Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375349 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #800 on: 05/26/2017 10:37 pm »
Yes, we really need to get replace of those google ads at the bottom as the occasional annoying ad gets through. It is harmless and Amazon and only some people will see it, but noted and I'll get Mark to remove it seen as I flagged an issue with an ad a while ago. My patience is pretty much gone.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ppnl

• Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #801 on: 05/27/2017 07:15 am »

I have been having a problem for weeks now with the site constantly reloading and disabling the back button. Initially it seemed to be associated with an ad at the bottom. Something about gadgets one click away. I could reload until some other add loaded instead and it would work. but as soon as that add reappeared the back button stopped working again.

That ad eventually went away but the problem is still there and happens almost every time I load a NSF page. I have had problems before and they were usually google ads at the bottom. But now I'm mostly not getting google ads and the problem has been going for weeks.

Using Firefox.

Offline Dante80

• Athens : Greece
  • Liked: 835
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #802 on: 05/27/2017 07:57 am »
A question.

Articles posted on the main site frequently have illustrations/renders from the L2 community (btw Nathan, you are a god!).

Said pictures are posted in the article in non hyperlinked thumbnail form, pitifully resized. I understand why this happens, since having the thumbnails provides a valuable incentive for the reader to join L2, if only to get access to the full renders.

We also "advertise" said assets, both in the articles themselves and on the site sidebar. An example for the former.

(Images: NASA, SpaceX, and L2 artist Nathan Koga – The full gallery of Nathan’s (SpaceX Dragon to MCT, SLS, Commercial Crew and more) L2 images can be *found here*))

Now, a suggestion. It would be very cool if an L2 member could click on a thumbnail in the article and get to the full size image (the image itself, or the L2 post containing it). I know that we already have access to it, but the way the forum works makes us go on a hunt for them, when we see them on articles. At least, I know I do.

There are a couple of ways to make that happen. The most obvious would be to link the site CMS to the forum more so that you can log in with your forum account when you are there. That would need the most amount of coding though, I don't think it would be worth it.

Another approach would be the following. When you are on the forum and you do not have L2 access, you can view the L2 subforums but cannot access them. When you try, you get to this splash page.

If we changed the forum redirect to the subscription page for guests and non L2 members, then we would be able to provide hyperlinks for article images too. This way, we would get two benefits.

1. Be able to reach the image in L2 easily by just clicking on the thumbnail. When you make the article, just link to the post where the image is attached.

2. Provide another incentive for guests joining L2. The disclaimer at the end of the article is one, but getting a redirect when clicking on the thumbnail would provide a more immediate stimuli for getting the access. In most internet sites, all image thumbnails provided in an article are hyperlinked to their full size counterparts. It is natural for someone that reads an article to click on a cool image he sees, and then to see it in its full glory. Thus, this change would in my opinion considerably raise the number of hits on the subscription page, and also provide a more immediate incentive for the guest to make the leap and subscribe.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2017 07:59 am by Dante80 »

Offline Dante80

« Reply #803 on: 05/27/2017 08:10 am »
And another suggestion. When you edit a post, the forum software adds a notification for that at the bottom of the post. Example:

« Last Edit: Today at 10:59:00 by Dante80 »

Most Internet forums have this functionality, and it is for a good cause. Due to the discussion format, it is valuable to know when posts are edited by the Author.

Some forum software suites provide a text space when you edit a post, where you can specify the reason for doing it (for example typos, or additions, etc). I don't remember if that functionality is embedded or SMF 2.0, or if a forum hack is needed for it. When the function works, the end result is something like this:

« Last Edit: Today at 10:59:00 by Dante80 - Reason: Typos galore»

If we cannot get that though, I would suggest a more modest modification. Most internet forums give a small time period for the user to edit his post before the "last edit" notification is embedded at the end. This is to allow for post-post (sic!) typo modifications, that do not alter the context at hand. For that reason, most forums also disallow circumventing the "last edit" notification, if someone has already posted below you at the thread.

Setting the delay to 1-2m before the notification has to be added would be handy for some posters, that tend to write something and re-read it after submitting for typos and legibility. I think that NSF has that function.

Hope that helps, cheers..

« Last Edit: 05/27/2017 08:12 am by Dante80 »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #804 on: 05/27/2017 09:06 am »

I have been having a problem for weeks now with the site constantly reloading and disabling the back button. Initially it seemed to be associated with an ad at the bottom. Something about gadgets one click away. I could reload until some other add loaded instead and it would work. but as soon as that add reappeared the back button stopped working again.

That ad eventually went away but the problem is still there and happens almost every time I load a NSF page. I have had problems before and they were usually google ads at the bottom. But now I'm mostly not getting google ads and the problem has been going for weeks.

Using Firefox.

Yes, this one seems to be one of them.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2017 09:09 am by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #805 on: 05/27/2017 09:33 am »
The bottom ad space, which was hosting that troublesome ad, has been disabled while Mark works to ensure the space returns with google ads that don't cause issues. Note, the bottom space is the only space on the site right now where the ad is organic (catered). The rest are set ads, such as Novatech etc.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #806 on: 05/27/2017 09:47 am »
A question.

Articles posted on the main site frequently have illustrations/renders from the L2 community (btw Nathan, you are a god!).

Said pictures are posted in the article in non hyperlinked thumbnail form, pitifully resized. I understand why this happens, since having the thumbnails provides a valuable incentive for the reader to join L2, if only to get access to the full renders.

We also "advertise" said assets, both in the articles themselves and on the site sidebar. An example for the former.

(Images: NASA, SpaceX, and L2 artist Nathan Koga – The full gallery of Nathan’s (SpaceX Dragon to MCT, SLS, Commercial Crew and more) L2 images can be *found here*))

Now, a suggestion. It would be very cool if an L2 member could click on a thumbnail in the article and get to the full size image (the image itself, or the L2 post containing it). I know that we already have access to it, but the way the forum works makes us go on a hunt for them, when we see them on articles. At least, I know I do.

There are a couple of ways to make that happen. The most obvious would be to link the site CMS to the forum more so that you can log in with your forum account when you are there. That would need the most amount of coding though, I don't think it would be worth it.

Another approach would be the following. When you are on the forum and you do not have L2 access, you can view the L2 subforums but cannot access them. When you try, you get to this splash page.

If we changed the forum redirect to the subscription page for guests and non L2 members, then we would be able to provide hyperlinks for article images too. This way, we would get two benefits.

1. Be able to reach the image in L2 easily by just clicking on the thumbnail. When you make the article, just link to the post where the image is attached.

2. Provide another incentive for guests joining L2. The disclaimer at the end of the article is one, but getting a redirect when clicking on the thumbnail would provide a more immediate stimuli for getting the access. In most internet sites, all image thumbnails provided in an article are hyperlinked to their full size counterparts. It is natural for someone that reads an article to click on a cool image he sees, and then to see it in its full glory. Thus, this change would in my opinion considerably raise the number of hits on the subscription page, and also provide a more immediate incentive for the guest to make the leap and subscribe.

Right, so the site format on the news site (Wordpress CMS) - such as text width, images in the article and so on will all be revamped with the new site design. So that answers some already :)

The "error" a non L2 member gets when hitting a L2 link has to change. Totally right. Adding that to the new site design list. Great call. Needs to be a "this is what you could get and how to get it and why this is also a form of supporting the site you're clearing enjoying) :)

The side note - especially for people reading your post and thinking about this is "clicking thumbnail to enlarge" is a massive pain in the backside. It takes up to an hour to get from a draft (text) article to what you see on site. (Enter text, edit, format, add links (manually), finding and adding images (manually). To them have to have alternative sizes, clickable and with URLs. It'd almost be a full time job and this isn't anyone's full time job....and all for the sake of being a honey pot to social media who love to "rehost" images. Part solution is to watermark images, but that's even more work.

Not being lazy, I'm all for putting the hours in, but what if we had breaking news etc. However, per YOUR specific points: :)

1) I like the idea of this. Maybe for the new design site, but it could be implemented in the current format. Perhaps we'll try that as an experiment with the Static Fire article as that's already to go and I can spend some time before it goes on today setting that up with what are two L2 images in the article! Will report back ;)

2) Totally onboard with that. On the list and will be set up. Heck, we could look to change the "message" to simply sending people through to the L2 landing forum section for the interim! But ultimately yes, needs to be as you describe, a proper message. Leave that with us.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #807 on: 05/27/2017 09:52 am »
And another suggestion. When you edit a post, the forum software adds a notification for that at the bottom of the post. Example:

« Last Edit: Today at 10:59:00 by Dante80 »

Most Internet forums have this functionality, and it is for a good cause. Due to the discussion format, it is valuable to know when posts are edited by the Author.

Some forum software suites provide a text space when you edit a post, where you can specify the reason for doing it (for example typos, or additions, etc). I don't remember if that functionality is embedded or SMF 2.0, or if a forum hack is needed for it. When the function works, the end result is something like this:

« Last Edit: Today at 10:59:00 by Dante80 - Reason: Typos galore»

If we cannot get that though, I would suggest a more modest modification. Most internet forums give a small time period for the user to edit his post before the "last edit" notification is embedded at the end. This is to allow for post-post (sic!) typo modifications, that do not alter the context at hand. For that reason, most forums also disallow circumventing the "last edit" notification, if someone has already posted below you at the thread.

Setting the delay to 1-2m before the notification has to be added would be handy for some posters, that tend to write something and re-read it after submitting for typos and legibility. I think that NSF has that function.

Hope that helps, cheers..

All good points again. While I'll look at the admin options and see if it can be done right off the bat.....if not:

I think when we're adding the cowbell ahead of the revamp design launch, we'll have a section for such suggestions so they are good to go in the beta test version of the new site before it's launched as the live site. Your posts would be spot on for that.

PS The new site will be *this site* but with a better appearance and functionality. I don't want anyone worrying about "big changes". Everyone hates big changes to sites they are familiar with.

Offline Dante80

« Reply #808 on: 05/27/2017 10:25 am »
Many thanks for the prompt reply. Regarding this:

To them have to have alternative sizes, clickable and with URLs. It'd almost be a full time job and this isn't anyone's full time job....and all for the sake of being a honey pot to social media who love to "rehost" images. Part solution is to watermark images, but that's even more work.

An idea to bypass hotlinking or rehosting would be to link the thumbnail to the L2 post containing the image. NSF uses the attachment route for said content, so by linking to the walled post itself would not uncover the image.

For an example. Take this article.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/05/nasa-em-1-uncrewed-costs-main-reason/

It contains this thumbnail image:

Which corresponds to this post with the massive 4944x2532 original:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38476.msg1566738#msg1566738

If you hyperlink the thumbnail like this:

Then, if I have L2 access I get straight to the post with the attachment, giving me the option to download from there. If I don't have it..the site should redirect either here, or to a new splash page promoting L2 access.

It is impossible for someone to steal the attachment that way (unless he leaks L2 of course).
« Last Edit: 05/27/2017 10:29 am by Dante80 »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #809 on: 05/27/2017 11:48 am »
Yep. That linkage would be the route, as hard linking to the image would open full size regardless of browser and linking to the post it's attached to allows for the context of the thread, the post and the image.

I see the option in the CMS (attached), so we'll try it.

(The next step - per the site revamp) will be to go width on image, allowing for

Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text Text

Photo.
Caption.

Photo.
Caption.

Allows for better size images and captions that don't interfere with the article text.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2017 11:51 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #810 on: 05/27/2017 03:52 pm »
I'm not so keen on limiting edits. There are times when we mods ask people to go back and edit posts. We can do it but it's more work for us.  The suggestion of edit remarks/summary is good (and I do it when I edit other people's posts, by hand, unless I deliberately don't want to draw attention to the fact that I changed a swear word, etc, why embarass the member) and it's one that Wikipedia uses to good effect.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #811 on: 05/27/2017 04:11 pm »
I'm not so keen on limiting edits. There are times when we mods ask people to go back and edit posts. We can do it but it's more work for us.  The suggestion of edit remarks/summary is good (and I do it when I edit other people's posts, by hand, unless I deliberately don't want to draw attention to the fact that I changed a swear word, etc, why embarass the member) and it's one that Wikipedia uses to good effect.

I don't think he meant limit the edits.  He seemed to be asking for a small grace period before it starts marking it as being edited.  For example, you post it, fix a typo 2 minutes later, it doesn't show as being edited.  Not sure it makes much difference (although I have that happen on my posts all the time.)

Offline Dante80

« Reply #812 on: 05/27/2017 04:23 pm »
Yes, I was talking about a grace period of sorts. If you do pay attention to my posts for example, all of them have the edit notification below. English is not my native language, and I have acquired the bad habit of immediately re-reading a post I made so as to add something, fix a typo or change the syntax of a failed sentence (grammar and syntax in Greek is a bit different than in English, sometimes making my posts seem robotic or simply illegible).

Having a small grace period or a way to specify why I edited a post would be very cool..C:
« Last Edit: 05/27/2017 04:26 pm by Dante80 »

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #813 on: 05/27/2017 05:53 pm »
Yes, I was talking about a grace period of sorts. If you do pay attention to my posts for example, all of them have the edit notification below. English is not my native language, and I have acquired the bad habit of immediately re-reading a post I made so as to add something, fix a typo or change the syntax of a failed sentence (grammar and syntax in Greek is a bit different than in English, sometimes making my posts seem robotic or simply illegible).

Having a small grace period or a way to specify why I edited a post would be very cool..C:
OK, the 1-2 grace period makes total sense. There are many times where I have hit the SUBMIT button, only to make a change 10 seconds later, thus having that ugly stain of making an edit for simple typos etc on my post.

At first I thought you were recommending a 1-2 window total for allowing edits at all.  There are forums out there that are setup this way and I furiously dislike it.

Great work Chris and the NSF.com gang as a whole.  If you want SpaceFlight info and updates, it's one stop shopping on these forums.  All your efforts ARE noticed.  A big THANK YOU to you all!!   Cheers!
Paul

Offline ppnl

« Reply #814 on: 05/27/2017 06:02 pm »
The bottom ad space, which was hosting that troublesome ad, has been disabled while Mark works to ensure the space returns with google ads that don't cause issues. Note, the bottom space is the only space on the site right now where the ad is organic (catered). The rest are set ads, such as Novatech etc.

The space isn't totally disabled because I'm occasionally getting an ad. The thing is when I get an ad now the site works perfectly. Now it is when I don't get an ad that the back button is disabled and the page seems to try to refresh itself every 5 seconds or so. It is like an ad is trying to load and failing but tries again five seconds later.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #815 on: 05/27/2017 06:08 pm »
Thanks. Mark wanted to see if he had solved it, and it seems better in Chrome, but I hit firefox and that fool in a VR headset is still there ;) Passed it on to Mark.

Apologies to anyone struggling with this. It really does seem to be that one ad.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2017 06:14 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline ppnl

« Reply #816 on: 05/27/2017 08:31 pm »
Thanks. Mark wanted to see if he had solved it, and it seems better in Chrome, but I hit firefox and that fool in a VR headset is still there ;) Passed it on to Mark.

Apologies to anyone struggling with this. It really does seem to be that one ad.

Seems to be working now. At least after mousing around  for 10 minutes I have failed to have a disabled back button. And a good ad is opening at the bottom so looks good. Thank the head bit pusher for me.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #817 on: 05/30/2017 08:31 am »
IBM, host of the servers, is babbling on in a series of overnight technical messages about a router firmware upgrade that may result in up to three minutes of downtime. First e-mails say no downtime to public network, then the next said no downtime on the private network. So it'll either be no downtime that you'll notice, or a three minute window. So if we do go down for a few minutes you know what it was about. ;)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #818 on: 05/30/2017 10:02 am »
Another anti-climax. Seven e-mails and then this:

/ Event Updates /
- As of Tuesday 30-May-2017 09:59 UTC
This maintenance has now concluded.

;D

Didn't impact on the site's availability, so it was probably a typo about "public" access and it was the private access (as in site admin stuff) that was the three mintues. Anyhoo, all is well.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #819 on: 05/30/2017 05:35 pm »
Per the cookie message you will be seeing on the page. Just something all sites are doing. Started about a year ago with sites and I've seen it over that time on every site I've visited. We didn't put it on, SMF - the company behind the software - will have. Nothing to worry about. We've been using cookies since Day 1, so just click OK and you won't see it again on the device you're using.
« Last Edit: 05/30/2017 05:35 pm by Chris Bergin »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography