Author Topic: Endeavour @ California Science Center's Samuel Oschin Air and Space Museum  (Read 177422 times)

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
Nice work QG! Great pics - she looks well looked after.

Those RSMEs do look convincing!

Seems like Discovery got the shaft on the RSME's, Hers dont look nearly as good as Atlantis and Endeavour.
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
Hopefully they aren't letting dust and cobwebs gather on her like Discovery.

Great pictures guys! I'm glad some of you got pictures of Endeavour's tiles. A lot of people don't take pictures of them. I guess because they don't understand how important they are.

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
Seems like Discovery got the shaft on the RSME's, Hers dont look nearly as good as Atlantis and Endeavour.

They were the first ones done and, yes, they look too "new". IIRC, Smithsonian intends to have them repainted at some point. Probably comes down to fundraising and allocating the dollars amongst the other exhibits.

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
Yeah where as Atlantis and Endeavours looked nice and used :)

Im glad to know at some point they plan to update that and paint to better look realistic
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
I guess it doesn't matter which shuttle you visit....they are all beautiful!!

Great pictures!

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Personal photos from NSFers are always great to see. Thanks for sharing them with us! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/GenInfo/NewsAndEvents/Headlines/2013/EndeavourFest/EndeavourFest.php

Felix Baumgartner's Red Bull Stratos capsule will be on display at the CSC starting that weekend

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
Man I wish I could be there..

It makes me happy to see how well LA is treating Endeavour.

Less than a year til a see her..
« Last Edit: 09/08/2013 12:35 am by Overflow »

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
I don't really know where to put this, but I was at the Tampa International Auto Show today.. And what do I see at the Toyota display?

Offline eeergo

During this Thanksgiving, and profiting from a visit to a friend, I made a visit to Endeavour in her temporary exhibit in Los Angeles (just after getting off the plane, I couldn't wait :) ) Most of my pictures are similar to the ones already posted, but I tried to get a couple of "new" perspectives.

As an aside comment, I was delighted to examine with my naked eye the tiles impact, including the slightly melted one that I could remember watching live in orbit with the OBSS' cameras, the DAT presentations and the post-flight damage assessments in L2. I have a question for someone with a fresher memory than mine about one of them, however (the one showing the red adhesive): to me, it looks like that was caused post-flight, since it doesn't appear to be burned even though it's facing the direction of motion during re-entry. I asked one of the curators, and she told me they were all caused by launch impacts (I asked her if she knew about the specific history of that one, since it was pretty different-looking from the others)- was she giving a general answer as I suspect? Of course, that doesn't detract from the formidable job these people (volunteers?) do with passion and enthusiasm, day after day, to the very numerous amount of people visiting the exhibit!

In any case, here are some detailed views of the youngster orbiter in the fleet:
-DaviD-

Offline spacecane

• Liked: 0

I have a question for someone with a fresher memory than mine about one of them, however (the one showing the red adhesive): to me, it looks like that was caused post-flight, since it doesn't appear to be burned even though it's facing the direction of motion during re-entry.

To me it appears the red adhesive was used to attach the tile.  Subsequent to that repair (and likely on the last launch) there was an impact that broke away part of the tile and exposed the adhesive.  Since there isn't a "hole" there, there is nothing to draw the air in from the slipstream.  The way I understand it is that a boundary layer forms and the heat doesn't penetrate into a small gap like that.  If it did then any small damage would have been catastrophic.

Similar to the area of your car between the hood and the windshield.  When leaves go in there they don't blow out because the slipstream is going over that gap.

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
The issue was noted (and found in-flight on STS-134) during the MMT briefing on FD3 of STS-134. 

You can find what LeRoy Cain said about it here:  http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=25174.msg740148#msg740148 

You can find the Focused Inspection (FD6) of that tile here: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=25216.msg742277#msg742277

With the quick work of the DAT, they cleared the tile later that evening, found here: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=25216.msg742532#msg742532

In the long run, the MMT decided this was safe enough to bring the crew home without further action.  There's a transcript below the last link if you want to read that.

I believe that spacecane has the right idea, however.  They were testing this with a "Boundry Layer Transition" tile experiment on the final few flights, seeing how the data was further towards the aft of the vehicle with a tile that stuck out from the rest of the belly.  There's a lot more data on this on L2.

Hope this helps!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Here are pics from a Spacehab view.

Offline mtakala24

NASA shuttle veteran gives old parts new life for L.A. exhibit

Dennis Jenkins spent 30 years sending shuttles into space. Now he's helping the California Science Center build its Endeavour display.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c1-shuttle-junk-20140317-dto,0,7967790.htmlstory

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
I heard about the earthquake that hit Los Angeles..

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8786
  • Likes Given: 7815
I live nearby.  Nothing much other than a wake up to get prepared.  Endeavour is sitting on top of special base isolaters to dampen the shaking effect.
« Last Edit: 03/18/2014 11:04 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
I live nearby.  Nothing much other than a wake up to get prepared.  Endeavour is sitting on top of special base isolaters to dampen the shaking effect.
The tough old girl is used to the “shake, rattle and roll” riding her SRB’s all those years... ;)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline theebag

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 39
Hello all,

Recently I've visisted Endeavour and took some pictures. Maybe not the best in composition or detail but at least in full 24MP glory for all you to enjoy  ;).

« Last Edit: 03/23/2014 03:18 pm by theebag »
Floating around the globe.

Offline DaveJes1979

• Toontown, CA
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 6
The L.A. exhibit is the worst of all 3 shuttle exhibits (the KSC exhibit of Atlantis is the best).  The hangar barely fits the shuttle front-to-back so it is difficult to get photographs of the entire shuttle.  Only very wide lenses will work.  They compounded the problem by putting the friggin' gift shop right under and in front of the shuttle's nose.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8786
  • Likes Given: 7815
The L.A. exhibit is the worst of all 3 shuttle exhibits (the KSC exhibit of Atlantis is the best).  The hangar barely fits the shuttle front-to-back so it is difficult to get photographs of the entire shuttle.  Only very wide lenses will work.  They compounded the problem by putting the friggin' gift shop right under and in front of the shuttle's nose.

DaveJes1979:  The current facility is temporary.  Obviously you didn't notice the pictures of the new museum that's being built on the opposite end of the building.  The pictures are at the Endeavour exhibit north wall near the gift store that was in your way.  Read the bottom of Robert Pearlman's "collectspace.com" article.

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-101113a.html
« Last Edit: 04/18/2014 11:29 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography