Author Topic: White Room Apollo  (Read 8096 times)

Offline capcomespace

• france
    • capcom espace
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
White Room Apollo
« on: 02/10/2009 09:50 am »
I m looking for informations to the white room Apollo. I wonder how many room was built for Apollo.

According that I know, the first WR was built for pad 34 and served for AS 201 and Apollo 1. The similar WR have equiped the LUT 1 et 2 for AS50 F operation, Apollo 4 and Apollo 6 flight.

After the fire, the WR hook was modified and installed a top pad 34 for Apollo 7 mission. This room was numbered on this face #2. The same WR was installed a top the three LUT, WR#3 for LUT1, WR#4 for LUT 2 and WR#5 for LUT 3.   

According NASA pics WR#3 was used for Apollo 8 and 11 flight, WR#4 for Apollo 9 and 12 and WR#5 for Apollo 15,16 and 17.
Skylab mission and ASTP used WR#4 a top LUT 1 Milkstool

Question:
_ why switchnig the WR beetween LUT 1 Apollo and LUT 1 Milkstool ?

_ The actual WR display at KSC Visitor was in place since 1977. She was noticied used for Apollo 8 11 and Skylab mission (according pic taken this year) and was no numbered on this face. Today, the notice was removed. This WR is maybe the #3 ?

_ The WR a top the milkstool was the #4 (NASA pics). When the tower was scrapped, the chamber was put on the boneyear. According Roland Miller, the room was no numbered, maybe the time erased the number. This WR is actualy on Cosmosphere museum at Kansas.

_ Where is the third WR, the #5 ?

_ Where is the two WR used at pad 34 ? According Jim Mcdade pics  she was abandonned on wood.

If anybody can help me.

« Last Edit: 02/10/2009 11:36 am by capcomespace »
Didier Capdevila
www.capcomespace.net

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
Re: White Room Apollo
« Reply #1 on: 02/17/2009 11:44 pm »
I talked to Guether Wendt today and asked him about this.  The answer appears to be 4, maybe 5

1 at Pad 37.  This one was not the same as the other White Rooms for Apollo.  He said it was "a sort of white room"

1 on each LUT.

Perhaps a spare.

one is now at the Kansas Cosmosphere and another is at KSC.  He (nor I) know where the other two are.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #2 on: 02/18/2009 12:04 am »
The Apollo 11 WR has been fully restored by, and is now on display, at the Kansas Cosmosphere.

The WR on display in the KSC Visitors Center Rocket Garden is indeed from Pad 37 and was never used to fly any crew.   It is attached to Service Arm #9 from LUT #1 -- which was the last thing both Armstrong & Alrdin walked down before then walking on the moon.   I believe it was switched out after the Lunar program finished because of its historical significance.   I *think* it was replaced with the WR from LC-34 because that had been used to fly Saturn-1B's previously.

Having walked around the old LUT boneyard extensively I don't think any WR's were in there when LUT #1 was scrapped a few years ago.   So all the other WR's could still exist somewhere.   Don't know where though.

AFAIK there is one from LC-34, another from LUT #2 and one more from LUT #3.   I don't know where any of those are currently located and I'm not sure what their numbers are.   There probably was at least one "spare" somewhere too.

Ross.
« Last Edit: 02/18/2009 12:09 am by kraisee »
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #3 on: 07/07/2009 07:06 pm »
The Apollo 11 WR has been fully restored by, and is now on display, at the Kansas Cosmosphere.
Ross.
Ross,

Is that the one that was in the boneyard in 1994, when the images shown below were shot?

Offline capcomespace

• france
    • capcom espace
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 11/05/2012 07:34 pm »
Any news from "white room".
The white room that Jim McDade saw has been restored and is now on display in the Davidson Center.

http://heroicrelics.org/ussrc/white-room/index.html
Didier Capdevila
www.capcomespace.net

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography