Author Topic: Elon Musk on Senate Funding to Restore American Human Spaceflight Capability  (Read 3641 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Everyone's getting some good news this week! :)

Statement by SpaceX CEO Elon Musk on Senate Funding to Restore American Human Spaceflight Capability

Safest and Most Rapid Alternative to Paying Russia to Transport Astronauts to the ISS

Hawthorne, CA - Today the Senate Appropriations Committee approved $500 million for Commercial Spaceflight as part of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s 2012 budget.  This will support the Commercial Crew Development Program (CCDev), a NASA initiative with the goal of safely and rapidly restoring America's domestic capability to carry astronauts into space.

With the Space Shuttle's retirement earlier this year, the United States became wholly reliant on Russia to carry American astronauts to the space station.  SpaceX is currently one of four companies to receive funding under the CCDev program.

Elon Musk, SpaceX CEO and Chief Technology Officer, issued the following statement:

"The United States needs alternatives for carrying American astronauts, and we need them as soon as possible," said SpaceX CEO and chief rocket designer Elon Musk. "The investments made by this legislation will accelerate efforts to return America to launching astronauts and reduce our dependency on Russia. With the failure of the Soyuz booster last month, this effort is more important than ever.

"NASA's Commercial Crew Development Program is the most fiscally responsible means to rapidly advance human spaceflight. It has protected taxpayer dollars with fixed-price, pay-for-performance contracts. It fosters competition that forces companies to compete on reliability, capability and cost. And it leverages private investment - making taxpayer dollars go further.

"SpaceX applauds Chairwoman Mikulski, Ranking Member Hutchison and the Members of the Subcommittee for recognizing the value of the program. With the support of Congress, American companies will soon be able to end the flow of tax dollars to Russia and instead invest in high-tech American jobs."

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
Nice statement from Mr. Musk. Specifically mentions that there are four companies in the CCDev program, not just SpaceX.

I haven't been able to follow the progress of the Senate appropriation prior to this, so is $500 enough to keep this program on track? (I realize that that's kind of a broad question).  If it's not relevant to this thread I can move it.

A good news week indeed!

David
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline jbrooks

• Space Enthusiast
  • Earth, for the time being....
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Well, it's not the $850 million that Obama was requesting earlier this year - but it is enough to fund some manifestation of CCDev 3, later this year or the beginning of next.

Offline beancounter

• Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 172
If it maintains the existing contracting structure a la CCDev Rd2 then it will be enough.  If it reverts to traditional NASA programs then it won't be even for one contractor. 
Beancounter from DownUnder

Offline SpacemanInSPACE

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 72
They want two commercial providers, so I'm assuming each will be given roughly $200m. (Some of the cash may be used for other purposes) Will this funding level this cover the expences of the fledging companies?
Am I wrong to feel that there be negative consequences to Congress failing to provide adequate support for Commercial Space?
Given the choice, Is situation in which both of the sponsored companies are underfunded, more desirable than in one of which one company is given swift and
Space is worth it God Damnit!

Offline aquanaut99

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 0
Nice statement.

Tho I'd be happier if Mr. Musk made less statements and powerpoint presentations and instead got a manned Dragon up there ASAP.

Or, I'd settle for CST-100. And DreamChaser would be uber cool.

Just fly already!

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
It's a good statement, and I'm sure it didn't detract from the work of bending metal.

Even so.  Can you guys launch maybe a day sooner?  A bit of leftward movement on the schedule would be great.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
A day sooner than what?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island