm »
NASA Ames LADEE Mission - Science Collection / Orbital Variation / Lunar Atmosphere

Published on Jul 19, 2013
NASA Ames' Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) is a robotic mission that will orbit the moon to gather detailed information about the lunar atmosphere, conditions near the surface and environmental influences on lunar dust. LADEE is scheduled to launch from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia on Sept. 6, 2013.

This animation is contains three shots:

1) A close up view of the Lunar Dust Experiment (LDEX) instrument. LDEX operates by detecting the ions generated when tiny particles of dust impact the back of the instrument at extremely high speed. The data collected will be used to calculate the mass, density, speed and electric charge of the lunar dust.

2) The variations in the orbital path flown by LADEE. The high point of the LADEE's orbit will vary between 100 and 160 kilometers, while the low point will vary between 50 and 20km above the surface of the moon.

3) A representation of the light from the sun scattering through the lunar atmosphere as LADEE flies past at sunset.

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #14 on: 07/29/2013 08:20 pm »
Is it too early to create a "Going to View the Launch" thread?

http://www.nasa.gov/content/see-the-launch-of-nasa-s-ladee-mission-to-the-moon/#.UfbNRm08gqY

See the Launch of NASA’s LADEE Mission to the Moon
Sept 5, 2013

NASA will host a two-day event for 50 of its social media followers on Thursday, Sept. 5, and Friday, Sept. 6, at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility, Va., for the launch of NASA's Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE).

LADEE is a robotic mission that will orbit our moon to gather detailed information about the structure and composition of the thin lunar atmosphere and determine if dust is being lofted into the lunar sky.

A thorough understanding of these characteristics of our nearest celestial neighbor will help researchers understand other bodies in the solar system, such as Mercury, outer planets’ moons and larger asteroids. The mission was developed and built at NASA’s Ames Research Center in California’s Silicon Valley.

LADEE is the first moon launch from Wallops Flight Facility and the first launch of Orbital Sciences Corporation’s Minotaur V rocket.

NASA Social participants will have the opportunity to:

View the launch of the Minotaur V rocket carrying LADEE
    Hear first-hand accounts of the mission development and research goals from the LADEE science and engineering teams from NASA Ames and other organizations
    Get a behind-the-scenes tour Wallops Flight Facility (Note: All sites on  WFF are subject to closure due to mission requirements), including potential opportunities to:
        Tour Chincoteague Island
        View the Minotaur V launch pad
    Meet and interact with representatives from NASA and Orbital Sciences Corporation
    Meet fellow space enthusiasts who are active on social media
    Meet members of NASA's social media teams
    Touch an actual moon rock

Registration opens on this page at 5 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, July 24, and closes at 5 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, July 31.

REGISTER NOW
http://socialforms.nasa.gov/register-for-nasa-social-no-guests

What is a NASA Social?

A NASA Social is an informal meeting of people who use social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Participants at this event will be provided a unique in-person experience at the NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility, which they are encouraged to share with others through their favorite social networks.

Guests will have an opportunity to learn more about ­­­­­­NASA and new and recent discoveries about our moon and its connection to upcoming missions to asteroids, comets and other destinations!

How do I register?

Registration opens at 5 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, July 24, and closes at 5 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, July 31. Check back on this page for the registration link.  Fifty participants will be randomly selected from online registrations. Registration is for one person only (you) and is non-transferable.

Additional registrants will be placed on a waiting list.

Do I need to have a social media account to register?

Yes. This event is designed for active social media users who follow NASA Wallops, NASA Ames, Orbital Sciences and NASA on Twitter (@NASALADEE, @NASA_Wallops, @NASAAmes, @OrbitalSciences, @NASA, @NASASocial), Facebook (NASA, Wallops, Ames, Orbital Sciences) and Google+ (NASA). The goal of a NASA Social is to allow people who regularly interact with each other via social networks to meet in person and discuss space exploration.

Users on all social networks are encouraged to use the hashtag #NASASocial. Updates and information about the event will be shared on Twitter via @NASALADEE, @NASA_Wallops, @NASAAmes and @NASASocial and via posts to Facebook and Google+.

What are the registration requirements?

Registration indicates your intent to travel to NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia and attend the two-day event in person. You are responsible for your own expenses for travel, accommodation, food and other amenities.

Some events and participants scheduled to appear at the event are subject to change without notice. NASA and Orbital Sciences are not responsible for loss or damage incurred as a result of attending. NASA and Orbital Sciences, moreover, are not responsible for loss or damage incurred if the event is cancelled with limited or no notice. Please plan accordingly.

Wallops is a government facility. Those who are selected will need to complete an additional registration step to receive clearance to enter the secure areas. To be admitted, you will need to show two government-issued identifications (one with a photo) that match the name provided on the registration. Those without proper identification cannot be admitted. All registrants must be at least 18 years old.

Can I register if I am not a U.S. citizen?

Because portions of this event may take place in restricted areas, registration is limited to U.S. citizens. If you have a green card, you will be processed as a U.S. citizen. Those who are selected will need to complete an additional registration step to receive clearance to enter the secure areas. To be admitted, you will need to show two government-issued identifications (one with a photo) that match the name provided on the registration. Those without proper identification cannot be admitted. All registrants must be at least 18 years old.

Does my registration include a guest?

Because of space limitations, you may not bring a guest. Each registration provides a place for one person only (you) and is non-transferable. Each individual wishing to attend must register separately.

What if I cannot come to Wallops?

If you cannot come to Wallops to attend in person, you should not register for the NASA Social. You can follow the conversation using the #NASASocial hashtag on Twitter. NASA may broadcast a portion of the program on Sept. 5 and 6. You can watch the launch on Sept. 6 on NASA TV or in person at the Wallops public viewing site. NASA, will provide regular launch and mission updates on @NASA and @NASALADEE and other accounts.

If you cannot make this NASA Social, don't despair; NASA is planning others in the near future at various locations. Check back on http://www.nasa.gov/social for updates.

When will I know if I am selected?

After registrations have been received and processed, an email with confirmation information and additional instructions will be sent to those selected and those on the waitlist. We expect to send notifications no later than Aug. 6.

If you do not make the registration list for this NASA Social, you can still attend the launch and participate in the conversation online. Find out about ways to experience the launch and participate in the mission at http://www.nasa.gov/ladee.

What if the launch date changes?

Hundreds of different factors can cause a scheduled launch date to change multiple times. The launch date will not be official until after the Flight Readiness Review. If the launch date changes, NASA may adjust the date of the NASA Social accordingly to coincide with the new target launch date. NASA will notify registrants of any changes by email. There is a launch opportunity for LADEE each day from Sept. 6-10, should the launch slip.

If the launch is postponed, attendees may be invited back to attend the launch at a future date.

NASA Social attendees are responsible for any additional costs they incur related to any launch delay. We strongly encourage participants to make travel arrangements that are refundable and/or flexible.

Does registration for and/or attendance at the NASA Social qualify me for media accreditation?

Your NASA Social registration and/or attendance does not qualify you for news media credentials at Wallops Flight Facility, now or in the future.

Have a question not answered here? Need more information? Help is available by sending an email to [email protected].

Online jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1684
« Reply #15 on: 08/06/2013 11:12 pm »
NASA Ames LADEE Mission - Science Collection / Orbital Variation / Lunar Atmosphere

Published on Jul 19, 2013

This animation is contains three shots:

1) A close up view of the Lunar Dust Experiment (LDEX) instrument. LDEX operates by detecting the ions generated when tiny particles of dust impact the back of the instrument at extremely high speed. The data collected will be used to calculate the mass, density, speed and electric charge of the lunar dust.

2) The variations in the orbital path flown by LADEE. The high point of the LADEE's orbit will vary between 100 and 160 kilometers, while the low point will vary between 50 and 20km above the surface of the moon.

Are they expecting dust 50-20km up? If so, that's impressive. I definitely want to see how the numbers come back for at least one of my hairbrained schemes...

~Jon

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #16 on: 08/15/2013 08:25 pm »
MEDIA ADVISORY M13-135

NASA Hosts NASA TV News Briefing on Upcoming Lunar Mission

NASA will host a news briefing at 3 p.m. EDT Thursday, Aug. 22, at NASA Headquarters, 300 E St. SW in Washington, to discuss the agency's next, and first mission to the moon launching from the Virginia coast.

The briefing will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

NASA's Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) mission is scheduled to launch at 11:27 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6, from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on Wallops Island, Va.

Data from the mission will provide unprecedented information about the environment around the moon and give scientists a better understanding of other planetary bodies in our solar system and beyond.

Briefing participants include:

Joan Salute, LADEE program executive, NASA Headquarters
Sarah Noble, LADEE program scientist, NASA Headquarters
Butler Hine, LADEE project manager, NASA's Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif.
Doug Voss, launch manager, Wallops
Don Cornwell, mission manager for the Lunar Laser Communications Demonstration, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
Journalists unable to attend at Headquarters may ask questions at participating NASA locations, join by phone, or send questions via Twitter using the hashtag #askNASA. To participate by phone, reporters must contact Dwayne Brown at [email protected] or 202-358-1726 with media affiliation information by 2 p.m. Aug. 22.

For NASA TV streaming video, downlink and scheduling information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For more information about the LADEE mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ladee

Jacques :-)

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 658
« Reply #17 on: 08/20/2013 03:39 am »
Constraints on the origin of the Moon's atmosphere from observations during a lunar eclipse
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v377/n6548/abs/377404a0.html
9 lunar radii * 1737 km/radius = 15633km
at least

Offline FXM

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #18 on: 08/21/2013 02:28 am »
Does anyone know which roads will be closed with the upcoming launch?

http://www.wboc.com/story/23150811/gearing-up-for-nasa-wallops-first-moon-mission

I am wondering if Arbuckle Neck Road will be open or do I need to find another area.

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 258
  • Likes Given: 0

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston