Author Topic: Decision to not move TMA-12 for the docking of next Progress  (Read 4639 times)

Offline K8B

• ~ Kilo Papa Alpha Echo ~
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I was wondering if anyone had info as to when/why the Russian State commission has decided to not move TMA-12 from it's current position (pirs docking) to another (zarya) for the upcoming Progress docking in mid May. The announcer on NASA TV said that there has (or is going to be) a decision to not move the Soyuz craft due to the ballistic reentry of TMA-11.

Is there a "freeze" on doing anything with a Soyuz until further investigation? I was hoping for more insight. This was matter-of-factly mentioned today during ISS mission coverage (at first I thought it was live but found later it was recorded today (am)).

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
I believe that the Soyuz has to be ready for re-entry during the moving, because if they couldn't re-dock for some reason, they'd have to re-enter.  Since re-entry is where all the trouble lies now, they're probably not ready for re-entry of TMA-12 if necessary.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline K8B

• ~ Kilo Papa Alpha Echo ~
  • Liked: 0
Right... that makes sense. I figured something like that... but hadn't seen an official announced "hold" on using the craft. I guess it's currently for "emergency use" only.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
So, the "May" Progress is going to dock ..... where?

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
Danderman - 30/4/2008  4:20 PM

So, the "May" Progress is going to dock ..... where?
To Zarya, which is the only open port; it's in the latest schedule anik posted:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=61&start=661#M274019

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
Well, THAT will be certainly be fun. There is a reason why Soyuz relocations to FGB Nadir are performed.

Online rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
Danderman - 30/4/2008  4:38 PM

Well, THAT will be certainly be fun. There is a reason why Soyuz relocations to FGB Nadir are performed.

...which is???

Offline catfry

• Liked: 6
Only thing I know about it is that one of the Kurs antennas HAS to retract for clearance with ISS. If it doesn't, it'll touch structure. This is not the case for docking to Pirs or aft end.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
"Only thing I know about it is that one of the Kurs antennas HAS to retract for clearance with ISS. If it doesn't, it'll touch structure. This is not the case for docking to Pirs or aft end."

Actually, if I recall, I think that is the ONE place that is ceritifed if the antenna does not retract.

Well one painful affect is that Chamitoff will have to spend the day in the Soyuz during EVA #20 in July since he can't be seperated from the Soyuz.

Online rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
The "day in Soyuz" vacation was mentioned at today's briefing - Mike said it happened on one EVA before, anyone recall?

Also loved the number of questions about safety of Soyuz if NASA was not willing to move it for the docking, strange how people can't understand the most simple of concepts!

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368
rdale - 1/5/2008  9:59 PM

The "day in Soyuz" vacation was mentioned at today's briefing - Mike said it happened on one EVA before, anyone recall?

There was one similar case in ISS program. The spacewalk of Expedition 8 crew on February 26-27, 2004. Soyuz TMA-3 was on Pirs, but then no one was in spacecraft. There were many stayings of cosmonauts/astronauts in Soyuz during EVAs in Mir program.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
"Soyuz TMA-3 was on Pirs, but then no one was in spacecraft. "

Right - you only had two people on ISS and both were outside.

Offline Colds7ream

• Tomorrow's Flight Surgeon
  • Scientia Dabit Alas
  • RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus
    • SalopianJames - en Wikipedia
  • Liked: 3
rdale - 1/5/2008  6:59 PM

Also loved the number of questions about safety of Soyuz if NASA was not willing to move it for the docking, strange how people can't understand the most simple of concepts!

Happened several times on Mir, too, as I recall - particularly during the repair effort following the Progress collision with Spektr.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography