Author Topic: A strange Apollo mockup.  (Read 16095 times)

Offline carmelo

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
A strange Apollo mockup.
« on: 03/09/2008 11:43 pm »
What is this?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: A strange Apollo mockup.
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/2008 11:47 pm »
antenna or EMI test config

Offline Jason

• WTF is the internet?
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2008 01:34 am »
It's an OSHA contest photo.

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: 03/10/2008 12:39 pm »
It's  Revell's ultra rare Apollo: Mission to the Moon kit!

Designed in 12"/1' scale, this was an exceptionally rare model only available for a short time in December of 1966. Sales were very weak and Revell pulled the model from its catalog in 1967. The molds for it and the never produced 12"/1' Saturn V were destroyed in a warehouse accident in 1988. I managed to see the kit on the shelf of a long defunct hobby shop back in 1974 but I thought that the discounted price of $2.5million was out my allowance range. I've seen a few trade on Ebay for over $10 million.

However, as a scale model it really lacks. The CSM is a block one design, not meant for lunar orbit. The LEM is also of an early design. Significant work would be involved to bring to model to be an acccurate replica of the lunar spacecraft. I've heard rumors that Realspace models is offering a conversion kit though in the near future.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2008 01:57 pm »
Jim - 9/3/2008  7:47 PM

antenna or EMI test config

That would be my guess.  An RF test range, used to test either radiated emission patterns, or radiated susceptibility to interference, or both.  The mockups are on a spinning platform so that a fixed set of receiving antennas surrounding the platform can gradually characterize the full 360 degree pattern of emissions (and reception) from all of the antennas on the CM/LM combination.

But where was this photo taken?  Did Langley have a site like this?  (It "looks" like the East Coast or the Midwest to my eyes).  Did NASA use U.S. Navy or Air Force RF test ranges?

- Ed Kyle

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #5 on: 03/10/2008 02:08 pm »
It looks like JSC

edit:

I believe I am right
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=29.560505,-95.09403&spn=0.008996,0.014591&t=h&z=16

RF test area is in the lower left and upper right is the water tower (with shadow) which is also in the original photo

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #6 on: 03/10/2008 03:04 pm »
Jim - 10/3/2008  10:08 AM

It looks like JSC

edit:

I believe I am right
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=29.560505,-95.09403&spn=0.008996,0.014591&t=h&z=16

RF test area is in the lower left and upper right is the water tower (with shadow) which is also in the original photo

It looks like a match to me.  Nice find.  

- Ed Kyle

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8740
« Reply #7 on: 03/10/2008 03:23 pm »
I liked Gene's version better!

Gene DiGennaro - 10/3/2008  6:39 AM

Designed in 12"/1' scale, this was an exceptionally rare model only available for a short time in December of 1966. Sales were very weak and Revell pulled the model from its catalog in 1967. The molds for it and the never produced 12"/1' Saturn V were destroyed in a warehouse accident in 1988. I managed to see the kit on the shelf of a long defunct hobby shop back in 1974 but I thought that the discounted price of $2.5million was out my allowance range. I've seen a few trade on Ebay for over $10 million.

However, as a scale model it really lacks. The CSM is a block one design, not meant for lunar orbit. The LEM is also of an early design. Significant work would be involved to bring to model to be an acccurate replica of the lunar spacecraft. I've heard rumors that Realspace models is offering a conversion kit though in the near future.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Rusty_Barton

• "Hello, world!"
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: 03/10/2008 05:19 pm »
Gene DiGennaro - 10/3/2008  6:39 AM

This rare Revell model would have been worth more, but unfortunately, they didn't save the box.
 :laugh:

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
« Reply #9 on: 03/10/2008 05:43 pm »
Yes, the box had artwork done by noted aviation artist Keith Ferris. In the book "The Illustrated, Corrugated, and Regurgitated History of Revell Models" by Flywheel & Shyster (out of print) there's a picture of Ferris working on the box art.

According to the book Revell was going to re-release the kit on the tenth anniversary of Apollo 11 but to comply with "truth in advertising" rules, a photo of the completed model would be used on the box. The original artwork and artwork done by Robert McCall for the never released Sat V languish in a Kentucky bus station to this day.

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
« Reply #10 on: 03/10/2008 05:51 pm »
All silliness aside, it looks like the spacecraft stack could be rotated about the axis running from engine bell of the CSM to the descent engine of the LEM.

Offline Rusty_Barton

• "Hello, world!"
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: 03/10/2008 06:09 pm »
I believe NASA had a test range set up at Johnson Space Center (then Manned Spacecraft Center) for testing full sized spacecraft. Look at the old Dodge? pickup next to the test rig.

Offline grakenverb

• New York
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #12 on: 03/10/2008 10:55 pm »
Jason - 9/3/2008  10:34 PM

Could you imagine someone doing that today? Standing on the TOP rung of a A-frame ladder, 20 feet in the air with no safety harness?  That guy would have 3 safety inspectors and a safety supervisor (plus 3 back up safety paperwork inspectors).  That is why I don't think the time frame for the new moon missions will hold up. Too much bureaucracy.

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
    • Challenger 498 NAR Section
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: 03/10/2008 11:11 pm »
I wonder where this piece of hardware (if it still exist) is today?
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #14 on: 03/10/2008 11:44 pm »
grakenverb - 10/3/2008  7:55 PM

Could you imagine someone doing that today? Standing on the TOP rung of a A-frame ladder, 20 feet in the air with no safety harness?  That guy would have 3 safety inspectors and a safety supervisor (plus 3 back up safety paperwork inspectors).  That is why I don't think the time frame for the new moon missions will hold up. Too much bureaucracy.

That is just plain wrong and uncalled for!  

Those rules are applicable everywhere.  They aren't NASA's

Offline grakenverb

• New York
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #15 on: 03/10/2008 11:54 pm »
Jim - 10/3/2008  8:44 PM

No offense meant to you fine NASA people!  Just a commentary on todays' safety-bureaucracy-crazy world.  I know that the rules are created to keep people safe, but sometimes they stifle creativity and add to cost.  I don't think Chuck Yeager would have been allowed to fly with a broken rib and close the hatch with a broomstick today.

Offline brihath

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #16 on: 03/11/2008 12:31 am »
Gene DiGennaro - 10/3/2008  2:51 PM

All silliness aside, it looks like the spacecraft stack could be rotated about the axis running from engine bell of the CSM to the descent engine of the LEM.

Well, of course, I have it now!  Back during the Apollo days, the CSM/LM stack flew in what was known as "barbecue mode" on the way to the Moon, and this rig was built to test the concept.  Why, there is even room for plenty of charcoal.  (Remember, this was before gas grills were all the rage). ;)

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
« Reply #17 on: 03/11/2008 02:32 am »
not going to go there, too close to reality with Apollo 1 and all that

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #18 on: 03/11/2008 02:45 am »
grakenverb - 10/3/2008  8:54 PM

Jim - 10/3/2008  8:44 PM

No offense meant to you fine NASA people!  Just a commentary on todays' safety-bureaucracy-crazy world.  I know that the rules are created to keep people safe, but sometimes they stifle creativity and add to cost.  I don't think Chuck Yeager would have been allowed to fly with a broken rib and close the hatch with a broomstick today.
OSHA safety rules are written with blood and pine boxes, not the whims of a committee. Doing things in safe manor is the law. You have no right to endanger your employees with unsafe practices. If they had known about Yeager's rib, he would not have flow.

In today’s environment you would have most likely been required to LOTO the rotational mechanism on the test article before servicing it with a cherry picker. That is common sense.

I look at it as we have the benefit of 20/20 hind sight. It is criminal to not use it.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline brihath

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #19 on: 03/11/2008 12:06 pm »
Gene DiGennaro - 10/3/2008  11:32 PM

not going to go there, too close to reality with Apollo 1 and all that

Apologies... I didn't mean to offend.  "Barbecue mode" was the common phrase used by the news media back then.  It meant rolling the stack slowly to spread out the effects of solar heating.  That was the flight mode that was used on the way out and back.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography